It is currently April 19th, 2024, 8:41 am

[Bug] 400x60 .bmp images do not work as header images if they were compiled using ImageMagick?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Cariboudjan

[Bug] 400x60 .bmp images do not work as header images if they were compiled using ImageMagick?

Post by Cariboudjan »

Can't figure out what's wrong here, but I have two .bmp images, both titled RMSKIN.bmp, both 400x60. The first RMSKIN.bmp image works as a header image, the second RMSKIN.bmp does not appear at all in the .rmskin installer. The only difference is that the first RMSKIN.bmp was made with mspaint, and the second image was compiled with ImageMagick.

Images are attached:
RMSKINs.zip
.Rmskin file contains RMSKIN.bmp, but no image appears in install window:
Disks - Phan (Droptop App).rmskin
Both files are exactly the same:
Screenshot 2022-11-24 172638.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ikarus1969

Re: [Bug] 400x60 .bmp images do not work as header images if they were compiled using ImageMagick?

Post by ikarus1969 »

Maybe the second bmp can't be displayed because of its transparency in it?
It was new for me too, but a bmp does support transparency. I googled for it and the first link i got was: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14195289/can-a-bmp-image-format-handle-transparency#:~:text=Yes%2C%20the%20bitmap%20format%20does,%2Dbit%20%2B%20alpha%20channel).
Brian
Developer

Re: [Bug] 400x60 .bmp images do not work as header images if they were compiled using ImageMagick?

Post by Brian »

The image you posted with the 2 different property windows is incorrect based on the different header images you posted. Maybe you selected the same file's properties on accident?

Here is what I get:
Properties.png

In the screenshot you can see what the problem is. One of the files is 24-bit depth, and the other is 32-bit depth. You can't even load the 24-bit depth image with the rmskin packager, so I am unsure how you even got it in the rmskin file to begin with.
ErrorMessage.png
Maybe ImageMagick has a 32-bit option?

The header image in the rmskin is a different image than the ones posted in the zip file, but still has the 24-bit depth.

-Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

I haven't used the rmskin compiler in months. Maybe a year at this point. Way faster to automate the process through scripts. The AddRmFooter addon by deathcrafter is an actual godsend. I press one button I have 5 compiled rmskins with their own unique banners, parameters, plugins, version number, etc. pushed to github and all.

Dear god if I have to go back to punching all of that in through the standard compiler manually I will shoot myself.

I looked into the 24/32 bit thing with ImageMagick and I will report back by results.
Last edited by Cariboudjan on November 25th, 2022, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Cariboudjan wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:37 am The AddRmFooter addon by deathcrafter is an actual godsend.
So, maybe a bug with that? :confused:

-Brian
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

Unlikely. Sounds like the Rainmeter .rmskin installer can't do 24-bit images. Ordinarily the compiler prevents this from occurring, but I bypassed it. So that would explain what's happening.

Edit: Adding to ImageMagick fixed the issue. Thanks again Brian.

Code: Select all

mogrify -format bmp -define bmp:format=bmp3 RMSKIN.bmp
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Cariboudjan wrote: November 25th, 2022, 6:44 am Unlikely. Sounds like the Rainmeter .rmskin installer can't do 24-bit images. Ordinarily the compiler prevents this from occurring, but I bypassed it. So that would explain what's happening.

Edit: Adding to ImageMagick fixed the issue. Thanks again Brian.

Code: Select all

mogrify -format bmp -define bmp:format=bmp3 RMSKIN.bmp
Hold on a sec... I can build .rmskins with 24-bit images with no issues. Something seems weird with your 32-bit image (your 24-bit image works fine, the other throws the error posted by Brian).
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that 24-bit bitmaps cannot be used as a header image...I meant that these particular 24-bit bitmaps do not work for some reason. ImageMagick must be using a non-standard format that the Winapi function LoadImage cannot resolve.

But it looks like Cariboudjan found a work around, so all is good.

-Brian