It is currently September 18th, 2024, 1:29 pm

Gadgets 7.8.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 7.7.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

emp00 wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:57 am Just another user's opinion, I also like it very much! By the way, the tooltip showing more info and giving explanations looks great as well. However, maybe some renaming would be good? Proposal:
- "In use --> "Total incl. file cache"
- "Modified" --> unclear to me what this shows, could maybe be deleted?
- "Standby" --> "Software RAM usage"
- "Free" --> Ok, of course self-explanatory
:-)

Question: In your screenshot, the percentage value (blue color, next to the bar) shows 43% -> this is now obviously the "lower" value of Software RAM usage without the file cache data. Previously, the higher percentage was shown here. Does this also mean, that this "lower" value will be shown in the graph (Graph / Show RAM) as well? That's fine, I think! Just wanted to hint on the graph display, making sure the skin is consistent in this respect.
Glad you like it; it's good to get a second opinion! But the way the memory is shown *is* a little confusing, I agree with you on that.

So the 43% (the bright section of the bar graph) is the same as before, it is the "Used / Total" percentage. The extra dim part of the bar is the "Cache" memory, which is supposed to be "Modified + Standby", as shown in Task Manager and Resource Monitor, and the unused remainder of the bar is "Free" (but not the same "Free" as shown in the top of the skin, so I will call this "Unused" to keep them separate).

The traditional names at the top of the skin appear to be:
"Used" = "In use + Modified"
"Free" = "Standby + Unused"
"Total" = total installed RAM

In Resource Monitor:
"Available" = "Standby + Unused"
"Cached" = "Modified + Standby"
"Total" = "In use + Modified + Standby + Unused"

So this tells me the dim bar is wrong in my screenshot; it should actually be the Standby number only (not including Modified), since Modified is already included in the "Used" value.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

emp00 wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:57 am
Maybe something like this?
Image2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emp00

Post by emp00 »

SilverAzide wrote: May 28th, 2024, 6:58 pm Maybe something like this?
Wow, excellent explanation for sure!

However, I personally would rather delete most of the text, just to make the tooltip smaller. I would not want to have such a super-large tooltip when hovering over the "nice and small" CPU meter. That's why I love the Gadgets, they are super-small and show everything I need with just a glance! Of course it's your choice @SilverAzide - I can live with everything, because in the end, it's again every user's choice to modify the skin if desired -> that's the Rainmeter-spirit ;-)

What would be do without you maintaining this top notch Rainmeter suite... I really mean it.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

emp00 wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:25 pm Wow, excellent explanation for sure!

However, I personally would rather delete most of the text, just to make the tooltip smaller. I would not want to have such a super-large tooltip when hovering over the "nice and small" CPU meter. That's why I love the Gadgets, they are super-small and show everything I need with just a glance! Of course it's your choice @SilverAzide - I can live with everything, because in the end, it's again every user's choice to modify the skin if desired -> that's the Rainmeter-spirit ;-)

What would be do without you maintaining this top notch Rainmeter suite... I really mean it.
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of this tooltip either. In fact, I think this whole cache/standby/etc. stuff is just going to cause endless questions and confusion. I'm thinking this idea was interesting and all, but I'm probably going to scrap it.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:40 pm Yeah, I'm not really a fan of this tooltip either. In fact, I think this whole cache/standby/etc. stuff is just going to cause endless questions and confusion. I'm thinking this idea was interesting and all, but I'm probably going to scrap it.
A more compact variation, if interested:
Memory.jpg
Unfortunately, tooltips can't make schematics, because apart from the "bar graph" that apparently has its own principles, it's as simple as:
Memory Schematics.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: May 28th, 2024, 9:19 pm A more compact variation, if interested:
Memory.jpg
Unfortunately, tooltips can't make schematics, because apart from the "bar graph" that apparently has its own principles, it's as simple as:
Memory Schematics.jpg
Now there's some good thinkin'!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: May 28th, 2024, 9:32 pm Now there's some good thinkin'!
Yeah, had a similar conundrum myself in my CPU skin - I solved it by allowing the user to toggle between grouping systems via middle click (per core vs per category). As yet another alternative, it could be possible here too (the 4 branches of RAM vs the 3 branches of RAM, depending on what system the user prefers to see). Your choice. ;-)

P.S. The 3 branches naming can be adjusted to avoid confusion with the 4 branches one too (specifically Used vs In Use).
prophet4NO1

Post by prophet4NO1 »

SilverAzide wrote: May 27th, 2024, 6:40 pm So, something like this...?

Image1.png

The "Cache" value is shown as a dimmer blue section on the RAM graph (and which = Modified + Standby) and matches Task Manager's value.

That is pretty much what I was thinking. :thumbup:
redorbroder

Post by redorbroder »

SilverAzide wrote: May 19th, 2024, 3:31 pm Hi Redorbroder! Good to hear from you again. Sorry to hear you are having issues!

Just to clarify my understanding, you are still using Gadgets 5.5.1, correct?

If so, because you have a new GPU card, you will need to completely reconfigure the HWiNFO sensor IDs for the GPU using the Shared Memory Viewer (SMV). To do this, you can open the GPU Meter Settings and click the links to show the HWiNFO variables file and the SMV. Then, find the GPU variables and update them to match what is shown in the "Sensor ID and instance" values and the individual "Entry IDs" for each item in the SMV.

If your SMV looks like this, for example:
Screenshot 2024-05-19 112335.png

Then your configuration would be this:

Code: Select all

; sensor ID and instance
HWiNFO-GPU0-SensorId=0xe0002000
HWiNFO-GPU0-SensorInstance=0xb

; entry IDs
; GPU temperature (degrees)
HWiNFO-GPU0-Temp=0x1000000
Let me know if you run into any issues.
Hello SilverAzide!

Apologies for jumping in and disrupting the new Gadgets features thread...

Back to the GPU issue...
I can't find the GPU in SMV, only the CPU, HHDs, etc.
It looks like Top GPU is working properly?
Screendumps
Gadgets
SMV
Do you have time and any ideas??
I don't know how to solve this.

Thank you, kind regards,
redorbroder
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

redorbroder wrote: May 30th, 2024, 7:30 am I can't find the GPU in SMV, only the CPU, HHDs, etc.
Does the Windows Device Manager show your GPU(s)? The motherboard seems to have a Crossfire configuration, but that shouldn't matter unless the GPU utilities temporarily disable the card when not used (apparently, this sometimes happens with Optimus for NVidia cards, albeit HWINFO64 does apply some tricks to wake it). Other than that, it could be either a hardware, driver, or HWINFO64 version / support problem - might worth to post about this on the HWINFO64 forums, since in this case a Rainmeter skin only works with what the SMV provides, can't show GPUs out of thin air.

Maybe SilverAzide has other / better ideas? :???: