It is currently July 1st, 2024, 2:40 am

New Wifi Status Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
sgtevmckay

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by sgtevmckay »

@ Schoppe_Senpai

Can NVME submit this for consideration as an official plugin for Rainmeter?
And have it packaged for Rainmeter release.

Once nvme is satisfied with his work; of course 8-)

I must get started in integrating with Mepu's old WiFi Monitor

Maybe not today.

I am so happy I am almost in tears. :cry:

The folks that have to forward to this community is too much for me at times :oops:
gschoppe
Developer

Post by gschoppe »

i'd love to see the wifi code make the trunk...

I'd want a bit more testing first...
win 7 and 64 bit if possible, but yeah, I'm all for it
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

Awesome, glad to see it worked out at last! And i will definitely take that breather now hehehe
The 64bit and Win7 testing sounds good, and i'll put up a reference for the measures / return values here shortly
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Let me square away a couple of issues, and I will get testing done in both Vista and windows 7 RC1 (64 bit).

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, if this works in Windows 7 64 bit, it should cross over to Vista 64 bit!??!!

Either way give me until Sunday to run a bunch of stuff through it, and travel around with the laptop, and do a bug-report

Is there anything special I should pay attention to or look out for?
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

nvme wrote:Awesome, glad to see it worked out at last! And i will definitely take that breather now hehehe
The 64bit and Win7 testing sounds good, and i'll put up a reference for the measures / return values here shortly

Thank you.

I shall kick it till it breaks or my foot hurts by Monday. Which ever comes first :twisted:
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

sgtevmckay wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, if this works in Windows 7 64 bit, it should cross over to Vista 64 bit!??!!
Yes! The Native Wifi API was written for Vista, and has not changed since. So if it works for Vista, it should be compatible with anything newer.
sgtevmckay wrote:Either way give me until Sunday to run a bunch of stuff through it, and travel around with the laptop, and do a bug-report

Is there anything special I should pay attention to or look out for?
Here are the things that i was not able to test fully:
-Detection of 802.11a/n bands
-Connections with WPA_Enterprise security
-Connection status (When you are connecting to a network, next to the SSID you should get either 'connecting...' or 'authorizing...' )
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

HAHAHAHA

You are so lucky you are dealing with and old IT Admin, and that I happen to have equipment around to test as you suggest.

I will have to run to the public library to test the N, but hey small price :D

It will be done :!:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

gschoppe wrote:i'd love to see the wifi code make the trunk...

I'd want a bit more testing first...
win 7 and 64 bit if possible, but yeah, I'm all for it
Hate to be picky, but it should also be looked at for consistency in coding standards with the rest of the project. Formatting, variable naming conventions etc... One of the things I'm impressed with in the Rainmeter code is that it is pretty consistent. "I know, if it was hard to write it should be hard to read..." But still. ;-)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Agreed

Unfortunately out of my sphere of control.

I am just the tester and cheer leading section. :ugeek:

I write the occasional wiki as well :D
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

@jsmorley Well unless rainmeter naming conventions involve a lot of foo , bar and myAwesomeVariable, i think the plugin may fail the consistency check ... :(

/endsarcasm

Most of the variables used were pulled straight from the API header file, so it should be very self explanatory. I'll clean up the code a bit as well, and put the src code here when im done