It is currently June 29th, 2024, 12:19 am

New Wifi Status Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
gschoppe
Developer

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by gschoppe »

i used to write notes to my instructors with my variable names... or code a separate program (a cooler one) within the comments... my best one was a translation of my code into two other languages, Shakespear and Whitespace, done entirely in my comments, and then commented out code to turn the assignment into a quine... it was awesome... the instructor hated me for it.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

nvme wrote:@jsmorley Well unless rainmeter naming conventions involve a lot of foo , bar and myAwesomeVariable, i think the plugin may fail the consistency check ... :(

/endsarcasm

Most of the variables used were pulled straight from the API header file, so it should be very self explanatory. I'll clean up the code a bit as well, and put the src code here when im done
I wrote an entire application at work which used FUBAR=001 as the error codes it displayed. It would pop up "Oh No! FUBAR 256 has occured!" in a message box. I took some flack for that... ;-)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gschoppe wrote:i used to write notes to my instructors with my variable names... or code a separate program (a cooler one) within the comments... my best one was a translation of my code into two other languages, Shakespear and Whitespace, done entirely in my comments, and then commented out code to turn the assignment into a quine... it was awesome... the instructor hated me for it.
I think the whole thing should be done as a series of haiku's...
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Oh I like you :lol:
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Just an FYI here:

I have noticed in the Windows 7 RC 1 64bit (as I am adjusting you latest skin)
That if you try to refresh too often, the API kicks out.
From what I can tell this is a Windows thing and may be because it is intentional, or the RC1 is an incomplete build, and may not be entirely stable.
If this is an intentional thing, I guarantee; skin builder will go insane!

The updates, are not affected

I have to shutdown Rainmeter, and then start again.
Also as is typical in the new Windows UAC schema. I have to run with Administrative Privileges from the Program File (x86)
But not from the C:/Rainmeter

I do not have this issue in the Vista 32 bit SP2
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Questions:
*Is it possible to get the signal strength for the available networks?

*Also when you get a chance, a command code list would be appreciated
ie: WifiInfoType=????????

That is about it for now
Thanks
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

A full guide is now in the first post of this thread, along with the latest build.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the API kicks out ?" does it stop updating ? or isn't returning anything ? or crashes somehow ?

As for signal strength of all visible networks, it can be done for Vista and Seven , but probably not for XP SP2/SP3 (if it is possible it will involve icky binary based data structures :evil: ). I will get back to adding more features in a few days, doing some work on my home theater this week :)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Apparently after refreshing several times.

I get a Windows nasty gram that says.

Link to API terminate, and can not be established.

I will get you the exact wording, next time I get hit with it ;)
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

Hmm, that seems odd because a new connection to the API is made every time you refresh Rainmeter (which should run the initialize() function where a new client-API handle is created). If you do see this error again try hitting refresh and see what that does.
Also get the new version (v1.4) I added a API specific function to free memory instead of using the C++ free() function, maybe that was the cause.
sublimnl

Post by sublimnl »

Is anyone else getting this error message? I am running Win7 RC1 x86 on a Dell Latitude e6400.

---------------------------
Rainmeter
Unable to open WLAN API Handle!
OK
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I am running into the same issue in the windows 7 64 bit.

I ran a compatibility test via the 7 RC1, and it suggests running in a Windows XP sp2 compatibility mode.

I will be testing through the weekend, and then through next week if the issue continues.

I am thinking, with comparison to the debug, that either the Windows 7 RC1 does not like the plugin, It is a UAC issue, or Windows 7 is broke.
I have already broached the subject to the folks over at MSDN.

At least there is now verification that this issue is happening in both the windows 7 32bit and 64 bit environs.
This Also appears to be isolated to Windows 7 at this time....hmmm :geek:

So far I have had absolutely no issues in Vista 32bit :D