It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:55 am

Inserting new meter in .ini using Notepad++

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Offutticus

Inserting new meter in .ini using Notepad++

Post by Offutticus »

I am trying out docks. I would like to add a new "meter=image". But when I hit enter either right before or right after one already in place, it simply adds another line to the meter. In the image below, I'd like to add a meter between 7 and 8. And yes, I will re-number them. Even when I hit enter at the bottom (it has 9 entries), it just adds another line. I've encountered this problem with other skins but just shrugged and went on. But now it is an issue.
notepad-meter-insert.jpg
I've searched the forums but couldn't find an answer. And Notepad++ is quite popular here so I kept getting a LOT of results. O.O

I'm sure it is something super simple and I'm just missing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Offutticus on January 8th, 2019, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
rxtd

Re: Inserting new meter in .ini using Notepad++

Post by rxtd »

Offutticus wrote: January 8th, 2019, 1:09 amI'm sure it is something super simple
It is.
Notepad++ is not a Rainmeter skin editor. In fact, there is no such thing as Rainmeter skin editor. You can only write some text, which complies to rules of skins, and let Rainmeter parse it.

If you want to add new meter to skin, you have to write it line by line. Or just copy is from somewhere. Like, for example, copy your meter [7] and rename it.
Offutticus wrote: January 8th, 2019, 1:09 amI will re-number them
It's not really related to the question, but still.
It's not required for measures/meters to have continuous numeration. It's only required that names are unique. And it's actually much better to have relatively long names, looking at which you will understand what that measure/meter does.
Offutticus

Post by Offutticus »

It is.
Notepad++ is not a Rainmeter skin editor. In fact, there is no such thing as Rainmeter skin editor. You can only write some text, which complies to rules of skins, and let Rainmeter parse it.
Yes, I know that. It is a code editor.
If you want to add new meter to skin, you have to write it line by line. Or just copy is from somewhere. Like, for example, copy your meter [7] and rename it.
I know this as well. But I can't insert a new line to start writing that meter. I've even tried to copy/paste it into a new file but I still can't start a new line. I'll try to copy/paste it in parts. Perhaps that will work.
Offutticus

Post by Offutticus »

Solved.

Put cursor where I wanted the next rule.
Hit enter.
Typed out [8] and it created a "new" rule section.
As expected, it did not auto-rename the ones below it. But that was an easy fix. Rxtd explained what it was for and that made it easier.

The brackets must be it's signal to start a new one.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »