It is currently June 16th, 2024, 4:30 pm

New Wifi Status Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
sgtevmckay

Re: New Wifi Status Plugin

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ok

May have an issue, but this maybe known of, do to a prior note in this thread.
Rain and I have been testing out a situation where the list will not appear if the plugin/skin is not logged in.
Keep in mind that I have an independent skin for the "LIST" measure.
The video below (be patient it is 00:01:37 long) shows what happens when we disconnect the logged in router.
This is not disconnecting from the computer, but shutting down the router I am connected to.
[rainflash]244,250,http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1016357/WiFi%20Test%2083.swf[/rainflash]
As you can see, the list is also disconnected as well. The list will not show available networks (in area) unless signed into and available Wifi Network. Once the router comes back on-line the "LIST" also comes back up as well
Screenshot - 7_5_2009 , 1_27_41 PM.jpg
The image above shows the router disconnected, but available networks available. Where the "LIST" skin has gone blank

Now this may be a situation that you had addressed earlier. Something to the effect of the information we are seeing is drawn from the connection point and not from the on board Wi-NIC card.

This being the case, there may be no work around, and a situation that will have to be accepted.

Rain and I have tested several routers and locations and the result is the same.

Therefore it is the conclusion that the "LIST" Measure is dependent on your computer having an established connection

Have any questions, let us know
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

@jsmorley - i posted a full guide and am posting updated versions of the plugin in the first post of this thread,so that new comers can access it easily. Also a skin showcasing all the features is included in the rarchive. Feel free to upload the guide and plugin itself elsewhere if you would like, i will also release the src soon when i get a chance.

@sgt - thats an interesting bug you found :P. And yes it is definitely a bug, because the LIST measure should always display any visible networks, regardless of connection status. Ill do some poking around and see if its possible to fix this
nvme
Developer

Post by nvme »

Error mentioned above has been fixed, new release is in the first post. I have also added a way of controlling the LIST information/styling.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Excellent.

I just downloaded and forwarded a it to Rain (aka. Chaos Reign) as well.

Give us a day or two and we will have an updated report :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

nvme wrote:@jsmorley - i posted a full guide and am posting updated versions of the plugin in the first post of this thread,so that new comers can access it easily. Also a skin showcasing all the features is included in the rarchive. Feel free to upload the guide and plugin itself elsewhere if you would like, i will also release the src soon when i get a chance.
I have put your excellent plugin into the Wiki at: http://uzaclan.com/RainWiki/index.php?title=WiFi_Status_Plugin

If you see things that need correction or want to add to it, you can:

1) Use the "Discussion" tab at the top of the page to let us know of anything you want changed

2) Register on the Wiki and let Sgt or I know that you have, and we will bump you to "author" so you can manage the page yourself.

Thanks again for this great plugin and all the hard work!
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I am here to tell you the current fixes work like a champ.

Unknown if the following suggestion, is even possible.

Would it be possible to add the Signal strength percentage to the "LIST"?

If not so be it.

Also, whatever you did was great, the list now orders the available connection by signal strength and not alphabetical.

I think you are ready to go live sir

Advise when you are ready, or if more testing is needed :D

Ooh, also before I forget, I would like to do a Beta Public release with my next skin set release, but I would have your authorization first?

Although personally, I would like to see this work placed to the trunk, and have it go out as an official plugin
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

nvme...

We are in the process of putting together a new "release" of Rainmeter, and would like very much to include your plugin in the build. If you are interested in this, we need a couple of things:

1) The source code. We would want to put the source in the version control software's "trunk" so it can be compiled when we build new versions of Rainmeter. To be included in the Rainmeter build it is required that your code be released under the GPL (GNU Public License), which is explained here: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

2) Any compiler directives which are different than the ones already set up when you download the Rainmeter source and compile using Rainmeter.sln as the "project". I assume you started with the Rainmeter source as a starting point and modified ExamplePlugin or added a new member to the project for your plugin? If so, everything should compile fine as is, If you changed any compiler directives to support something in your code, we would need to know that.

3) A compiled version of the .dll, so we can compare and be sure the one we compile in the build process is the same as your compiled version.

If you are ok with this, you can either post links to .zip files with what we need here, or send me a PM if you would prefer.

Need to get this done in the next 4 or 5 days though, as that is the schedule we have in mind for the release.
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

I believe there is a memory leak with this plugin to the point where I have had my rainmeter go over 100mb (ram in the task manager), granted i was running several skins when that did happen but if you read my thread, you will see that it has gone over 90mb while running few skins. Today with the help of Kaelri, jsmorely and DM in the IRC, they were able to get it down to the wireless.

Running two instances of rainmeter, only difference was one had my wireless meter running and the other didn't, here are excerpts from the chat (values of memory usage in K)
[23:55] <KiRe> and they are at: 4988 and 3632
[23:55] <KiRe> 5004, 3632
[23:55] <KiRe> 5024, 3644
[23:55] <KiRe> 5032,3644
[23:55] <KiRe> 5056,3644
[23:55] <KiRe> 5064,3644
[23:56] <KiRe> 5076,3632
[23:56] <KiRe> 5100,3632
[23:56] <KiRe> 5128,3632
[23:57] <KiRe> 5180,3632
[00:00] <KiRe> 5660,3644
[00:00] <KiRe> 5720,3644
[00:01] <KiRe> +800kb/6mins...~130kb/min...
[00:04] <KiRe> yeah... 6140 vs 3644... +1200K vs 0K
It is now 00:12 and they are at: 7428K vs 3656K

If you wish to read my code or see what skins i am running, see this thread

slight update: 00:17, 8044k vs 3656k
^ rainmeter noob.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I agree. I'm afraid there may well be a memory leak in this...
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

So it is with this plugin? I have have one skin that uses it and if I leave it on overnight I can get over 400MB. I just didn't know if it was the plugin or Rainmeter's net functions. I hope it can be fixed because I really do like this plugin.