It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:41 pm

Valistart disabled windows key

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
dckrell

Valistart disabled windows key

Post by dckrell »

*sigh* should've known better than to download unmaintained projects, anyways, I have tried almost everything, uninstalling valistart and reinstalling, uninstalling rainmeter even, doesn't work. Really annoying, does anyone else have the same issue or can help ? It is really annoying. Extra info: On win 11. the windows key works for a few seconds on startup, then it stops working. if i spam the windows key while valistart is installed (and the replace windows key option is on) it sometimes glitches it out and makes the windows key be pressed until spammed again.

halp
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Valistart disabled windows key

Post by Yincognito »

dckrell wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:59 pm *sigh* should've known better than to download unmaintained projects, anyways, I have tried almost everything, uninstalling valistart and reinstalling, uninstalling rainmeter even, doesn't work. Really annoying, does anyone else have the same issue or can help ? It is really annoying. Extra info: On win 11. the windows key works for a few seconds on startup, then it stops working. if i spam the windows key while valistart is installed (and the replace windows key option is on) it sometimes glitches it out and makes the windows key be pressed until spammed again.

halp
Well, it's not really about unmaintained projects, there are plenty of them working just fine for years or even decades if done properly. The "problem" with ValliStart and JaxCore is that, as nice and complex as they are, they try to do a bit too much for what Rainmeter is really capable of (my humble opinion). Which is not a bad thing in itself, but sometimes it matters.

Have you tried posting your issue on the ValliStart page on this forum?
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=38570
On DeviantArt it seems comments were disabled due to too many help requests, but maybe you can check the Discord channel mentioned there or its documentation on the GitHub page.

If none of them works for you and you know what you're doing, you can check this info after you uninistalled / deleted ValliStart, maybe this is the way the skin is using the Windows key (if that's the case):
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-windows-key-start-shortcut/455878b1-5252-4dba-8077-8410c6160f99

Other than that, properly "unininstalling" ValliStart should, in theory, solve your problem, unless there's some leftover script somewhere in the skins folder or elsewhere, that's still running on your Windows start up (unlikely, but just to cover all angles).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
dckrell

Post by dckrell »

I didn't post on the valistart form because i don't want to necropost, the discord and github is completely abandoned with the discord containing tons of spam and scams, the solution above does not work as valistart does not use the registry. I'm lost here... gonna try safe mode later on to see if its somehow managed to do something with system files

EDIT 1: win + l works, i think it may be something to do with nircmd? As the powershell files isn't related to disabling the windows key?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

dckrell wrote: March 28th, 2024, 3:37 pmEDIT 1: win + l works, i think it may be something to do with nircmd? As the powershell files isn't related to disabling the windows key?
I don't know, only you do - I can't see whether you have NirCMD on your system or not, if there is some hotkey set in your running processes, if it's a CTRL, ALT or Shift "leftover lock", if your keyboard works fine or not, if there are other software or script running at startup, etc. I mean, I can mention generalities on how and where to usually look for issues, but without some meaningful details in other areas (which you can investigate though), there isn't much I can tell. :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth