Multi Search Bar

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
RicardoTM

Multi Search Bar

Post by RicardoTM »

Multi Search Bar
Up to 25 Search Engines in one icon shaped expandable search bar
Untitled3-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
New v1.2 Update, read more: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=43934&start=10#p223363

Package:
Note: Backup your search bar files and icons before updating.
MultiSearchBar_1.2.rmskin
v1.2 Notes
v1.1 Notes

Features:
  • Up to 25 search engines on a single bar.
  • 11 animations to choose from.
  • Customizable drop down list
  • Resizable.
  • Change open orientation.
  • Use specific programs to search.
  • Independent Engine settings.
Controls:
  • Scroll Button - Quick Bar Selection Context Menu.
  • Right Click - General Skin Menu.
  • Ctrl + Right Click - Skin Menu.
  • Scroll Up and Down - Quick Search Bar Switching.
  • Left Click - Open Bar.
  • Enter - Run Search
  • Escape - Cancel/Close bar
  • Enable/Disable List - Right Click > List
  • Change size and other preferences - Right Click > Preferences...
Scripts used:
  • Raincolors.lua v1.3 by RicardoTM
  • Easings.lua v1 by nek7u
How to add a new search engine:
  • Right click > Preferences...
  • Fill Engine6 variable with your new engine name, avoid using spaces.
  • Replace totalEngines with totalEngines=6
  • Right Click on the bar > MultiSearchBar and duplicate any search bar file.ini and name it the same as the Engine6 variable.
  • Modify the variables in the file.
  • engineNumber has to correspond to the EngineN variable number, which would be 6.
  • engineName has to correspond to the name you typed on the Engine6 variable.
  • Add the icon/logo image to #@#resources\Icons. (Right Click > MultiSearchBar > #@#resources\Icons)
  • The image name also has to be the same.
  • In other words: The EngineN variable, the engineName variable, the file name and the image name have to be the same.
  • When done, save the files then Right Click > Refresh All.
  • You should now see your new bar on the bar selection menu, and scrolling on the bar.
  • totalEngines variable has to equal the amount of Engines being used.
  • Repeat.
Search engine guideline:
  • Right Click > Edit Skin - find the engineURL variable.
  • engineURL variable is where the search engine url is, follow this formula: engineURL=https://www. searchengine.com/search?q=[#Query]
  • [#Query] variable will be replaced with whatever you type on the search bar.
  • Basically you only need to search something on any website and copy the resultant url and replace whatever you searched for with [#Query].
How to search using a specific program:
  • Right Click > Edit Skin
  • Replace engineURL with engineURL="path\to\program.exe" -flags "URL/search?q=[#Query]"
  • Replace -flags with cmd flags compatible with your program.
  • Quotes are necessary.
  • Do the same for software like Everything.exe but without an actual URL:
  • engineURL="path\to\everything.exe" -s "[#Query]"
How to get multiple search bars:
Simply duplicate the entire skin :)
Old Releases:
MultiSearchBar_1.1.rmskin
MultiSearchBar_1.0.rmskin
inspired by CyberSearch skin by CyberOfficial
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RicardoTM on April 23rd, 2024, 8:50 pm, edited 13 times in total.
RicardoTM

Multi Search Bar v1.1 Update

Post by RicardoTM »

v1.1 Update
Modified some formulas to improve the icon's centering.
To give users even more tools to make this search bar theirs, I've added a few more variables to the User.inc file (accessible through Right Click > Preferences...).

New variables:
  • Width
  • barCorners
  • strokeWidth
  • alphaBackground
  • alphaIcon
  • alphaText
  • alphaStroke
Now the user can type width and corners, which means the closed version of the bar can be a square or rectangle with rounded corners instead of only a simple circle. Now it is possible to add a stroke, and also change it's color.

dAsset 2c.jpg

Changes to the general context menu (Right Click):
"Change Color" option has a sub-menu to select between background and stroke color.
New "Change Orientation" option. Now it is possible to open the bar from right to left, left to right or from the center. (Right Click > Change Orientation)

Orientation.gif

New engine:
Added "Edge.ini" engine as an example on how to search using a specific program.

Untitled-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
Other changes:
  • Changed mWidth variable name to maxWidth. (Width when the bar is open).
  • Changed textContrast from 7 to 8.
  • Changed nWidth variable name to vWidth (variable width)
  • Now text size won't be affected by the iconScale variable.
  • Reddit icon is now only the white character (without the orange circle)
Updated package on main post

Note on transparency (alpha): Due to an InputText plugin limitation, making the bar fully transparent will make text disappear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tass_co

Re: Multi Search Bar

Post by tass_co »

It is nice :great:
One suggestion; A button can be added to search the data in the clipboard
I don't know where i going from here, but i promise it won't be boring... :great:
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

tass_co wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:48 pm It is nice :great:
One suggestion; A button can be added to search the data in the clipboard
Hey, I'm afraid I don't really understand the use case scenario. Isn't it using Ctrl + v the same? Could you please elaborate?
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

RicardoTM wrote: April 18th, 2024, 11:26 pm Hey, I'm afraid I don't really understand the use case scenario. Isn't it using Ctrl + v the same? Could you please elaborate?
Of course, to reduce dependence on the keyboard.
I can't explain the scenario exactly, but I thought it would be more useful.
I don't know where i going from here, but i promise it won't be boring... :great:
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

tass_co wrote: April 19th, 2024, 2:15 am Of course, to reduce dependence on the keyboard.
I can't explain the scenario exactly, but I thought it would be more useful.
Yeah I get the part of reducing dependence on the keyboard. What is not clear to me is the clipboard part.

All I can think of is like a recent searches list, that saves the last 5 entered queries. Or maybe a drop down list that can store 5 favorite "links".

I actually had already think of it but I'm still not sure about what functionality would be the best. But I had already made the drop down list:
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter.gif
I'd like you to explain a little more about the clipboard part, since it sounds interesting (although I'm still not sure about it, since all search engines would share the same clipboard history, instead of having options only relevant to that engine).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: April 19th, 2024, 3:19 amWhat is not clear to me is the clipboard part.
I suppose tass_co is talking about adding a "search into clipboard" feature, along the other types of search. For example looking for "John" in the "John went to Las Vegas." text copied in the clipboard. Either that, or looking for a specific clipboard text or item in the Win + V clipboard history (assuming it's enabled in Win 10+). Just guessing here...

Very nice work, by the way. :thumbup:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

Yincognito wrote: April 19th, 2024, 6:23 pm I suppose tass_co is talking about adding a "search into clipboard" feature, along the other types of search. For example looking for "John" in the "John went to Las Vegas." text copied in the clipboard. Either that, or looking for a specific clipboard text or item in the Win + V clipboard history (assuming it's enabled in Win 10+). Just guessing here...
+1 :great:
RicardoTM

Post by RicardoTM »

Yincognito wrote: April 19th, 2024, 6:23 pm I suppose tass_co is talking about adding a "search into clipboard" feature, along the other types of search. For example looking for "John" in the "John went to Las Vegas." text copied in the clipboard. Either that, or looking for a specific clipboard text or item in the Win + V clipboard history (assuming it's enabled in Win 10+). Just guessing here...
Interesting, I'll see what I can come up with, although I don't think it would be an actual feature, but yet another search engine that uses clipboard+ plugin to do so. I'll finish the Drop Down List functionality and then I'll see how to implement that.

For now the list goes like this:
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (1).gif
It is a simple list with 10 items that can be modified, each item has 2 variables, the item tile and the query, so practically if the engine is a browser, you can store 10 websites. If it's a google search bar you can store queries. The title can be modified as well. So the chrome bar would have "Bookmarks" as title but the Google one could be something else. The bar can also be disabled if not needed on a particular search bar.

The clipboard search bar could use the list to store the items on the clipboard hostory, and simply choose one from there, although with that the "search" feature wouldn't even be necessary lol
Yincognito wrote: April 19th, 2024, 6:23 pm Very nice work, by the way. :thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

RicardoTM wrote: April 19th, 2024, 7:34 pm Interesting, I'll see what I can come up with, although I don't think it would be an actual feature, but yet another search engine that uses clipboard+ plugin to do so. I'll finish the Drop Down List functionality and then I'll see how to implement that.
[...]
The clipboard search bar could use the list to store the items on the clipboard hostory, and simply choose one from there, although with that the "search" feature wouldn't even be necessary lol
Yep, indeed. Well, I was just giving a shot at guessing what tass_co meant, he was the one with the proposal so I can't speak too much about the utility of such an additional search engine. I think it's more like a nice feature to have, rather than an absolute necessity. I have no idea if it can be implemented in a feasible manner in a Rainmeter skin, given that I didn't work too much with the clipboard plugin or have a need for such a feature myself. :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth