It is currently April 26th, 2024, 7:35 am

Rainmeter skins on high dpi

General topics related to Rainmeter.
nikz

Rainmeter skins on high dpi

Post by nikz »

Hi everyone,

I think everyone is aware of the problem with Rainmeter and high dpi screens. After conducting a little bit of research there are two ways to deal with the problem. One way is scaling down the dpi via Windows Settings and the other one is via the Rainmeter properties.
The first one does not work for me, since my screen has 200% (192 dpi) as default and when rescaling to 100% (96 dpi) everything on the screen is way to small.
The second attempt does work, the problem with that though is that the Rainmeter skins become too small to build a nice design.

So my question is, are there any other methods, plugins or whatever that allows you to use Rainmeter skins in their original size without being blurry on high dpi screens?

Thanks for your suggestions!
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter skins on high dpi

Post by jsmorley »

As of right now, I know of nothing that will help, other than using the properties of Rainmeter.exe to ignore DPI changes, and then if desired, re-designing the skin. It is possible to design "scaling" into your skin by replacing all X/Y/W/H FontSize and the like, anything having to do with "size" AND "position" with dynamic variables. However, you need to be careful that any images you use are "large" in their original size, so they are always scaled "down", no matter what scale you set the skin to. Images just won't scale "up" without losing quality.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter skins on high dpi

Post by Yincognito »

nikz wrote: March 12th, 2020, 12:30 pm Hi everyone,

I think everyone is aware of the problem with Rainmeter and high dpi screens. After conducting a little bit of research there are two ways to deal with the problem. One way is scaling down the dpi via Windows Settings and the other one is via the Rainmeter properties.
The first one does not work for me, since my screen has 200% (192 dpi) as default and when rescaling to 100% (96 dpi) everything on the screen is way to small.
The second attempt does work, the problem with that though is that the Rainmeter skins become too small to build a nice design.

So my question is, are there any other methods, plugins or whatever that allows you to use Rainmeter skins in their original size without being blurry on high dpi screens?

Thanks for your suggestions!
I saw some stuff about "DPI aware" skins on DeviantArt a while ago. I don't remember the exact address, but searching again, it's probably along the lines of this. Don't ask me what's there or how it's done though, as I didn't test it - all I know is that it has something to do with $ from within that skin. And yeah, it has some drawbacks, but you asked for alternatives so there it is.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth