It is currently October 6th, 2024, 2:26 pm

Windows main audio volume per channel?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Windows main audio volume per channel?

Post by rbriddickk84 »

Greetings!

I was wondering as i was using the Win7AudioPlugin that if somehow would be possible to change also the single channel volume? So i was thinking of making a volume and balance skin.

I am making small amplifiers and i often plug-unplug devices to check for the correct wiring for Left and Right, but all the time going into settings of audio is bothersome (i am using an external usb soundcard which unfortunately has no balance, only volume) .

If there are no possibilities for that, i understand. Also thanks for the answers in advance! :)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Windows main audio volume per channel?

Post by Yincognito »

rbriddickk84 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 6:38 am Greetings!

I was wondering as i was using the Win7AudioPlugin that if somehow would be possible to change also the single channel volume? So i was thinking of making a volume and balance skin.

I am making small amplifiers and i often plug-unplug devices to check for the correct wiring for Left and Right, but all the time going into settings of audio is bothersome (i am using an external usb soundcard which unfortunately has no balance, only volume) .

If there are no possibilities for that, i understand. Also thanks for the answers in advance! :)
I'm afraid Win7AudioPlugin can't do that. The only standard plugin that handles left and right channels is AudioLevel, but that's only to get them, not to set them. You might have more success with a dedicated user plugin (if there is any, that is), or some PowerShell / Python / batch scripts for that purpose, though I can't guarantee there are any... :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Post by rbriddickk84 »

Yincognito wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:28 am I'm afraid Win7AudioPlugin can't do that. The only standard plugin that handles left and right channels is AudioLevel, but that's only to get them, not to set them. You might have more success with a dedicated user plugin (if there is any, that is), or some PowerShell / Python / batch scripts for that purpose, though I can't guarantee there are any... :???:
Yeah, i was afraid of that, i don't know any user plugins either. :confused:
But thank you for your kind response tho :)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

rbriddickk84 wrote: November 5th, 2023, 7:51 pm Yeah, i was afraid of that, i don't know any user plugins either. :confused:
But thank you for your kind response tho :)
No problem. PowerShell is still a possibility though.
ZXCVBOT

Post by ZXCVBOT »

I am going to assume you are talking about left/right balance, so here goes:

Yes, I searched but was unable to find any plugins for this job, but, got some answers for the same nonetheless.

Now, note this: I have not tested either of them and have not checked their workings entirely, so, I can not guarantee anything (especially C# ones). On that note, check this link:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/74506639/change-balance-level-for-audio-volume-from-powershell

Also, if you are asking for mixer/all-in-one kind of thing, that utilises the command line:

https://www.rlatour.com/setvol/

Check if they help you.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Now that ZXCVBOT mentioned command line utilities, I guess NirCmd can do something like that as well... :???:
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Post by rbriddickk84 »

Thanks for your answers!
Yes, i found that only as well, and tried to research the powershell stuff, never tried it.
It's kind of complicated workaround i guess, maybe i should just wait till someone has the time and knowledge and need to make a plugin of it. I have to learn powershell and/or C# to achieve something, i don't know how hard those, i looked into C# once very long ago for a little.
I also try to search more tho.

Thank you guys for the time and helps really!
ZXCVBOT

Post by ZXCVBOT »

Powershell is not that difficult to say, but I get what you mean.. (I get scared by C++ too - Not Java/JS - or even LUA for that matter). Plugins will take much longer if you wait - it'll make you say - why did I not implement this earlier :D .

NirCMD did the volume change, but not balance (I think).
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Post by rbriddickk84 »

ZXCVBOT wrote: November 7th, 2023, 9:40 am Powershell is not that difficult to say, but I get what you mean.. (I get scared by C++ too - Not Java/JS - or even LUA for that matter). Plugins will take much longer if you wait - it'll make you say - why did I not implement this earlier :D .

NirCMD did the volume change, but not balance (I think).
Probably true :)
Still, i try to make things as few steps as possible to achieve skins. If i could make things work in C# + PowerShell somehow, i still don't know how to communicate it with Rainmeter. :???:
So yes, if the goal would be so groundbreaking idea, then probably i would take the effort to grind through all the programmings and research for it. But it's just an audio balance :)
My laziness makes me to do an extra more clicks with the mouse (instead of researching and coding): Audio Devices -> Properties -> Levels -> Balance :lol:
ZXCVBOT

Post by ZXCVBOT »

You can do something like this from rainmeter skin:

Parameter = <some-script>.<some-extension> -<options> --<some-other-options>

Where you can change the values through rainmeter... Just tell which way would you prefer - it'll make searching and implementing things a bit easy.

For example, I'm going to select SetVol.

Code: Select all

[MeasureBalance]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=RunCommand
Program=<CMD/Terminal/PowerShell>
Parameter=(SetVol <Volume 1-100> balance <Balance1>:<Balance2>)
Edit: You will need the SetVol utility from the link above for this to work. Also, I searched for NirCmd and Volume Balance/Channels: You can do that too, but require much higher values (0-65535 - that old-limit for codes): https://nircmd.nirsoft.net/setvolume.html

Where, you can refer the numbers in <> to some meter that increases/decreases the value. C'mon! It's much easy when you implement it! You are a Sage - now act like one!