It is currently September 7th, 2024, 11:31 pm

Skin behind taskbar

General topics related to Rainmeter.
sl23

Re: Skin behind taskbar

Post by sl23 »

Yincognito wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:54 pm Wait for the so called AI in such products, I bet they're gonna get "creative" and find ways to train it for their (besides sometimes our) purposes... :sly:
Personally, I'm dreading all this AI shit! It's bad enough my car heater thinks for itself and it's a 2004 model! :rofl:
F**kin' annoys the hell outa me! I set it where I want and it just decides to go up or down on it's own, even though I set it to Manual! :twisted:
^ This ^ :thumbup: Not many of us "kindred spirits" remain though, most folks are happy with what they get, they go with the fashion and novelty. As long as they have their basics and some bells and whistles, who cares where they would end up at. The rest are slowly silenced to the point where others look surprised at them for stating or wanting the obvious normality.
Quite agree. This generation seem to be very much the sheeple. Even the ones that claim to be knowledgeable, I find are just fanatics about it all!
57686174 77696C6C 6265 77696C6C 6265
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 7:01 pmto Manual
You mean to the manual? See what I did here, to gently get on whatever was the topic again? :lol:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Um... har, har?
Stick to coding, you're better at that than comedy! O.O :p

Actually... now you mention it, I can't find custom context menus! lol
Well, I found the page, but no examples or terminology examples. :(

EDIT: Ok, found it. Was looking at a Rainmeter section page that didn't show context menu options!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 6:13 pm Actually, I upgraded a few of my machines from Windows 10 to 11 without any hassle whatsoever. Again, few things have changed, so there isn't much to go wrong. But, of course, a clean installation is always preferable. I just can't be bothered, since I have gazillions of things and personalized settings that would take me eons to catalog and reproduce on a new computer.
Each with his own preferences. I never upgraded, always installed a fresh Windows, but I admit this is not a proper approach for everybody. For me it is, but definitely not for everybody.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 7:12 pmStick to coding, you're better at that than comedy! O.O :p
I'm pretty good at that too, but I wasn't even trying... :D
sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 7:12 pmWell, I found the page, but no examples or terminology examples. :(
Seems like the Groundhog Day from 2021:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=38850
Some threads about it, they might help:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=13674
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=20050
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Oh god, sorry! lol I can't help it, I'm forgetful! :p
OMG!!! I was literally looking to do that same thing too :oops: :rolmfao: :rolmfao: :rolmfao:

I'll leave it a few years and ask again ;-)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

sl23 wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 7:27 pm Oh god, sorry! lol I can't help it, I'm forgetful! :p
I'll leave it a few years and ask again ;-)
Joking aside, I'm not sure regular users have it (I reckon so, just not 100% confident about it), but you could bookmark the topics of interest for later:
Bookmark Topics.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dex

Post by Dex »

I couldn't agree more. There is a last bastion of people who care to keep using their brains, but the majority prefers to just doze off.

I really cringe when I see all the great new AI stuff. So, with a push of a button, I can turn my gibberish into a formal letter. Great. But what if I actually went to school and learned to write those letters? Should I forget all of it by not using that skill, so next time my smartphone runs out of battery I can't crank one out because I have no idea how to do it without help? Seriously?

Maybe a bot who ties my shoes in the morning? And when it's in for repair, I go to work barefoot because I can't take care of the basics any longer?

I can't help but wonder where this will lead us as a society. We'll probably end up being a bunch of retards who don't know how to go pee without AI.

When I grew up, it was the time of the home computer. First a Commodore C64, then an Amiga. My first PC was a 386 SX 40. You had to figure everything out. No help. No shortcuts. No Google. But you learned how to solve problems. This is something that helps me to this very day. Back then, I thought young people would get ever smarter with computers and IT in general as they grow up with everything naturally.

Boy, was I in for a surprise. Working in IT, I encounter people from all walks of life, and young folks have literally no idea of even the simplest of things. Unless there's an app for that, they can't do it. They can't figure out anything mildly abstract on their own, everything needs to be spoon-fed. Some don't even have a computer because all they use is their smartphone. Put them in front of one, and they can't do the simplest of things. A lost generation.

And it's not just IT. Kids come right out of school and can't do simple math or use proper grammar. It'd be ok if it were me, since I've left school decades ago. But no, it's the ones who are currently going or have recently finished that can't type a straight sentence without 20 typos.

Sorry for the old man's rant, but one day these are the people who are gonna have to take care of me when I'm eventually out of my wits, and I know already it's not gonna be pretty. :-(
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Dex wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 7:48 pmI couldn't agree more.
[...]
Sorry for the old man's rant
I'm not an old man yet, but you took those words out of my mouth, and almost all from my generation think so (though they make the same mistakes, just slightly less often). It's one thing to use stuff as tools to enhance your life, it's another to have that life dependent on them to the extreme. The good thing is that nature has a way of balancing things out, since everything is a cycle. Generally speaking, only our mind should be untouchable and relatively independent, once it's not, it's game over and we become vegetables (or worse).
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Yincognito wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 7:45 pm Joking aside, I'm not sure regular users have it (I reckon so, just not 100% confident about it), but you could bookmark the topics of interest for later:
Bookmark Topics.jpg
I have wondered for a long time if that was possible as KVR has it. But never seen it here or anywhere else.
I've been looking for something but now just seen the bookmark option in the Spanner icon drop down menu. :D :thumbup: