It is currently September 12th, 2024, 8:16 am

Can Rainmeter monitor a second disk other than D:?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
TonyCzar

Can Rainmeter monitor a second disk other than D:?

Post by TonyCzar »

I'd like to configure Rainmeter to monitor my drive F:. Is it possible?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Can Rainmeter monitor a second disk other than D:?

Post by Yincognito »

TonyCzar wrote: August 6th, 2024, 6:55 pm I'd like to configure Rainmeter to monitor my drive F:. Is it possible?
Generally speaking, yes:
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/freediskspace/
Particularily speaking, nope, if you don't tell us which skin you're talking about. Rainmeter is just a general platform for skins, so whatever particular behavior you're interested in is all about the code in the skins (which must follow the general syntax and structure used in Rainmeter, of course).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

TonyCzar wrote: August 6th, 2024, 6:55 pm I'd like to configure Rainmeter to monitor my drive F:. Is it possible?
No, as Yincognito said, you can't configure Rainmeter, but you can configure the skin you're working with. I assume you're working with the Disks skin of the default illustro suite, which comes with Rainmeter itself, when you install it. If this is the case, right click the skin, click Edit skin and replace the disk1 or disk2 variable in the [Variables] section (note that disk2 exists only on the 2 Disks.ini skin, 1 Disk.ini doesn't have it, having only disk1) of the code by F:. So replace for instance the disk2=D: variable by disk2=F:. Don't forget to refresh the skin when you did this and you saved the file.
TonyCzar

Post by TonyCzar »

Thank you, you are exactly right. I've only used the native functionality of Rainmeter; never played with Skins. 🙂

Tony
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

TonyCzar wrote: August 6th, 2024, 9:37 pm Thank you, you are exactly right. I've only used the native functionality of Rainmeter; never played with Skins. 🙂

Tony
You're welcome from our part, but just to be clear, there is no native functionality of Rainmeter, because Rainmeter by itself (i.e. without any skin loaded) does exactly nothing, it just sits there in the system tray without any reaction. To "play" with Rainmeter you have to "play" with some skin that you load in Rainmeter, and to change a skin's behavior you typically have to edit that skin's code.

I assume balala was right that you were referring to the Disks skin of the default illustro suite, correct? Did you manage to monitor F: eventually, as per his instructions? :???:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: August 6th, 2024, 10:36 pm You're welcome from our part, but just to be clear, there is no native functionality of Rainmeter, because Rainmeter by itself (i.e. without any skin loaded) does exactly nothing, it just sits there in the system tray without any reaction. To "play" with Rainmeter you have to "play" with some skin that you load in Rainmeter, and to change a skin's behavior you typically have to edit that skin's code.
I think Tony meant he never installed new skins, just used the illustro skins which have been activated when he installed Rainmeter. Most probably he didn't even realize he can activate (even less install) other skins, or can deactivate one (or more) of the activated illustro skins.
My guess, at least...
Yincognito wrote: August 6th, 2024, 10:36 pm Did you manage to monitor F: eventually, as per his instructions? :???:
Same here, Tony: did you get it working properly?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: August 7th, 2024, 11:40 am I think Tony meant he never installed new skins, just used the illustro skins which have been activated when he installed Rainmeter. Most probably he didn't even realize he can activate (even less install) other skins, or can deactivate one (or more) of the activated illustro skins.
My guess, at least...
Yep, I agree that's what he probably meant. My reply was also directed at potential future readers - especially beginners - because confusing the role of Rainmeter with that of the skins is a common misunderstanding in the early stages of working with Rainmeter. ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: August 7th, 2024, 11:56 am Yep, I agree that's what he probably meant. My reply was also directed at potential future readers - especially beginners - because confusing the role of Rainmeter with that of the skins is a common misunderstanding in the early stages of working with Rainmeter. ;-)