It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:29 pm

Use of others skins.

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Active Colors

Re: Use of others skins.

Post by Active Colors »

I decided to check couple of those weather sites that have the Droplets icons set to see if they can give me some hint. From what I've found is that they use one particular joomla plugin. I downloaded the plugin and it contained the Droplets icon pack indeed. The information file contained the source: WeatherIconSets.com LOL
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Active Colors wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:11 pmThe information file contained the source: WeatherIconSets.com LOL
Well, that was an unexpected plot twist indeed... :rolmfao:
It appears that when it comes to weather icons, all roads lead to WeatherIconSets.com. 8-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Yincognito wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:31 pm It appears that when it comes to weather icons, all roads lead to WeatherIconSets.com. 8-)
Are those the same roads that were paved with good intentions? ;-)
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:59 pm Are those the same roads that were paved with good intentions? ;-)
When you come to a fork in the road, take it...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:59 pmAre those the same roads that were paved with good intentions? ;-)
Something like that, yeah - but see below... :lol:
jsmorley wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:02 pmWhen you come to a fork in the road, take it...
...and rip someone's head off with it (depend on the "fork"). :twisted:
Isn't English beautiful? So many meanings to a phrase. 8-)
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Anyways, it seems here is the original icon pack (I believe).

All the icons are in 128x128.

This pack basically repeats what SilverAzide scrapped from a french website here except several icons (see note below).

I put this icon pack for consistency purposes because I believe this now confirms that it is the original package, and because of the differences with that repeating pack.

The notes:

— This pack is imestamped February 16, 2010. In comparison, on that WeatherIconsSets they appeared on March 28, 2011, as seen on WebArchinve. But still, this is not the original date of their release. We can credit WIS though as stated before regarding the license.

— The files in the pack that SilverAzide got from Google here are less in the file-sizes than in jsmorley's and mine. Be careful that there might be some quality lose in that pack. The other pack from the french site here and what jsmorley has match in file-sizes with this pack.

— Here and in the repeating SilverAzide's pack are two "new" icons that I overlooked before which don't exist in jsmorley's pack: 19.png and 38.png

— Icons 19, 20, 21, 22 in the repeating SilverAzide's pack are different than in this pack. They look darker than in this pack, which makes me think that those icons from the french site are not original.

— Can't deny I've gotten carried away with this. It was interesting to dig through the history. Now, back into the loop :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Active Colors wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:00 pm — Here and in the repeating SilverAzide's pack are two "new" icons that I overlooked before which don't exist in jsmorley's pack: 19.png and 38.png
I've also never seen icons #27 (fair night?) and #28 (fair day?). The set I have (which I originally got from jsmorley way back) have alternate "fair" icons. Please note that the actual icon numbers for "fair night" and "fair day" are now #33 and #34; #27/#28 are currently defined as "mostly cloudy night" and "mostly cloudy day". I prefer the icons I have, but these aren't bad and seem to match the original artist's style. None of these Droplet packs have the same "fair night" and "fair day" as what is in my pack (which I'm pretty sure I got from old version of jsmorley's JSMeter suite). I definitely did not create these, so it is a mystery from where they originated (zero hits on Google and Bing).

Active Colors wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:00 pm — Icons 19, 20, 21, 22 in the repeating SilverAzide's pack are different than in this pack. They look darker than in this pack, which makes me think that those icons from SilverAzide are not original.
I can confirm for you that in my current pack, icons 19/20/22 are definitely not original -- they were revised by me, so you are correct. I made them darker because all the icons had at the time were 4 identical ones (#21 repeated). So I decided the #21 icon looked most like "fog", then I tinted the others in various shades to represent haze, dust, and smoke. The original #19/#20/#22 you posted (and some of the other packs we all found) are the first time I've ever seen them. Not a fan of the original "dust" here, but the "fog" and "smoke" are pretty nice (same icon tho). Note that the icon I decided was "fog" is actually shown here as "haze".

Also, as I mentioned in a post above, every icon with a "small moon" and "small sun" were created by me, as I didn't care for the way the original set looked. In the original set, the sun and moon images are uniform in size, so the overlaid weather icons (#37, #39, #45-47) didn't look all that great to my eye. (Also note that #37 and #39 are flipped from what TWC says they should be.) I also created #35 (the original does not match TWC's condition), #36 (the "hot" icon with the red thermometer), and a few others (#9 drizzle, #13-14 snow showers/flurries, etc.).
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

So in an effort to continue beating this dead horse and hijacking this thread way beyond its original purpose, I created a spreadsheet to compare the "most original known" Droplets icons (as posted by ActiveColors above) with as many of the Droplets icon sets that I know about, which are those used by JSMorley and myself.

First, I have an old JSMeterVI suite that appears to be dated mid-2015. This set matches the Droplets set posted by AC exactly. There are minor file size differences in some cases, others are exact matches.

Somewhere around 2017, it seems JSMorley and myself merged our sets together. I do not recall what the motivation was for this; I think there was a thread where folks were trying to determine what the definitive list of icon codes and conditions were as used by TWC, since many examples existed where a few of TWC's icons did not match their use in reality.

Since then we've both made minor changes. The attached spreadsheet shows a comparison of everything I know.

The columns are:
Icon -- number value with description using the latest info I have (my code list appears to match JSMorley's).
Droplets -- as posted by ActiveColors (this set matches JSMorley's JSMeterVI set).
Droplets (Corrected) -- icons rearranged to better match the TWC codes.
Gadgets v3 (2017)
JSMeterVIII (2017) -- Note: as far as I can see, our 2017 sets match.
Gadgets v6 (2021)
JSMeter 10 (2020)
Remarks -- random notes and remarks regarding the icons.

I somehow never had the Droplets icons for "fair day" and "fair night", so I made my own. This is why these two icons from the Droplets set vanished when JSMorley and I merged icons, and totally new ones appear.
I guess I owe someone an apology! :oops:

If anyone still cares, the attached file was created with Google Sheets. Importing it into Excel works, but the column formatting may be glitched.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

SilverAzide wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:05 amSo in an effort to continue beating this dead horse and hijacking this thread way beyond its original purpose, I created a spreadsheet to compare the "most original known" Droplets icons (as posted by ActiveColors above) with as many of the Droplets icon sets that I know about, which are those used by JSMorley and myself.
Well, that's actually very useful as it synthesize everything we know so far of these icons. Nice that you included the images as well, very easy to compare. :thumbup:
SilverAzide wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:05 amSomewhere around 2017, it seems JSMorley and myself merged our sets together. I do not recall what the motivation was for this; I think there was a thread where folks were trying to determine what the definitive list of icon codes and conditions were as used by TWC, since many examples existed where a few of TWC's icons did not match their use in reality.
I recall either the thread you talk about or at least the moon part of it, as in that area I participated as well, looking to correlate the moon icon codes to phase and illumination. Not sure if the icon part and the moon part were in any way related, but they both belonged to an effort to make things clear / standardize the whole TWC data output.