It is currently May 5th, 2024, 11:16 am

help with animation - i'm new here

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
LuciferVisuals

Re: help with animation - i'm new here

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: April 28th, 2023, 11:56 pm I'll let balala answer the specific question(s) if needed, I'm just going to point out the obvious:
Thank you O wise one, I will study your entire post later, Including the PPS etc, still very much at the learning stage, but slowly getting there :thumbup:

Have not started re-organizing my code yet, but I am still thinking about how exactly I am going to do it, as It will be a big job I want to get that right and do not want to do it twice, and basically keep having new ideas that I want to "take into account" before I do that. Ideally that means play with them possibly get them working, at least to a proof of concept stage before doing that.

The latest is in principle "simples", had an idea about your Wormhole, vortex suggestion. WHAT IT, when you mouse clicked onto the gates event horizon (pool of water) you triggered the vortex which played, but then then you arrived somewhere else, so the wallpaper on your desktop changed to another planet. More advanced would be select your destination (wallpaper) first. Each location would have a small star gate, probably in the distance, click on that, and a big working one appears to come back, or go elsewhere... Cool?

P.S. I let the commented OnUpdateAction there because, along with the Invert variable, it's the shorter version what [MeasurePingPong] from the manual does, when it comes to a continuously updated measure (i.e. not paused or disabled). The +1 and -1 in the related conditional can be modified to +0 and -0 if staying for one more update on the interval bounds is desired. Naturally, since it's commented, you probably won't need it so it can be removed - it's there for reference, since in your case the pausing, measure inversion and unpausing do the same in the mouse actions.

P.S.S. Oh, and can you enclose the code you post between code tags like illustrated below? It would be much easier to follow that way:
Code.jpg
I'll study all you tips (inc the above) when i'm sully awake, I seriously overslept this morning, and for some reason, that's left me feeling tired, need a few cups of coffee to fully wake up.

Thank you again for you ongoing time and interest in my stumbling around in the world of code.

Keith

PS finding a usable Iris effect to use was surprisingly difficult and "VERY" time consuming... LOL, and though not perfect what I eventually found works ok
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: April 28th, 2023, 11:56 pm

P.S.S. Oh, and can you enclose the code you post between code tags like illustrated below? It would be much easier to follow that way:
Code.jpg
Sorry to ask a such a stupid question, where exactly are the code tags?

I haven't even found quote tags..... I have just been manually putting them in, now I realize there is a list of them "somewhere", probably obvious, but I cannot see them.

Keith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: April 28th, 2023, 11:56 pm I'll let balala answer the specific question(s) if needed
I decided to pursue my code first, apart from anything else I needed to understand WHY it was not working, even though, it's clearly not the best way to do this. This is still a learning process for me. So I needed to see what I needed to do to make it work..... And thanks to your pointing out that page in the manual, almost the very fist thing I noticed was, which was basically what I thought was going wrong, the counters were not resetting after one use, so I added it to both.......

Code: Select all

[!CommandMeasure "measureopenIrisFrameCalc" Reset"]  Well still in generic terms in the manual. 
And mine now at least works perfectly. :great: (Testing manually inserted code things, seeing as I had the chance, though not really needed on that one line, not really expecting them to work TBH..... Still will know when I post this)

Now satisfied that my thought process was at least on the right track (If clumsy) :rolmfao:

Ill experiment with yours, and ping pong etc.

Thanks again.. K
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

LuciferVisuals wrote: April 29th, 2023, 12:29 pmI decided to pursue my code first, apart from anything else I needed to understand WHY it was not working, even though, it's clearly not the best way to do this. [...] And thanks to your pointing out that page in the manual [...]
Good idea - understanding why something doesn't work is the first step to do it correctly on your own afterwards. See? The manual is useful, as you already noticed; you don't have to read it all (I never did, for example), just focus / navigate to the right bits of info / measures / meters you need for the task at hand and usually there won't be more that a few lines that give the answer you were looking for. As for the variant you prefer, i.e. 2 sets vs 1 set, disabling vs pausing, that's you choice. Personally, I found the latter more compact and straightforward, but that's just me.

I see you discovered the </> code tags button eventually. These are used for long code that spans on multiple lines so that it's put into its own code box, so to speak. Other useful tags are the Snippet ones for short commands that you want to be placed on the same line as the rest of the text, the link one for say a link from the manual that you can copy from the browser address box after you CTRL+click on blue background option names and such, the image one for internet images, etc. Other than that, the .rmskins, .zips or screenshots can be attached using the Attachements tab, and so on. Neither of them are a must to be used, but they do improve readability for both you and others, so they help most of the times.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: April 29th, 2023, 12:59 pm Good idea.... See? The manual is useful,
That's the only way I can learn TBH. And I never doubted how useful the manual would be IF I COULD JUST READ IT.... So many words not related to what I'm looking for, Still in spite of that I have been delving for some time now, Just an excruciatingly slow way for me to find what I need, basically meaning I have to eliminate everything not related and see if anything is left. This time I think this line was the first on the page, I immediately understood what it did, which was what I thought was missing, so revised it and stuck it in my code and it worked.. RESULT. :)
I see you discovered the code tags button eventually.
Eh ..... No..... I guessed that was what they might be and tried it, got it right first time, another RESULT. :)

I'm getting good at this, mind you by the end of next week I have been doing this for FOUR WHOLE WEEKS, so you would expect to see some improvement by now.... LOL. :D
Other useful tags are.....
Is there a list of them anywhere?

As you will no doubt remember, I found and worked out how to use attachments, sent you a few. LOL.

Keith

Thanks again for your patience
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

LuciferVisuals wrote: April 29th, 2023, 1:45 pmJust an excruciatingly slow way for me to find what I need, basically meaning I have to eliminate everything not related and see if anything is left.
Well, any measure or meter has a limited number of options, and there are a limited number of bangs that can be applied to them, so, in essence, there isn't any other thing to do than: identify the section that you need, identify the option or bang that serves your objective, read the info about it to know how to use it and whether it has some limits that you have to compensate otherwise. The rest is just a bit of intuition and creativity and lo and behold, the solution is within reach.
LuciferVisuals wrote: April 29th, 2023, 1:45 pmIs there a list of them anywhere?
You have it under your nose, on the row(s) above your message box, where the code tags button is located as well. Hover over them to see their syntax.
LuciferVisuals wrote: April 29th, 2023, 1:45 pmThanks again for your patience
No problem. Thanks for your willingless to learn. ;-)
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: April 29th, 2023, 3:14 pm You have it under your nose, on the row(s) above your message box, where the code tags button is located as well.
[/quote}

Ah found them "eventually" so there is only the two then "Quote" and "Code"..... I thought from the Edit to one of my post from post from Brian there were a list of them, I misunderstood that. And I thought all those icons above were to do with text formatting, (and figured I could survive without that), at least until I'm not trying to get more important things sorted out.

Thanks again.

I cant exactly explain this, but I cannot read the code the way you (or most people) do, but I can see patterns in it and I know what those patterns do, and now i'm tuned into them, that's getting easier and easier, I'm an artist, so have an eye for detail. But.... Then comes the really hard part for me, to modify them to do the same thing with my images or meters or code. in other words changing a few characters to match what I have and where I have it..... The bit that should be easy, but is what's constantly holding me back, all the time. Still swings and roundabouts. I suppose.

Thanks for answering such a basic silly question.

Keith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: April 28th, 2023, 11:56 pm Both of these are either alluded to or explicitly stated in the manual, especially in the case of Loops - check the 2nd example on that page, it's almost what you need.
I have now looked at yours, and the one in the manual. When I look at it line by line I understand what it's doing, both of them but looking at the whole thing I cannot see where it gets it's image data from. So looks incomplete unless I am missing something, very basic and obvious. Rremember I'm still a beginner.

I cannot see any reference to where this code gets it's images from, so I assume there has to be at least one meter details the images, and then uses this code to manipulate them?

Any chance of a simple example of that?

Keith
LuciferVisuals

Post by LuciferVisuals »

Yincognito wrote: April 28th, 2023, 11:56 pm [\quote]

Is something like this needed ????
[meterIrisFrame]
meter=Image
ImageTint=255,255,255,255
x=220
y=225
w=700
h=700
ImageName="#@#Iris\Iris[measure ***SOMETHING?*****].png"
DynamicVariables=1
Hidden=1
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

LuciferVisuals wrote: April 29th, 2023, 6:05 pmRremember I'm still a beginner. I cannot see any reference to where this code gets it's images from, so I assume there has to be at least one meter details the images, and then uses this code to manipulate them? Any chance of a simple example of that?
In that post I said that (yes, one can quote himself too):
Yincognito wrote: April 28th, 2023, 11:56 pmThis does what you need when it comes to measures, I'm guessing adapting / adjusting stuff for your buttons / other meters / scenario won't be a problem by now, if you prefer to do it this way.
I understand the beginner thing, but after some time dealing with these things, it should become easier - as you already said, trying things yourself is one of the best ways to learn. I could make into an example that does everything you want, but then you won't get the chance to do it on your own. It's not a big deal, after all: in my code, you have the measure that outputs 0,1,...10,...1,0 and all you need to do is to create one simple Image meter that uses that measure value in its ImagePath option (obviously, the 0,1,...10 images would be the iris PNGs). You can pretty much copy the buttons from your own code eariler and put the bangs from the corresponding mouse actions into the button command options. That's all there is to it, really.