It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:58 pm

HWiNFO | Resizable Gauges 4.0 [Light Mode Update]

Skins that monitor system information
RicardoTM

Re: HWiNFO | Resizable Gauges 3.5 [2024 Update]

Post by RicardoTM »

Sozo wrote: February 17th, 2024, 4:09 am 2. Is it possible to make it so you can change the color of the gauges and the gauge list to white, with dark/black text? Basically make an option for everything to be negative of the current color?
Hey the update is ready, Light theme is not implemented yet but here are white versions of the gauges for you. Just replace the originals with these (you may want to backup the originals). Of course you will have to edit the other colors yourself.
Light.rar
Originals are at @Resources/Images/Themes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sozo

Post by Sozo »

RicardoTM wrote: February 20th, 2024, 12:36 am Hey the update is ready, Light theme is not implemented yet but here are white versions of the gauges for you. Just replace the originals with these (you may want to backup the originals). Of course you will have to edit the other colors yourself.

Light.rar

Originals are at @Resources/Images/Themes
Cheers, everything's perfect now. Especially with the new font outlines that are highly visible on both white and black gauges.

The CPU usage is well under 4%, which is 5 times less CPU usage than before the update, not to mention I also made the refresh rate 2 seconds.

The white gauges look pretty good too, though the "Tough" white version needs a bit more contrast between its foreground and background, and the "Digital" white version foreground is slightly brighter than its background, so it's not completely seamless-looking like the black version, but these are very small issues I can fix. Other than that, I think the white gauges are good to be released in the future.

Again, thanks for all your help.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Sozo wrote: February 20th, 2024, 5:17 am Cheers, everything's perfect now. Especially with the new font outlines that are highly visible on both white and black gauges.

The CPU usage is well under 4%, which is 5 times less CPU usage than before the update, not to mention I also made the refresh rate 2 seconds.

The white gauges look pretty good too, though the "Tough" white version needs a bit more contrast between its foreground and background, and the "Digital" white version foreground is slightly brighter than its background, so it's not completely seamless-looking like the black version, but these are very small issues I can fix. Other than that, I think the white gauges are good to be released in the future.

Again, thanks for all your help.
Sure, they still need some polish and I'll make sure they look the best when fully implemented. These are just for you so you can deliver your gift :). Since that update won't be released soon.

Although this might depend on everyone's cpus, I tested with 6 gauges and it didn't go above 1%. I run an old i7 6700, it stayed drifting between 0 and 0.5% (when running only the gauges with no other skin active, an update rate of 5 seconds, and not being manipulated). It can go up when hovering with the mouse but couldn't find a way to avoid it, it seems like inline effects (the text's "glow") are quite cpu heavy.

The workaround would be to add a way to disable these things for users with lower end hardware.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: February 20th, 2024, 5:52 am Sure, they still need some polish and I'll make sure they look the best when fully implemented. These are just for you so you can deliver your gift :). Since that update won't be released soon.

Although this might depend on everyone's cpus, I tested with 6 gauges and it didn't go above 1%. I run an old i7 6700, it stayed drifting between 0 and 0.5% (when running only the gauges with no other skin active, an update rate of 5 seconds, and not being manipulated). It can go up when hovering with the mouse but couldn't find a way to avoid it, it seems like inline effects (the text's "glow") are quite cpu heavy.

The workaround would be to add a way to disable these things for users with lower end hardware.
Yes, inline shadow is indeed CPU intensive, especially if used in multiple inline settings at the same time, like needed to simulate the glow effect. The skin size on screen is also relevant here, since larger skins / meters (possibly using larger images / shapes, or images scaled up via altering their original W and H) use more CPU when drawn. Also, like I said elsewhere, the effect is cumulative, so if you have other "CPU intensive" skins loaded at the same time (like it's usually the case, e.g. either other gauges or, like me, the animated skins from my suite loaded as well, for a similar 4% total CPU usage on my Ryzen 5600H), then resource consumption will increase overall. Using dynamic variables (including nested ones, which are by default dynamic) slightly add to this too.

Generally, using either static or dynamic update dividers to make skins lighter on the CPU does help (and sometimes massively), but in the end, the main consumer of resources in skins is the workload and the frequency involved in redrawing skins, and this depends on the type, size and amount of visual elements in the skin as well as the [Rainmeter]'s Update value (the latter being non-dynamic and representing how often the skin is updated and redrawn, regardless of any update dividers elsewhere in the skin, by the way). One can place a part of the workload from the CPU on the (preferably, dedicated) GPU via using Hardware Acceleration, of course, but the workload will be the same, just distributed more efficiently.

Anyway, even 4% total CPU usage is a perfectly reasonable resource consumption for Rainmeter using this type of skins (and possibly others alongside them), so I wouldn't worry too much about it. No visually dynamic benefit comes for free, regardless of software, and there are many factors (some either unavoidable or non negotiable, so to speak) influencing this.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Yincognito wrote: February 20th, 2024, 10:14 am Yes, inline shadow is indeed CPU intensive, especially if used in multiple inline settings at the same time, like needed to simulate the glow effect. The skin size on screen is also relevant here, since larger skins / meters (possibly using larger images / shapes, or images scaled up via altering their original W and H) use more CPU when drawn. Also, like I said elsewhere, the effect is cumulative, so if you have other "CPU intensive" skins loaded at the same time (like it's usually the case, e.g. either other gauges or, like me, the animated skins from my suite loaded as well, for a similar 4% total CPU usage on my Ryzen 5600H), then resource consumption will increase overall. Using dynamic variables (including nested ones, which are by default dynamic) slightly add to this too.

Generally, using either static or dynamic update dividers to make skins lighter on the CPU does help (and sometimes massively), but in the end, the main consumer of resources in skins is the workload and the frequency involved in redrawing skins, and this depends on the type, size and amount of visual elements in the skin as well as the [Rainmeter]'s Update value (the latter being non-dynamic and representing how often the skin is updated and redrawn, regardless of any update dividers elsewhere in the skin, by the way). One can place a part of the workload from the CPU on the (preferably, dedicated) GPU via using Hardware Acceleration, of course, but the workload will be the same, just distributed more efficiently.

Anyway, even 4% total CPU usage is a perfectly reasonable resource consumption for Rainmeter using this type of skins (and possibly others alongside them), so I wouldn't worry too much about it. No visually dynamic benefit comes for free, regardless of software, and there are many factors (some either unavoidable or non negotiable, so to speak) influencing this.
Yup, I tried deactivating dynamic variables for all the text meters (and activating them only when necessary) but there was no real benefit, it was actually more complicated when communicating with the settings and hsliders skin. So I only did it on mesures and the image meters, these only use dynamic variables when the state measured value changes, and when the design is changed. Only deactivating inline shadows completely would help (only when on hover) but was not worth it, I like those effects lol.

By the way, you said images only when scaled up, in this case the images are only scaled down. So I guess no problem there.

Mmm, not sure if I have hardware acceleration on. I'll check that, didn't test with it, didn't even remember that option existed lol.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: February 20th, 2024, 9:33 pm Yup, I tried deactivating dynamic variables for all the text meters (and activating them only when necessary) but there was no real benefit, it was actually more complicated when communicating with the settings and hsliders skin. So I only did it on mesures and the image meters, these only use dynamic variables when the state measured value changes, and when the design is changed. Only deactivating inline shadows completely would help (only when on hover) but was not worth it, I like those effects lol.

By the way, you said images only when scaled up, in this case the images are only scaled down. So I guess no problem there.

Mmm, not sure if I have hardware acceleration on. I'll check that, didn't test with it, didn't even remember that option existed lol.
The CPU usage benefit in not using dynamic variables exists, it's just that it's typically so small that it can't be noticed for "normal" skins - but yeah, it's definitely inconvenient without dynamic variables for some things. The scaling down process itself is also probably harder to notice in terms of CPU usage, or maybe it's balanced / canceled by the fact that skins use less CPU to draw fewer pixels then, though the image / meter size will still count regardless of scaling it or not (obviously by far not as much as when scaling is involved). The effect of HA can be seen for really intensive stuff, and depends on some factors that will at times produce less significant results than expected.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Yincognito wrote: February 20th, 2024, 10:07 pm The CPU usage benefit in not using dynamic variables exists, it's just that it's typically so small that it can't be noticed for "normal" skins - but yeah, it's definitely inconvenient without dynamic variables for some things. The scaling down process itself is also probably harder to notice in terms of CPU usage, or maybe it's balanced / canceled by the fact that skins use less CPU to draw fewer pixels then, though the image / meter size will still count regardless of scaling it or not (obviously by far not as much as when scaling is involved). The effect of HA can be seen for really intensive stuff, and depends on some factors that will at times produce less significant results than expected.
In this case Hardware Acceleration does help. Especially when the lists are open.

Gifts Speed: 2.5x

Lists Closed:

HA ON
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
HA OFF
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (1).gif
Lists Open:

HA ON
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (2).gif
HA OFF
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (3).gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: February 21st, 2024, 9:10 pm In this case Hardware Acceleration does help. Especially when the lists are open.
Excellent! The only two minor issues with HA are these:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=38618
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=39135
but of course they're edge cases that almost nobody would bump into (I do push Rainmeter to its limits at times, thus I did), so overall it's a good thing to have if you need to ease things on the CPU.
RicardoTM

Resizable Gauges 4.0 [Light Mode Update]

Post by RicardoTM »

New update released. Package on main post.

As Sozo asked:
Sozo wrote: February 17th, 2024, 4:09 am Is it possible to make it so you can change the color of the gauges and the gauge list to white, with dark/black text?
Light Mode is now implemented. This is a really important update because the file restructure is now complete. This is practically the most stable version of all. Future updates won't delete user created gauges and their variables anymore. Raincolors.lua has been implemented.

Version 4.0 - Sixth Update
  • Full file restructure.
  • Now all skins share the same files.
  • Implemented raincolors.lua.
  • New safe color function, text color won't turn unreadable.
  • Added Mode toggle button to Settings and Tutorial skins.
  • Complete redesign.
  • Added white gauges.
  • Some variables and folders changed name.
  • HSLiders code optimization.
  • Small custom menu changes.
  • Minor bug fixes.
  • A ton of small changes I don't even remember.
Sa'Kagé

Re: HWiNFO | Resizable Gauges 4.0 [Light Mode Update]

Post by Sa'Kagé »

Hey Ricardo,

I just upgraded from 1.0 and I am not sure, if this is intended behavior.
When the value for a gauge is too small to have at least 1 segment colored, it also disables color of texts (see pic below).

Is there a way to have static text color for flat gradient?

Edit: Actually linked the pic, not the page it is embedded in