It is currently April 24th, 2024, 1:15 am

Skin Hosting, Github, and More

General topics related to Rainmeter.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Skin Hosting, Github, and More

Post by SilverAzide »

Some additional tips...

Each repo in GitHub can have a Wiki. This is pretty much separate from your Rainmeter project source, and uses files written in the same markdown (.md) language that your repo's README.md file uses. You create a Home.md (the main wiki home page), along with a series of additional pages that may or may not be hyperlinked together using relative links. GitHub will automatically create a table of contents sidebar for you, which is just a sorted list of your markdown pages.

What's so great about this? Well, you can pretty much create a fully working on-line help system that you can link to in your Rainmeter skins. Your wiki pages will have URLs, and you can even reference sub-headings. For example, say you have a weather skin that your users will need to configure for their location. You could create a link in your skin to a wiki topic.

WM.png

Click the little "?" doodad and your user will jump right to the wiki topic. This could be invaluable for the inevitable "how do I configure HWiNFO?" questions that authors of HWiNFO-based skins always get, or "Why did my monitoring skin stop working?"...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Jelle you should add your new stuff to Github. :D
JelleDekkers

Post by JelleDekkers »

Alex88 wrote: December 4th, 2020, 1:17 am Jelle you should add your new stuff to Github. :D
But why?
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Just thought if it as another place to share what you've recently made, some more exposure (am just poking fun, nothing serious).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Personally, I do have an account on GitHub, but for some reason I'm a bit tired to learn new syntax and new jargon to migrate there, so the account just sits there and does nothing, LOL. It's great to have it as an alternative, but I'm not sure how many of the not so tech-savvy users will use this variant. Unless they have no other choice, that is...
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth