It is currently April 26th, 2024, 8:43 pm

Rainmeter closes after Graphic card update.

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
siliconman01

Re: Rainmeter closes after Graphic card update.

Post by siliconman01 »

The drivers for out-of-date Nvidia drivers also build up at 500+ mbytes per pop in c:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository. Personally, I use "Rapr" (DriverStore Explorer) at https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases to keep these drivers and other old drivers from eating up my SSD drives.
Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Homebuilt Pc. Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet.   Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 8940SE Pc.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I don't know if it's related to exactly the same cause/root problem, but everytime I update the drivers for super cool overpriced Nvidia Graphics Card or when it decides to die for a few seconds, only skins/meters using Mouse Actions dissapear.
Same things happened when GDI+ was around as well (good old 3.3.3 days). So HW Acceleration is not the problem, and I probably reported on the wrong thread now that I think about it...
Though it's a bit strange that CPU drawn stuff dies because of GPU committing sewer sliding.
oZone

Post by oZone »

I was curious how would Rainmeter behave in game mode when updating GPU driver.
Well, Rainmeter has not crashed, but it could not load skins.
In log:

Code: Select all

Error 0x887a0005: The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.
Could not intialize the render target.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

oZone wrote: February 9th, 2020, 10:04 am I was curious how would Rainmeter behave in game mode when updating GPU driver.
Well, Rainmeter has not crashed, but it could not load skins.
That error message makes some sense since Game mode just unloads skins and doesn't de-allocate any initial GPU factory or device memory that Rainmeter allocates at startup. These resources are very minor and do not need to be reset (unless you are updating your graphics drivers).

We are still working on recovering *gracefully* from a graphics driver update. It should be higher on our priority list, however with the development team's schedule, it has been difficult to work on. Stay tuned...

-Brian