It is currently April 30th, 2024, 7:10 pm

Need Help Setting Up Rainmeter Skin

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Donaldhill4

Need Help Setting Up Rainmeter Skin

Post by Donaldhill4 »

Hello everyone. I recently learned about Rainmeter Skins after I stumble on this post while looking for desktop customization methods. All these skins look really well and I wanted to try out some of them. However, I soon learned that I have no idea how to set up these skins. Can anyone help me at least with the basics?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Need Help Setting Up Rainmeter Skin

Post by jsmorley »

Donaldhill4 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm Hello everyone. I recently learned about Rainmeter Skins after I stumble on this post while looking for desktop customization methods. All these skins look really well and I wanted to try out some of them. However, I soon learned that I have no idea how to set up these skins. Can anyone help me at least with the basics?
Take a look here:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/installing-skins/

and let us know if you still have questions.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

EDIT: Sorry, jsmorely beat me, again.
Donaldhill4 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 12:30 pm Hello everyone. I recently learned about Rainmeter Skins after I stumble on this post while looking for desktop customization methods. All these skins look really well and I wanted to try out some of them. However, I soon learned that I have no idea how to set up these skins. Can anyone help me at least with the basics?
Hello and welacome aboard.
If you have installed Rainmeter (and I suppose you have it), download a skin either from this forum or from deviantart.com. You get a .rmskin file, which is the format of skin installer. If Rainmeter is installed, you can run the .rmskin file and this will install the skin into the proper folder: if the installer includes plugins or layouts (don't worry if you don't know what these are, you gonna find this later), they are also installed into the appropriate folders. Some additional details are here.
If after finishing the insttallation you don't get anything new on the screen (some skin installers are done to lautomatically load a skin or a layout after instalation, but others are not and in such a case the finished instalation doesn't load anything new), unfortunately you have to load manually the skin. Right click the Rainmeter icon in the Notification Area, go to skins and wait for the submenu to load. Find there the just installed config. Its name is usually the name you're seeing on the download page. Hover the mouse over it and a list of the skins or subconfigs is shown. Click and skin to load it (the skins have a .ini extension, the configs are with no such extensions).
Use it.
If you can't deal with all this, please post a link (or more) of any of the skin(s) you couldn't install, to get a look.
In some rare cases, on the download you get a .zip or .rar file. If this is the case, please let us (me) know, to explain you what to do. Again here are the details.
Donaldhill4

Post by Donaldhill4 »

jsmorley wrote: March 8th, 2021, 3:03 pm Take a look here:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/installing-skins/

and let us know if you still have questions.
Thanks for replying. I am now able to install the skins after reading the manual. But, I am still having trouble setting it up as I wish, which I will likely get better at as time passes.