It is currently September 21st, 2024, 5:26 am

Rainmeter silently crashes randomly every single day after hours of running fine (dll error in Event Viewer)

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
just4747

Rainmeter silently crashes randomly every single day after hours of running fine (dll error in Event Viewer)

Post by just4747 »

Pretty much every day, Rainmeter seems to silently crash on me (no error, no message, no popup, all desktop widgets just disappear and app exits from windows toolbar as it completely shuts down). This happens at random and usually doesn't happen until the PC has been on (whether awake or asleep) for several hours already. I am running the latest version of Rainmeter on Windows 11 64-bit.

When I check the Windows application Event Viewer right away, I find this message:

Faulting application name: Rainmeter.exe, version: 4.5.18.3727, time stamp: 0x64c7da7d
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.3733, time stamp: 0x67ca8829
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000000000010c8f9
Faulting process id: 0x0x3CFC
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DAE38A84DEBC4A
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: edd651a8-065b-4408-a236-bcd6edb8f2f7
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I see that it names ntdll.dll but I am not sure what exactly is happening or why. I tried Googling this file and error but nothing really came up.
Does anyone know what I can try or what might be happening?

Thanks.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter silently crashes randomly every single day after hours of running fine (dll error in Event Viewer)

Post by balala »

I am also not really sure what the ntdll.dll file is used for, but the first thing in such cases I think to, is always the skins you are using. One of them might cause the problem. So, what skins are you using? You check this in the Skins tab of the Manage Rainmeter dialog. Double click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area to get opening the Manage Rainmeter dialog and click the Active skins button, to get the list of the activated skins. Which skins do you have active?
just4747 wrote: August 1st, 2024, 3:07 pm (no error, no message, no popup, all desktop widgets just disappear and app exits from windows toolbar as it completely shuts down).
Note: in Rainmeter we're not using widgets, but skins.
just4747

Re: Rainmeter silently crashes randomly every single day after hours of running fine (dll error in Event Viewer)

Post by just4747 »

balala wrote: August 1st, 2024, 3:28 pm I am also not really sure what the ntdll.dll file is used for, but the first thing in such cases I think to, is always the skins you are using. One of them might cause the problem. So, what skins are you using? You check this in the Skins tab of the Manage Rainmeter dialog. Double click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area to get opening the Manage Rainmeter dialog and click the Active skins button, to get the list of the activated skins. Which skins do you have active?

Note: in Rainmeter we're not using widgets, but skins.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I know they are just skins but I just call them widgets because they've always reminded me of widgets on old versions of Windows and essentially function and look the same.

I am currently using 7 skins on the desktop:
  • Google Search: Google Search Bar
  • Modern Gadgets (4 skins): CpuMeter; DisksMeter; GpuMeter; NetworkMeter
  • VCloudsWeather2: V Clouds Weather 2 - 5DaysH
  • Win10 Widgets: Performance - Combo
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I would check About / Log from the context menu when the skin(s) are running, to see if one of them is flooding the log with errors.
just4747

Post by just4747 »

jsmorley wrote: August 1st, 2024, 3:55 pm I would check About / Log from the context menu when the skin(s) are running, to see if one of them is flooding the log with errors.
Hi - yes there is a constant stream every second of this error:

ImageName: Unable to open: C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\ModernGadgets\@Resources\Assets\Images\warning.png (ModernGadgets\DisksMeter\DisksMeter.ini)

I looked and the @Resources folder does not exist at all there, nor do any png files in any of its subfolders. Not sure what to do to fix but seems like it might be related...
just4747

Post by just4747 »

I put a transparent png file in that location and the error has stopped, per:

https://github.com/raiguard/ModernGadgets/issues/244

Just not sure if this is the cause of the crashing issue, but it may be. I also found out that this skin, ModernGadgets hasn't been supported for a while and there is a similar/current skin like it called Gadgets here (I may switch to this one instead):

https://github.com/SilverAzide/Gadgets
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

just4747 wrote: August 1st, 2024, 4:39 pm I put a transparent png file in that location and the error has stopped, per:

https://github.com/raiguard/ModernGadgets/issues/244

Just not sure if this is the cause of the crashing issue, but it may be. I also found out that this skin, ModernGadgets hasn't been supported for a while and there is a similar/current skin like it called Gadgets here (I may switch to this one instead):

https://github.com/SilverAzide/Gadgets
Yes, adding a transparent png file was the fix for the crashing issue for that version of ModernGadgets.

If you switch to the Gadgets suite, there is a "Modernizer" patch you can get here that will adjust the skins to get you a little closer to the ModernGadgets appearance.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
just4747

Post by just4747 »

SilverAzide wrote: August 1st, 2024, 4:59 pm Yes, adding a transparent png file was the fix for the crashing issue for that version of ModernGadgets.

If you switch to the Gadgets suite, there is a "Modernizer" patch you can get here that will adjust the skins to get you a little closer to the ModernGadgets appearance.
Awesome, thanks!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: August 1st, 2024, 4:59 pm Yes, adding a transparent png file was the fix for the crashing issue for that version of ModernGadgets.
Is a missing image a crashing issue? I never experienced something like this. Didn't try Modern Gadgets in this sense, but never saw something like this on other skins.
just4747

Post by just4747 »

balala wrote: August 1st, 2024, 6:37 pm Is a missing image a crashing issue? I never experienced something like this. Didn't try Modern Gadgets in this sense, but never saw something like this on other skins.
Maybe because it's happening every second it eventually causes some memory issue or something but no clue. For all I know it will keep crashing regardless bc that's not the cause, then I will be back at square one, which will suck lol. Not sure what else to check after that.