It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:39 am

[Bug] Strange output from string meter when Text= contains unicode values

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
phoggy

[Bug] Strange output from string meter when Text= contains unicode values

Post by phoggy »

I have a skin that is grabbing lottery results from a web page (meter=webparser) and displaying them. I noticed that the "Last draw ..." meter was displaying some numbers incorrectly when the Text= statement contains unicode values.

When this code is used ...

Code: Select all

Text=Last draw [MeasureLatestDate] [MeasureBall1] [MeasureBall2] [MeasureBall3] [MeasureBall4] [MeasureBall5] ([MeasureBallMB])
... the first 5 numbers (after "11/18/2022") are shown in ascending order, which is correct:
MM good.PNG
When this code is used ...

Text=Last draw [MeasureLatestDate] [MeasureBall1] [\2022] [MeasureBall2] [\2022] [MeasureBall3] [\2022] [MeasureBall4] [\2022] [MeasureBall5] [\2022] ([MeasureBallMB])
... the 1st and 6th numbers are correct but the middle 4 numbers are in descending order, which is very odd:
MM bad.PNG
Nothing else in the skin was changed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Bug] Strange output from string meter when Text= contains unicode values

Post by eclectic-tech »

Can't replicate your issue, but a few things I can suggest:

[\0022] is not the correct format for unicode, it should be [\x0022] which will be a quotation mark "

Text=Last draw [MeasureLatestDate] [MeasureBall1] [\x2022] [MeasureBall2] [\x2022] [MeasureBall3] [\x2022] [MeasureBall4] [\x2022] [MeasureBall5] [\x2022] ([MeasureBallMB])
Make sure your file is encoded as UTF16 LE in Notepad, UTF-16 LE BOM (Notepad++) or UCS-2 Little Endian (other editors) to be able to handle Unicode characters.
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

eclectic-tech wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 12:53 am [\0022] is not the correct format for unicode, it should be [\x0022] which will be a quotation mark "
The op's problem sounds weird and i can't reproduce it either.
But the code for the character in between is correct. It's the decimal form of an unicode-character with a range of 0 to 65536. The op get's the character for this code.
Op: please post the whole skin, so we can test it better.
phoggy

Post by phoggy »

Thanks for pointing out my [\x... error. fwiw, [\2022] == [\x07E6] --> West African / Manding language character

I changed the [\2022] to [\x2022] and am seeing the correct results.

MM fixed.png
I'll post the skin later today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

phoggy wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:22 pm When this code is used ...

Text=Last draw [MeasureLatestDate] [MeasureBall1] [\2022] [MeasureBall2] [\2022] [MeasureBall3] [\2022] [MeasureBall4] [\2022] [MeasureBall5] [\2022] ([MeasureBallMB])
... the 1st and 6th numbers are correct but the middle 4 numbers are in descending order, which is very odd:

MM bad.PNG
:o OMG!!! :jawdrop Very true. :o
Never even thought something like this might exist.
I can reproduce the issue. I used an extremely simple code, having a few WebParser measures:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1

[Variables]

[MeasureRainmeter]
Measure=WebParser
UpdateRate=600
Url=file://#@#Test.txt
RegExp=(?siU)<Test>(.*)</Test>.*<Test>(.*)</Test>.*<Test>(.*)</Test>.*<Test>(.*)</Test>.*<Test>(.*)</Test>

[MeasureBall1]
Measure=WebParser
Url=[MeasureRainmeter]
DecodeCharacterReference=3
StringIndex=1

[MeasureBall2]
Measure=WebParser
Url=[MeasureRainmeter]
StringIndex=2

[MeasureBall3]
Measure=WebParser
Url=[MeasureRainmeter]
StringIndex=3

[MeasureBall4]
Measure=WebParser
Url=[MeasureRainmeter]
StringIndex=4

[MeasureBall5]
Measure=WebParser
Url=[MeasureRainmeter]
StringIndex=5

[MeterNumbers]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureBall1
MeasureName2=MeasureBall2
MeasureName3=MeasureBall3
MeasureName4=MeasureBall4
MeasureName5=MeasureBall5
X=0
Y=0
Padding=15,5,15,5
FontColor=220,220,220
FontEffectColor=0,0,0
StringEffect=Shadow
SolidColor=0,0,0,150
FontSize=8
FontFace=Segoe UI
StringStyle=BOLD
StringAlign=LEFT
AntiAlias=1
Text=[\2022] 1: [MeasureBall1] [\2022] 2: [MeasureBall2] [\2022] 3: [MeasureBall3] [\2022] 4: [MeasureBall4] [\2022] 5: [MeasureBall5]#CRLF#[\2022] 1: %1 [\2022] 2: %2 [\2022] 3: %3 [\2022] 4: %4 [\2022] 5: %5
DynamicVariables=1
The content of the #@#Test.txt file is this:

<Test>2</Test>
<Test>14</Test>
<Test>16</Test>
<Test>38</Test>
<Test>66</Test>
See that additionally I added one more line in the Text option: the first one uses the names of the measures as section variables, while the second one uses the %1 - %5 parameters, refearing to the MeasureNameX options. I used the original [\2022] character. And stupor (for me at least definitely): I get the result in reverse order. A screenshot of what the above code returns:
Skin.png
see that the returned numbers are in reverse order and even more: the indexes and the appropriate number are inversed. For instance, I get 2 :1 (2 is the number returned by the measure, 1 is its index) instead of what should get, namely 1: 2.
I couldn't imagine something like this might exist. However, it does!
Replacing the [\2022] characters of the Text option with [\x07E6], I get the same result: reverse order of the result.

Comment: :o :o :o :jawdrop :jawdrop :jawdrop No more!!!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

phoggy wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 1:00 pm Thanks for pointing out my [\x... error. fwiw, [\2022] == [\x07E6] --> West African / Manding language character

I changed the [\2022] to [\x2022] and am seeing the correct results.
balala wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 3:19 pm
This is not a bug, nor is it "strange", really. This set of characters is right-to-left, like Arabic and Hebrew. So when you embed this symbol into your text, it causes values to be flipped.

I'd suggest finding a different symbol to embed into your output.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
phoggy

Post by phoggy »

SilverAzide wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 3:33 pm This is not a bug, nor is it "strange", really. This set of characters is right-to-left, like Arabic and Hebrew. So when you embed this symbol into your text, it causes values to be flipped.

I'd suggest finding a different symbol to embed into your output.
Thanks, I hadn't considered LTR/RTL or RTL embedded in an initially LTR string. Can I "buy you a coffee" ? Mea culpa for posting this in the "bug" forum.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

phoggy wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 4:18 pm Thanks, I hadn't considered LTR/RTL or RTL embedded in an initially LTR string. Can I "buy you a coffee" ? Mea culpa for posting this in the "bug" forum.
No worries! If you want, you can change the title and we can move your post to a different forum.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...