It is currently September 8th, 2024, 2:40 am

Gadgets 7.8.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
CoJoe

Re: Gadgets 7.5.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by CoJoe »

SilverAzide wrote: August 12th, 2023, 3:50 pm To show a GPU temp bar meter, I would need a temperature value that is a percentage of something. CPUs have a TjMax value that I can use as the maximum value and calculate the percentage, but I don't know if such a thing exists for GPUs. My nVidia card shows a "Thermal limit" sensor where throttling starts, but I don't think this is the same thing.

In any case, your observation about the inconsistent appearance is a valid one. I'll consider it if I can find a way to show temperature as a percentage. Thanks for the feedback!
TjMax is the thermal throttling limit for the CPU, so the Thermal Limit throttling stat for the GPU be the equivalent, no? I don't know if it's substantially different but it sounds like that would be the best stat for "100%", or possibly set an override value the same way as the CPU 'Override TjMax' of 100°c? I might see if I can do this myself if I can figure out how to modify the GPU Temperature line but I don't think I have that knowledge/skill.

==============================

In other news, I was able to add a line for temp to the CPU graph!

To add:
Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Gadgets\All CPU Meter\CpuMain.inc
Search "--- Graph ---" and add to bottom of section:

Code: Select all

[MeasureCPUTemp]
Measure=Registry
RegHKey=HKEY_CURRENT_USER
RegKey=SOFTWARE\HWiNFO64\VSB
RegValue=ValueRaw#HWiNFO_CPU0_DTS_DistToTjMax#
MinValue=(#TempInCelsius# ? 0 : 32)
MaxValue=(#TempInCelsius# ? 105 : 220)
Group=HWiNFO

[MeterLineTemp]
Meter=Line
MeterStyle=StyleGraph
MeasureName=MeasureCPUTemp
LineColor=#PaletteColor16#
Hidden=(#HideGraph# || #HideRamGraph#)
This uses the same scaling as the GPU temp meter ([MeasureGPUTemp] in GPUMain.inc was my example). I didn't know how to set a specific color and I wanted it to be red, so I set it to use the 16th core color and you can modify the meter color by changing that. It's janky but it works :P

Is this something you might want to add to future releases? I can't be the only person that wants to see CPU temp on the graph too. It's janky but it probably wouldn't be hard to implement better.
Last edited by CoJoe on August 15th, 2023, 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

CoJoe wrote: August 12th, 2023, 7:16 pm TjMax is the thermal throttling limit for the CPU, so the Thermal Limit throttling stat for the GPU be the equivalent, no? I don't know if it's substantially different but it sounds like that would be the best stat for "100%", or possibly set an override value the same way as the CPU 'Override TjMax' of 100°c? I might see if I can do this myself if I can figure out how to modify the GPU Temperature line but I don't think I have that knowledge/skill.
Sounds like a reasonable idea. I'll add this into the next version of the GPU Meter; I thought of an approach that will work whether you have the thermal limit sensor or not.

CoJoe wrote: August 12th, 2023, 7:16 pm In other news, I was able to add a line for temp to the CPU graph!

I was able to follow the example of [MeasureGPUTemp] in GPUMain.inc to apply proper scaling, so this uses the same scale as the GPU. It's janky in how it picks color since I set it to apply whichever color you used for the 16th core color, as I didn't know how to set a specific color.

Is this something you might want to add to future releases? I can't be the only person that wants to see CPU temp on the graph too. It's janky but it probably wouldn't be hard to implement better.
This one I'm less inclined to do, as most people use per-core temps. But if you want the line to change color to match the display, then all you need to do is extend the measure that drives the temp display meter colors to also include the graph line.

To do this, locate the measure [CalcHWiNFOPercentTjMax]. Simply add !SetOption and !UpdateMeter bangs to set the color of your line in your [MeterLineTemp] meter. For example:

[CalcHWiNFOPercentTjMax]
IfCondition=(CalcHWiNFOPercentTjMax <= 25)
IfTrueAction=[!SetOption ...][!SetOption ...][!UpdateMeter ...][!UpdateMeter ...][!SetOption MeterLineTemp LineColor "#ColorTempCold#"][!UpdateMeter MeterLineTemp]
This assumes you are using HWiNFO; if you are using SpeedFan or CoreTemp, there are separate measures for this.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
CoJoe

Post by CoJoe »

SilverAzide wrote: August 12th, 2023, 10:42 pm Sounds like a reasonable idea. I'll add this into the next version of the GPU Meter; I thought of an approach that will work whether you have the thermal limit sensor or not.
Sounds good! I eagerly await the next release :D these things take time and energy though so no worries if it takes a while.
SilverAzide wrote: August 12th, 2023, 10:42 pm This one I'm less inclined to do, as most people use per-core temps. But if you want the line to change color to match the display, then all you need to do is extend the measure that drives the temp display meter colors to also include the graph line.

To do this, locate the measure [CalcHWiNFOPercentTjMax]. Simply add !SetOption and !UpdateMeter bangs to set the color of your line in your [MeterLineTemp] meter. For example:

[CalcHWiNFOPercentTjMax]
IfCondition=(CalcHWiNFOPercentTjMax <= 25)
IfTrueAction=[!SetOption ...][!SetOption ...][!UpdateMeter ...][!UpdateMeter ...][!SetOption MeterLineTemp LineColor "#ColorTempCold#"][!UpdateMeter MeterLineTemp]
This assumes you are using HWiNFO; if you are using SpeedFan or CoreTemp, there are separate measures for this.
Ah that does make sense then why you'd not want to add it. I'm happy with it staying the color that it is though, I'm used to it being red & not changing; in fact I changed the other temp display text to always be red too ;P
CoJoe

Post by CoJoe »

Quick mockup of what the GPU Temp meter changes could do for consistency, seeing VRAM-Temp-Usage and RAM-Temp-Usage match up is very satisfying :)

I'm not sure how good this would look when more options are enabled in settings since I have a very minimalistic setup, but I'm sure the other statistics could be moved above or below the three meters to keep them together
mborghi

Post by mborghi »

Hi
Is this normal when running the CPU-Z benchmark? Cores usage over 100%!
Thanks
Snap4.jpg
PD: Excellent skin!, I switched to this from ModernGadgets a few days ago because it crashed with the latest RM update.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emp00

Post by emp00 »

118% ==> you're overclocking, dude (scnr) :-)
mborghi

Post by mborghi »

emp00 wrote: August 16th, 2023, 7:11 pm 118% ==> you're overclocking, dude (scnr) :-)
I am not...
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

mborghi wrote: August 16th, 2023, 6:58 pm Hi
Thanks

PD: Excellent skin!, I switched to this from ModernGadgets a few days ago because it crashed with the latest RM update.
Glad you are enjoying the Gadgets! :thumbup:

Yes, this is perfectly normal and expected. You can read more about this here: INFO: CPU performance exceeds 100%.

As emp00 indicated, you are in fact overclocking. But it is nothing you did, of course... AMD did it for you! All modern CPUs have a turbo boost mode than will run the CPU cores above the base clock speed. My Core i9 boosts nearly 200% over the base clock. Looks like your 5900X has a 3.7GHz base clock and a 4.8GHz boost, so you could in theory (depending on cooling and etc.) hit 130% usage.

If you decide to use the legacy time-based counters to limit your performance to 100%, be aware that Windows 11 22H2 and later has a "bug" that shows usage artificially low, and the stats will not match task manager. If you need more info let me know!
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
mborghi

Post by mborghi »

SilverAzide wrote: August 16th, 2023, 9:27 pm Glad you are enjoying the Gadgets! :thumbup:

Yes, this is perfectly normal and expected. You can read more about this here: INFO: CPU performance exceeds 100%.

As emp00 indicated, you are in fact overclocking. But it is nothing you did, of course... AMD did it for you! All modern CPUs have a turbo boost mode than will run the CPU cores above the base clock speed. My Core i9 boosts nearly 200% over the base clock. Looks like your 5900X has a 3.7GHz base clock and a 4.8GHz boost, so you could in theory (depending on cooling and etc.) hit 130% usage.

If you decide to use the legacy time-based counters to limit your performance to 100%, be aware that Windows 11 22H2 and later has a "bug" that shows usage artificially low, and the stats will not match task manager. If you need more info let me know!
Ok, thank you for the explanation, I supposed that was the reason after reading the first post reply that mentions overclocking.
CoJoe

Post by CoJoe »

mborghi wrote: August 16th, 2023, 6:58 pm Hi
Thanks

Snap4.jpg

Same reason I swapped too, and while it was rough setting things up I'm enjoying the change :) I've found the meters in Gadgets easier to read.