It is currently September 14th, 2024, 9:56 pm

Gadgets 7.8.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
VL4DST3R

Re: Gadgets 7.7.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by VL4DST3R »

SilverAzide wrote: July 16th, 2024, 9:07 pm Hello again!

This situation looks an awful lot like you have a virtual adapter someplace. Make sure you have your Network Meter set to look at specific network adapters (i.e., you are not leaving the adapter settings blank). If you have setup specific adapters, ensure none of them are virtual. Each virtual adapter will double your totals.

To know more, let me know which Network skin you are using (Pro or non-Pro, I am assuming the non-Pro skin) and send a screenshot of the Settings to show your adapter setup.
Hey sorry for not replying, but you were totally right! and yes, the non-pro skin. I had both my ethernet and wifi adapters populated (even though I only use ethernet) and oddly enough even had the xbox controller wireless receiver populated under "Other interface". Removing them returned values to those also reported in task manager!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

VL4DST3R wrote: August 21st, 2024, 7:55 am Hey sorry for not replying, but you were totally right! and yes, the non-pro skin. I had both my ethernet and wifi adapters populated (even though I only use ethernet) and oddly enough even had the xbox controller wireless receiver populated under "Other interface". Removing them returned values to those also reported in task manager!
OK, great news! The Network Meter skins report activity as the sum total of all adapters, so to do comparisons you'd need to temporarily remove the other adapters from the configuration. Glad you got it sorted out!
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
XylemFlow

Post by XylemFlow »

Okay, I feel really dumb because I can't get the HWINFO gadget to work.

I tried to follow this (https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/hwinfo/) which was written for people who already know what things like "So all you need to do is create Registry measures to obtain each of those values you want to display in your skin" mean because it's not explained what that is or what to do with it. This (https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/registry/) wasn't helpful either because it, too, is written for people who already know what all that is and what it means.

[EDIT]Forgot to mention that I've also been through this document (https://github.com/SilverAzide/Gadgets/wiki/HOW-TO-Configure-HWiNFO)[/EDIT]

I next turned to ChatGPT to help and it at least helped me conceptualize how this works. We enable sensors and reporting in HWiNFO, which then puts data into the Registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\HWiNFO64\VSB). We use that info (labels, sensors, etc) to make Registry Measures that then go into an INI file (still not sure which one). Maybe. The app "HWiNFO VSB Viewer" has been helpful with that - I got that far, at least. I don't know the detailed steps, but I think that's roughly what happens. Right? I keep finding conflicting info so I'm not really sure.
2024-08-28 12_11_56-HWiNFO VSB Viewer 0.4.1.0.jpg
Well, despite my best efforts the Gadget simply reports "Not configured!". Clicking "Edit HWiNFO Settings" brings up a Variable.inc file, but I can't find anything that tells me what to do there, if anything. Listing the Indexes works and produces the expected results: I see a text file with the things I enabled in the HWiNFO Gadgets tab of the HWiNFO Sensors Settings.

That's as far as I've been able to get this to work (basically, not at all) and I don't know what to do from here. I'd really like to get it to work because I use a bunch of other gadgets from the Gadgets 7.7 pack so I'd like this one to work as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, for context, I was an IT pro for 15 years (MCSE and all that) and I've been around computers since 1981 (my Dad was into computers). I used to work with simple vbs or powershell (and KiXtart!) scripts as part of my job, for automation mostly, so I'm not completely out of my depth here. And that's mostly why I feel really dumb that I can't get this to work. I SHOULD be able to get this to work.

[EDIT #2]
The HWiNFO Rainmeter Plugin doesn't work either. HWiNFO is doing its thing on the right but the skin displays nothing and there's nothing anywhere to explain how to set it up. At least, I couldn't find anything useful that wasn't meant for someone who already knows how to create these things from scratch.
2024-08-28 13_51_26-#water-cooler _ The Abyss - Discord.png
[/EDIT #2]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by XylemFlow on August 28th, 2024, 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
::: XylemFlow
::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

XylemFlow wrote: August 28th, 2024, 2:40 pmAny help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Until SilverAzide replies to this, maybe you can check the relevant parts of the Gadgets' Wiki, see if there's enough there to help you with this:
https://github.com/SilverAzide/Gadgets/wiki
XylemFlow wrote: August 28th, 2024, 2:40 pmI don't know the detailed steps, but I think that's roughly what happens. Right?
Yes, exactly. I'll let SilverAzide go into details on this one (e.g. which file you should edit or what buttons to click), but yeah, that's the basic principle. Most of his skins do have instructions on what to do to make stuff work right in the .ini files' code (as ; preceded comments), something mentioned in the above wiki as well.
XylemFlow wrote: August 28th, 2024, 2:40 pmI SHOULD be able to get this to work.
Don't worry, we all need some time to get familiar with something new (like the way Rainmeter or various skins operate), regardless of how much previous knowledge we have. It's normal, and it obviously becomes easier with time. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
XylemFlow

Post by XylemFlow »

Thanks for the reply!
Yincognito wrote: August 28th, 2024, 3:23 pm Yes, exactly. I'll let SilverAzide go into details on this one (e.g. which file you should edit or what buttons to click), but yeah, that's the basic principle. Most of his skins do have instructions on what to do to make stuff work right in the .ini files' code (as ; preceded comments), something mentioned in the above wiki as well.
Sadly, nope, not for the HWiNFO Meter stuff. There's just a link for using multiple instances.
2024-08-28 14_04_41-Home · SilverAzide_Gadgets Wiki · GitHub — Mozilla Firefox.png
There is this, however: https://github.com/SilverAzide/Gadgets/wiki/HOW-TO-Configure-HWiNFO

It just doesn't work for me.

And the HWiNFO.ini has things like:

Code: Select all

; -------------------------- start HWiNFO data for local machine -------------------------
But no instructions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
::: It's better to have loved and lost than to never have had a good pair of speakers.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

XylemFlow wrote: August 28th, 2024, 6:07 pm And the HWiNFO.ini has things like:

Code: Select all

; -------------------------- start HWiNFO data for local machine -------------------------
But no instructions.
There must some misunderstanding somewhere, because there is no HWiNFO.ini in the current Gadgets suite. There's only HWiNFOMeter.ini (i.e. the skin you're trying to make it work) and HWiNFO.inc (i.e. a file holding a ton of variables you can set to various HWiNFO indexes in order to display the data referred by the latter in most of the Gadgets' skins that use HWiNFO, except HWiNFOMeter.ini).
XylemFlow wrote: August 28th, 2024, 6:07 pm Sadly, nope, not for the HWiNFO Meter stuff.
Here's a screenshot of what I did, when it comes to that skin:
Gadgets - HWiNFO Meter.jpg
So, from start to finish (you can skip the steps you already performed):

1) install Rainmeter, and keep it running
2) install and configure HWiNFO, like the first steps here, and keep it running
3) install Gadgets, tick the HWiNFO Meter to load it, like in the top right of the screenshot
4) click the top right wrench icon in HWiNFO Meter to open up its Settings skin, like in the leftside of the screenshot
5) from that HWiNFO Meter Settings skin:
  a) click List HWiNFO Indexes to open up HWiNFOIndexList.txt, like in the center right of the screenshot
  b) click Edit HWiNFO Settings to open up Variables.inc, like in the bottom right of the screenshot
6) because of 2), I already had the Total CPU Usage indexed as 13 at 5)a), but obviously your indexing might differ as this is just an example
7) because of 6), I can add the Total CPU Usage as the first row in the HWiNFO Meter skin, by assigning 13 to the Sensor1 variable at 5)b)
8) save 5)b)
9) right click on the HWiNFO Meter skin and choose Refresh to reflect the changes you made

If performing the needed steps correctly and with the current Gadgets version, you should see the label and value of the data corresponding to whatever HWiNFO index you chose to display in the skin, just like in the screenshot. Yep, it's that easy, but you need to do this on the right files, see the "misunderstanding" quoted eariler. Let us know how it goes! ;-)
XylemFlow

Post by XylemFlow »

Yincognito wrote: August 28th, 2024, 7:22 pm There must some misunderstanding somewhere, because there is no HWiNFO.ini in the current Gadgets suite.
You're right! Wrong file. I have chronic pain and I don't ever sleep well so I'm kind of fuzzy.
Here's a screenshot of what I did, when it comes to that skin:
You, sir, are a Genius! With a capital G, even. That was simple and straight forward enough for me to get it to work. Thanks!
2024-08-28 15_36_34-D__Documents_Rainmeter_Skins_Gadgets_HWiNFO Meter_HWiNFO Meter.ini.png
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

XylemFlow wrote: August 28th, 2024, 7:39 pm You're right! Wrong file. I have chronic pain and I don't ever sleep well so I'm kind of fuzzy.

You, sir, are a Genius! With a capital G, even. That was simple and straight forward enough for me to get it to work. Thanks!
2024-08-28 15_36_34-D__Documents_Rainmeter_Skins_Gadgets_HWiNFO Meter_HWiNFO Meter.ini.png
No worries, it happens, nobody's perfect but we all try to be. Great news that you finally got it to work - you're welcome and enjoy this very nice SilverAzide suite! :great:
XylemFlow

Post by XylemFlow »

Yincognito wrote: August 28th, 2024, 7:58 pm No worries, it happens, nobody's perfect but we all try to be. Great news that you finally got it to work - you're welcome and enjoy this very nice SilverAzide suite! :great:
This is my favorite Rainmeter suite. The HWiNFO bit is new, so I'm not sure where to put it, but I've had some of the others on my second screen for months and months now.
2024-08-28 16_00_15-.png
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

XylemFlow wrote: August 28th, 2024, 8:02 pm This is my favorite Rainmeter suite. The HWiNFO bit is new, so I'm not sure where to put it, but I've had some of the others on my second screen for months and months now.

2024-08-28 16_00_15-.png
Looks great, I'm sure you'll find a place for the HWiNFO Meter newcomer too! :thumbup: