It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:26 pm

New Shape Meter

Changes made during the Rainmeter 4.0 beta cycle.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: New Shape Meter

Post by Yincognito »

Youkai1977 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 12:05 amBut ... unfortunately a little past the goal. Because only in your EDIT2: (quoted here) you have roughly hit what doesn't work for me. [...] But well, even if you missed the target with your proposed solution or even partially missed it, your effort should not be in vain for me.
[!SetVariable "ShapeYCor" "(9 + [#CURRENTSECTION#:Y])"] <-> That was the part that had to be corrected by giving commands to set a variable. Called here by me "ShapeYcor" (for Shape Y Coordinate).
Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it, LOL. Although the form of the solution I proposed wasn't precisely how you implemented it, the idea was the same. You had to get rid of #CURRENTSECTION# from Offset 0,#CURRENTSECTION# and replace it with a variable holding the Y position of the item; the only difference was that I proposed storing the item index as a variable and use it to get the [Item_ItemIndex:Y], which is why I said:
Yincognito wrote: January 30th, 2021, 2:04 pm...it looks to me that you'd want the value of [Item_Number:Y] there, where Number would be the number of the currently hovered item meter.
and further explored the approach in my first EDIT, while you, on the other hand, stored that Y directly as a variable in the snippet you mentioned from [Style6]'s MouseOverAction.

But yeah, the part where I talked about mouse variables was unnecessary, since you could get the item's Y without it - hence my edits and your eventual solution. Anyway, I think it's better when folks find solutions themselves (as opposed to copying or replicating stuff from others), cause doing so helps them get better at what they do, so it's all good - well done! :thumbup:
Youkai1977 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 12:05 amPS .: I followed your tip with Notepad ++ and the RainLexer.
What can I say?! It takes a little getting used to for me. But I already wonder how I could ever work without Notepad ++
Yep, the big advantage is the text's colors - it makes much easier identifying bits of the code. Add a dark theme to it and it will be softer on the eyes as well:
Notepad++ INI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Youkai1977

Post by Youkai1977 »

Yincognito wrote: January 31st, 2021, 1:46 am Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it, LOL. Although the form of the solution I proposed wasn't precisely how you implemented it, the idea was the same. You had to get rid of #CURRENTSECTION# from Offset 0,#CURRENTSECTION# and replace it with a variable holding the Y position of the item; the only difference was that I proposed storing the item index as a variable and use it to get the [Item_ItemIndex:Y], which is why I said:

and further explored the approach in my first EDIT, while you, on the other hand, stored that Y directly as a variable in the snippet you mentioned from [Style6]'s MouseOverAction.
As I said, I didn't criticize you or your approach. On the contrary, it was clear that you had made the right move.
And ultimately, who knows what it's good for, it shouldn't be a bad thing to have several solutions at hand. Because if Rainmeter taught me one thing, a solution doesn't always have to work twice. :???:
Anyway, I think it's better when folks find solutions themselves (as opposed to copying or replicating stuff from others), cause doing so helps them get better at what they do, so it's all good - well done! :thumbup:
Thank you for the praise.
Yes that's probably true, learn by doing it yourself.
But scouring the forum and other sources, and possibly copying first, I still like to use it.
However, this method has often been, and is current to me, precisely now also the undoing.
Because if you don't really deal with what code snippet / syntax etc. is actually there for what, then in the worst case it will be really tight with your own knowledge.
Because that's exactly what I actually took with my current SKIN suite. I started by copying it in 2014. And over the years I only changed the look and layout. Seldom has a function been added or something similar.
And so we are now writing in 2021, I have been using Rainmeter for 7 years now and basically don't really know anything about the code basics.
But that should change now, as I said, I really want to be able to say that "I" did and created it.
For me, however, really difficult, because there would still be the language barrier. Forums or something similar, certainly not such a good manual like "https://docs.rainmeter.net/" in my language "German" is almost an absurdity. Sometimes I have the feeling that nobody in Germany knows Rainmeter. Only Facebook, Instagram, Youtube ... and currently Corona -.-
Yep, the big advantage is the text's colors - it makes much easier identifying bits of the code. Add a dark theme to it and it will be softer on the eyes as well:
Yes with the colors is really a relief. I also set it so dark. Really nice. Also the tab function as with the browser.
But there are also a few things to which I still have to get used to and which I currently consider to be a hindrance. But let's see, I don't understand the Rainmeter syntax (always) and still use it * lol *
- Win11 Pro x64 (23H2 - 22631.3085)
- Rainmeter 4.5.18
- Gigabyte B550i AORUS Pro AX V1.2
- Corsair Venegeance LPX 2x 16GB (32GB) DDR4 3200MHz
- RYZEN 7 5800X
- PowerColor RX570 8GB
- Samsung 980Pro 250GB (NVMe) - Drive C: Windows
- Kingston SNV2S1000G (NVMe) - Drive D: Rainmeter, Skins & Others - Drive D: Games
- NAS Synology DS216j - 2x 1GB HDDs - My Main Backup & Data Storage in my Home-Network
- Mon 1: 24" HP 24f (1920 x 1080 @ 75Hz) - Primary
- Mon 2: 22" Philips 226VL (1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz) - Secondary 1
- Mon 3: 50" Philips 50PUS7304/12 (3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz) - Secondary 2
- Corsair CX 650M Power Supply
- NZXT H210 Case
- ISP Vodafone with 1000/50 Mbit Cable Internet

The absolutly High-End Machine on 2024 ... at least the graphics card :oops: O.O :rofl:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Youkai1977 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 7:40 pm As I said, I didn't criticize you or your approach. On the contrary, it was clear that you had made the right move.
And ultimately, who knows what it's good for, it shouldn't be a bad thing to have several solutions at hand. Because if Rainmeter taught me one thing, a solution doesn't always have to work twice. :???:

Thank you for the praise.
Yes that's probably true, learn by doing it yourself.
But scouring the forum and other sources, and possibly copying first, I still like to use it.
However, this method has often been, and is current to me, precisely now also the undoing.
Because if you don't really deal with what code snippet / syntax etc. is actually there for what, then in the worst case it will be really tight with your own knowledge.
Because that's exactly what I actually took with my current SKIN suite. I started by copying it in 2014. And over the years I only changed the look and layout. Seldom has a function been added or something similar.
And so we are now writing in 2021, I have been using Rainmeter for 7 years now and basically don't really know anything about the code basics.
But that should change now, as I said, I really want to be able to say that "I" did and created it.
For me, however, really difficult, because there would still be the language barrier. Forums or something similar, certainly not such a good manual like "https://docs.rainmeter.net/" in my language "German" is almost an absurdity. Sometimes I have the feeling that nobody in Germany knows Rainmeter. Only Facebook, Instagram, Youtube ... and currently Corona -.-

Yes with the colors is really a relief. I also set it so dark. Really nice. Also the tab function as with the browser.
But there are also a few things to which I still have to get used to and which I currently consider to be a hindrance. But let's see, I don't understand the Rainmeter syntax (always) and still use it * lol *
Yes, you can approach things in various ways in Rainmeter. I probably should have been clearer in my reply in terms of the code, but as I said, I didn't have the skin dependencies and probably the fact that my resolution is just 1366 x 768 wouldn't have helped either, even if I was able to run it. ;-)

What I meant with doing stuff yourself is that personally, I'm satisfied when someone I tried to help is developing the idea and comes with a self-made improvement, variant or an original implementation. I'm not too fond of "serving things on a plate" (unless I see it as a challenge), if you know what I mean, and I think the best outcome is reached when both parties make an effort - that was the thing I was trying to convey, and the reason why I praised your effort.

Yep, if you only do something rarely or make a break from doing something, that thing is gradually forgotten or not quite mastered. I experienced this as well, having a break from coding in Rainmeter for a while, and then, when I got back to it, having some difficulties remembering why and how I did or I should do stuff... in my own code. :lol:

Regarding the language barrier, let's look at the bright side: apart from exercising with Rainmeter, you can exercise a bit with English as well. Since the manual is always subject to change, is difficult to maintain it in several languages, so it is what it is. And yes, Rainmeter is not as widely used as, say, Windows and others, but I think it does well nevertheless.
Youkai1977

Post by Youkai1977 »

Yincognito wrote: January 31st, 2021, 9:37 pm Yes, you can approach things in various ways in Rainmeter.
I noticed that though.
And that is also what sometimes confuses or doubts me, although the latter is probably unnecessarily worrying. Because if the fact that different ways / solutions bring the same goal, then the thought arises which solution might be the better one. To take up the topic of my visualizer again, e.g. when it comes to optimizing the CPU load, etc. Or for flexibility on different PC configurations etc.
I probably should have been clearer in my reply in terms of the code, but as I said, I didn't have the skin dependencies and probably the fact that my resolution is just 1366 x 768 wouldn't have helped either, even if I was able to run it. ;-)
In the case of my launcher, there is actually only the dependency that the colors should be the same as my other meters. So that the entire suite looks coherent and uniform later.
As for your resolution, that sounds like a laptop and then really not very high. Which brings us back to the subject of customizable / scalable skins ...
What I meant with doing stuff yourself is that personally, I'm satisfied when someone I tried to help is developing the idea and comes with a self-made improvement, variant or an original implementation. I'm not too fond of "serving things on a plate" (unless I see it as a challenge), if you know what I mean, and I think the best outcome is reached when both parties make an effort - that was the thing I was trying to convey, and the reason why I praised your effort.
It is true, if you always get everything served directly, the will to make an effort, e.g. to find solutions yourself, disappears. The exchange between "balala" and me is based on this when he said I should ask if the shoe pinches. But there is pride. You want to try it yourself first.
Yep, if you only do something rarely or make a break from doing something, that thing is gradually forgotten or not quite mastered. I experienced this as well, having a break from coding in Rainmeter for a while, and then, when I got back to it, having some difficulties remembering why and how I did or I should do stuff... in my own code. :lol:
Oh my god, yeah as I know it, or that's exactly what I meant.
You start again after an eternal break and you no longer understand your own skin that you once made.
I even had it the day before yesterday with my visualizer when I looked into the SHAPE meter again. I sat there like this -> O.O :???:
Regarding the language barrier, let's look at the bright side: apart from exercising with Rainmeter, you can exercise a bit with English as well. Since the manual is always subject to change, is difficult to maintain it in several languages, so it is what it is. And yes, Rainmeter is not as widely used as, say, Windows and others, but I think it does well nevertheless.
I also noticed that the manual changes or is updated frequently. And yes, English, I definitely have to kneel behind me again. Today, unfortunately, my attitude from school takes revenge. It read: "What should I do with English, I live in Germany"
So, don't just understand Rainmeter, English too. The latter if my child arrives soon and needs help with their English homework ... otherwise it could be embarrassing :oops:
- Rainmeter 4.5.18
- RYZEN 7 5800X
- PowerColor RX570 8GB
- Kingston SNV2S1000G (NVMe) - Drive D: Rainmeter, Skins & Others - Drive D: Games
- NAS Synology DS216j - 2x 1GB HDDs - My Main Backup & Data Storage in my Home-Network
- NZXT H210 Case

The absolutly High-End Machine on 2024 ... at least the graphics card :oops: O.O :rofl:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Youkai1977 wrote: January 31st, 2021, 10:03 pm I noticed that though.
[...]
I also noticed that the manual changes or is updated frequently. And yes, English, I definitely have to kneel behind me again. Today, unfortunately, my attitude from school takes revenge. It read: "What should I do with English, I live in Germany"
So, don't just understand Rainmeter, English too. The latter if my child arrives soon and needs help with their English homework ... otherwise it could be embarrassing :oops:
Agreed on all points. Your point about language is pragmatic indeed, but then nowadays nobody really lives isolated or restricted to his own country, so knowing some basics in a foreign language can sometimes be useful.
Youkai1977

Post by Youkai1977 »

Agreed on all points. Your point about language is pragmatic indeed, but then nowadays nobody really lives isolated or restricted to his own country, so knowing some basics in a foreign language can sometimes be useful.
It was pragmatic back then, which, as I said, I regret today and which is now becoming a serious disadvantage for me.
See what I just posted here -> https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36847

This is not only due to my lack of knowledge of the Rainmeter syntax, but also to the fact that I do not understand the great online manual well enough to find a solution to my problem due to my poor English. :( :-(
- Rainmeter 4.5.18
- RYZEN 7 5800X
- PowerColor RX570 8GB
- NZXT H210 Case

RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Hey 👋🏼 is it possible to add a gradient to a stroke?
killall-q

Post by killall-q »

RicardoTM wrote: December 30th, 2022, 5:36 amHey 👋🏼 is it possible to add a gradient to a stroke?
Yes.
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

killall-q wrote: December 30th, 2022, 6:01 am Yes.
Lol thank you! I swear I read the whole thing and didn't see that..