It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:53 am

⭐ Weather.com

Weather skins
TheRealDjElite

Re: ⭐ Weather.com

Post by TheRealDjElite »

TheRealDjElite wrote: January 15th, 2021, 7:07 pm Weather.com (and JSBarometer) is suddenly not updating. All the fields that are supposed to auto-populate are empty.
jsmorley wrote: January 15th, 2021, 8:54 pm It's fine for me. Try restarting Rainmeter.
SHEESH, I overthink way too much sometimes. I'm such an idiot. That's what did the trick. Thanks.

BTW, I consistently have issues with the JSBarometer not updating. Is it because I'm also running your Weather.com as well? Thanks in advance for any further insight.
Yincognito wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:05 pm Didn't test the skin yet, but I agree with jsmorley - it should work. As far as I can tell, it uses some of the same base INC files as his Weather.com skin. As for weather.com itself (the site, the page, etc.) it's working fine, both when grabbing the main page and when grabbing the "separate" JSON.
Thanks for taking the time to chime with your insight. Truly appreciated.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. Fac ut vivas.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

TheRealDjElite wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:46 pmBTW, I consistently have issues with the JSBarometer not updating. Is it because I'm also running your Weather.com as well?
That's up for jsmorley to answer as they are his skins, but generally, there shouldn't be such issues. There is the slight possibility that some Weather.com updates "overlap" with JSBarometer ones or are very very close to one another and thus weather.com is only sending one instance of the data, but if this happens and it's a problem, it should be extremely rare. Personally, I very much avoid polling any site multiple times in a short period of time for the SAME data. Ideally, INC files would get the data just once (per update), then distribute it and populate both skins respectively (in other words, the INC files would be "shared" by both skins). After all, assuming both Weather.com and JSBarometer update at the same time, they would be using the same JSON sent by weather.com - therefore no need to ask for the JSON twice, once for each skin. Of course, that would require a slight redesign of the skins, but it's how I would see a "healthy" request for weather related data - just saying.

That being said, the issue might not be related to weather.com and what it provides at all, and just be a form of "abusing" WebParser measures (something known to cause issues once in a while)... :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

There is no possibility of any "overlap" between two skins that are both hitting the same site causing any issue. I personally would never try to "share" a single set of data between two skins, as not only would that be complicated to achieve, it raises an issue if you ever run just one and not the other, and in any case, a weather skin goes out and gets a small amount of data once every 10 minutes (generally) and the entire idea is just way more trouble than it is worth.

I fail to see how sharing the same .inc files between two skins, when the .inc file's purpose is to go out to the site and get data, doesn't still just hit the site twice. I don't follow at all.

When you get into trouble with WebParser is when the site is down for a few minutes or something, and you just hammer refreshes at the skin trying to force it to work. That can "hang" WebParser, requiring a restart of Rainmeter to correct.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: January 15th, 2021, 10:20 pmI fail to see how sharing the same .inc files between two skins, when the .inc file's purpose is to go out to the site and get data, doesn't still just hit the site twice. I don't follow at all.
Ah, yes, you're right. I forgot that the INCs of a skin are loaded and used (thus whatever measures in them executed as well) for each skin using them. I guess I meant "merging" the skins themselves together, like, say, JSBarometer being a "pop-up" of Weather.com or viceversa. In other words, while the measures would only run once per update (since it makes no sense to poll for the same data twice - I still support this view), it's only the meters or the visual side of the skins that would suffer modifications.

Anyway, as I said, that's just my take on it - if you say there's nothing wrong with the current setup, you're probably right. I always try to minimize polling sites nevertheless, especially when we're talking about the same data (if the update moments are similar, that is).

P.S. That's the whole point of an aggregate request on weather.com, IMHO.
Wim

Post by Wim »

TheRealDjElite wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:46 pm BTW, I consistently have issues with the JSBarometer not updating. Is it because I'm also running your Weather.com as well? Thanks in advance for any further insight.
I had the same problem with JSBarometer. A change in the code will fix it. See here:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=31452&start=30#p186880
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

TheRealDjElite, make sure you let folks know if the modifications suggested by Wim work for you - it might help others that might have the same problem. ;-)
Wim

Post by Wim »

For the record: The suggestion was jsmorley's :thumbup: (not mine) and it worked. I've been using it for two weeks now and i've had no issues.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Wim wrote: January 16th, 2021, 11:51 am For the record: The suggestion was jsmorley's :thumbup: (not mine) and it worked. I've been using it for two weeks now and i've had no issues.
Yes, indeed - there was that difference between the downloadable content and the code posted by him, which probably explains why he wasn't the one to mention the solution here (since he most likely used the code he posted or he wasn't aware of the effect of the "old" code). Anyway, whoever the suggestion's author is, big kudos to him. :thumbup:

Oh, and almost forgot, with all this talk: Happy New Year everyone - hopefully it will be better than the one that just ended... :great:
TheRealDjElite

Post by TheRealDjElite »

Yincognito wrote: January 16th, 2021, 12:32 pm Yes, indeed - there was that difference between the downloadable content and the code posted by him, which probably explains why he wasn't the one to mention the solution here (since he most likely used the code he posted or he wasn't aware of the effect of the "old" code). Anyway, whoever the suggestion's author is, big kudos to him. :thumbup:

Oh, and almost forgot, with all this talk: Happy New Year everyone - hopefully it will be better than the one that just ended... :great:
Meh. He comes off as a sophomaniac, at least in my experience here.

Nonetheless, thanks for chiming in. And Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to you as well from Hawai'i.
TheRealDjElite

Post by TheRealDjElite »

Wim wrote: January 16th, 2021, 5:21 am I had the same problem with JSBarometer. A change in the code will fix it. See here:

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=31452&start=30#p186880
Thanks for pointing out and sharing the solution. I truly appreciate it.

And thanks for letting me know it wasn't just me, unlike the pretentious coder.