It is currently April 20th, 2024, 12:47 pm

I need help with RAM measures coding

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
truejaz

Re: I need help with RAM measures coding

Post by truejaz »

balala wrote: September 14th, 2022, 3:04 pm You definitely should improve, at least the cyberfreak 2077\RAM\RAM.ini skin. Here is why:
cyberfreak.png
(screenshot of the cyberfreak 2077\RAM\RAM.ini skin).

Another issue: the buttons of the cyberfreak 2077\Menu\Cybermenu.ini skin (Computer, Control Panel, Pictures and so on) are overlaping each other. Due to this, when you're hovering the mouse over the overlaping regions, you get highlighted two buttons in the same time:
cyberfreak2.png
You should resize the buttons, not to have them overlaping.

Suplimentar advice: if your skin is using some resources as this one does (in this case I'm talking about the BackXX.png and BarXX.png images), these resources should be placed into the @Resources folder. Especially that there is such a folder in your config, so why not to use it? Accordingly I'd create a folder called for instance RAM in the @Resources folder, would move all .png files from the cyberfreak 2077\RAM folder there and would replace the appropriate paths in the options in the RAM.ini skin file to use this new location of the images (for instance the BarImage=Bar16.png option of the [MtrBarProgress] meter would become BarImage=#@#RAM\Bar16.png). From now it's basic requirement to place and use the resources from the @Resources folder.
Same applies for the cyberfreak 2077\Menu\Cybermenu.ini skin as well, which uses the resources from the ing folder. Move them as well to the @Resources folder.
Thank you very much for the feedback. I will do the best I can to fix it. And make sure all the pictures are in the right folder
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

truejaz wrote: September 14th, 2022, 4:02 pm Thank you very much for the feedback. I will do the best I can to fix it. And make sure all the pictures are in the right folder
Alright, as you wish. Feel free to repost the package if you update it, to can check the new one as well.
truejaz

Post by truejaz »

balala wrote: September 14th, 2022, 5:14 pm Alright, as you wish. Feel free to repost the package if you update it, to can check the new one as well.
For sure I will upload the files again when I finish the fixes... in the meantime I managed to fix the menu.
The image had invisible edges that were too big causing the buttons to overlap, I trimmed them and now it works without overlapping
truejaz

Post by truejaz »

The upgraded version after the fixes that balala suggested
cyberfreak 2077_0.0.2 Alpha.rmskin
Again I would greatly appreciate it if you would give feedback on how it turned out and what could be improved
Thank you very much everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

truejaz wrote: September 15th, 2022, 6:52 pm Again I would greatly appreciate it if you would give feedback on how it turned out and what could be improved
Since you asked, I have further suggestions as well.
Let's say from the beginning, that this time there are no those kind of problems as on the previous package. The RAM skin for instance is working well, you've succeeded fixing the issues. Congratulations for this, especially if you are a beginner (which I believe you are, sorry if I'm mistaken).
What should be even more improved are the followings:
  • In all skins showing temperatures (for instance cyberfreak 2077\CPU\CPU.ini or cyberfreak 2077\GPU\GPU.ini) instead of the degree symbol (°) you should use this [\x00B0] in the Text or Postfix options. For instance, you should replace the Postfix option of the [Temp1°C] meter of the cyberfreak 2077\CPU\CPU.ini skin with Postfix=[\x00B0]C.
  • Leaving a space before the value in any this kind of options (Text, Postfix or Prefix) does nothing, being ignored by Rainmeter. If you want to have a space before the degree simbol, you have to quote the string. So, using for instance the Postfix= °C, or the corresponding Postfix= [\x00B0]C options (see that both options are written with spaces) makes the value to be shown with no space (for instance 40°C, with no space). See what's happening if you try to quote the value of the Postfix option (either Postfix=" °C" or Postfix=" [\x00B0]C"). To be honest I believe that space is not needed, nor well-looking, however if you want to use it, this is how you have to add it.
  • The Postfix options should not be used (see the Note here). Instead of Postfix, you should add the degrees symbol (any form of it, as described above), directly to the Text option of the same String meter. For example, I'd remove the Postfix option of the [Temp1°C] meter of the cyberfreak 2077\CPU\CPU.ini skin and would add the following Text option:
    Text=%1 °C or Text=%1 [\x00B0]C (if you want the spaces) or Text=%1°C or Text=%1[\x00B0]C (if you don1t want the spaces). This solution avoids the need of quotes as well.
  • The TransformationMatrix=1;0.00;0;1;0;0 option, added to more String meters, is completely useless. Doesn't hurt to have it but doesn't help anything either, this being the default value of the TransformationMatrix option. I'd definitely remove them.
Hope these are enough. If you want, try to fix the above things as well and feel free to come back if any question arises.
truejaz

Post by truejaz »

balala wrote: September 15th, 2022, 8:06 pm Since you asked, I have further suggestions as well.
Let's say from the beginning, that this time there are no those kind of problems as on the previous package. The RAM skin for instance is working well, you've succeeded fixing the issues. Congratulations for this, especially if you are a beginner (which I believe you are, sorry if I'm mistaken).
What should be even more improved are the followings:
  • In all skins showing temperatures (for instance cyberfreak 2077\CPU\CPU.ini or cyberfreak 2077\GPU\GPU.ini) instead of the degree symbol (°) you should use this [\x00B0] in the Text or Postfix options. For instance, you should replace the Postfix option of the [Temp1°C] meter of the cyberfreak 2077\CPU\CPU.ini skin with Postfix=[\x00B0]C.
  • Leaving a space before the value in any this kind of options (Text, Postfix or Prefix) does nothing, being ignored by Rainmeter. If you want to have a space before the degree simbol, you have to quote the string. So, using for instance the Postfix= °C, or the corresponding Postfix= [\x00B0]C options (see that both options are written with spaces) makes the value to be shown with no space (for instance 40°C, with no space). See what's happening if you try to quote the value of the Postfix option (either Postfix=" °C" or Postfix=" [\x00B0]C"). To be honest I believe that space is not needed, nor well-looking, however if you want to use it, this is how you have to add it.
  • The Postfix options should not be used (see the Note here). Instead of Postfix, you should add the degrees symbol (any form of it, as described above), directly to the Text option of the same String meter. For example, I'd remove the Postfix option of the [Temp1°C] meter of the cyberfreak 2077\CPU\CPU.ini skin and would add the following Text option:
    Text=%1 °C or Text=%1 [\x00B0]C (if you want the spaces) or Text=%1°C or Text=%1[\x00B0]C (if you don1t want the spaces). This solution avoids the need of quotes as well.
  • The TransformationMatrix=1;0.00;0;1;0;0 option, added to more String meters, is completely useless. Doesn't hurt to have it but doesn't help anything either, this being the default value of the TransformationMatrix option. I'd definitely remove them.
Hope these are enough. If you want, try to fix the above things as well and feel free to come back if any question arises.
I think to say I'm a beginner is an understatement.
I don't know anything, I said it at the beginning of the post, all I did was read the guide on the website and use the examples to see how the code should be written
For example I don't know what TransformationMatrix=1;0.00;0;1;0;0 is or what it does but this is how I saw the code written so that's what I did :confused:
Regarding the space in the temperature symbol
I didn't mean for there to be a space, to be honest I wasn't aware that there was a space until now
Thank you very much for your help, I took into account the things you suggested and improved what was necessary
cyberfreak 2077_0.0.3 Alpha.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

truejaz wrote: September 15th, 2022, 9:31 pm I think to say I'm a beginner is an understatement.
I don't know anything, I said it at the beginning of the post, all I did was read the guide on the website and use the examples to see how the code should be written
In this case I have to congratulate you. For someone not familiarized with Rainmeter coding, you did a very good job implementing what have been described.
Congratulations. I suggest (or even ask you) to keep working if you like coding. Rainmeter has a lot to offer to someone who is interested in it (and I think you are, this is my guess at least).
truejaz wrote: September 15th, 2022, 9:31 pm For example I don't know what TransformationMatrix=1;0.00;0;1;0;0 is or what it does but this is how I saw the code written so that's what I did :confused:
TransformationMatrix is an extremely powerful option, which can be applied to any kind of meter. It can scale, skew, and translate the meter, and can be used for instance to rotate a meter around a freely chosen point. I like this option extremely much and am using it many times. However, the math behind it is complicated enough.
This option has only one single disadvantage: when applied to a meter which has set a mouse action on it (a LeftMouseUpAction for instance), the TransformationMatrix doesn't extend the space where you should click to. So even if the meter having applied the option is looking differently, you have to click where the meter is with no TransformationMatrx applied. This is an extremely annoying problem, which has no solution unfortunately.
On the other hand, there is an extremely good and detailed description of how it can be used, but it's quite long. If you are interested and have enough math knowledge, I recommend trying to follow the description.
As previously said, the TransformationMatrix=1;0.00;0;1;0;0 option particularly does nothing, because this is the default form of the option, which in this form has no effect on the meter to which it is applied to. That1s why I said you can remove them. Just make sure you don't remove and other form of this option, if there is any.
truejaz

Post by truejaz »

balala wrote: September 16th, 2022, 3:00 pm In this case I have to congratulate you. For someone not familiarized with Rainmeter coding, you did a very good job implementing what have been described.
Congratulations. I suggest (or even ask you) to keep working if you like coding. Rainmeter has a lot to offer to someone who is interested in it (and I think you are, this is my guess at least).

TransformationMatrix is an extremely powerful option, which can be applied to any kind of meter. It can scale, skew, and translate the meter, and can be used for instance to rotate a meter around a freely chosen point. I like this option extremely much and am using it many times. However, the math behind it is complicated enough.
This option has only one single disadvantage: when applied to a meter which has set a mouse action on it (a LeftMouseUpAction for instance), the TransformationMatrix doesn't extend the space where you should click to. So even if the meter having applied the option is looking differently, you have to click where the meter is with no TransformationMatrx applied. This is an extremely annoying problem, which has no solution unfortunately.
On the other hand, there is an extremely good and detailed description of how it can be used, but it's quite long. If you are interested and have enough math knowledge, I recommend trying to follow the description.
As previously said, the TransformationMatrix=1;0.00;0;1;0;0 option particularly does nothing, because this is the default form of the option, which in this form has no effect on the meter to which it is applied to. That1s why I said you can remove them. Just make sure you don't remove and other form of this option, if there is any.

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately math is not my forte so I don't think I'm going to implement TransformationMatrx anytime soon.
However it was an interesting read I understand what it was meant to do (I think)
In any case, writing Rainmeter code is fun for me. The code commands are very logical and in most cases you can guess what each code does without having any prior knowledge of coding. Not always of course :FingerUp
But fortunately for me, there is a great community here that is happy to help with what I don't understand
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

truejaz wrote: September 16th, 2022, 4:44 pm But fortunately for me, there is a great community here that is happy to help with what I don't understand
For sure there is. Feel free anytime to come back if you have Rainmeter related questions.