It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:27 pm

Weather+Location from IP for Gnometer

Weather skins
VortX

Weather+Location from IP for Gnometer

Post by VortX »

I don't know whether this has been done before, but I have created a skin that displays your current location and weather forecast using IP geolocation.

The skin layout is based on Gnometer by poiru. "www.iplocationtools.com" is used to retrieve location and "www.weather.com" to obtain weather forecast.

Feel free to distribute, modify and criticize. If you make improvements, please post them here so everyone can benefit from them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seahorse

Re: Weather+Location from IP for Gnometer

Post by Seahorse »

Nice concept, seems to be having some issues with locations:
Capture.PNG
Newport is to the right of Cardiff in Wales, Locks Heath is to the right of Southampton in England, see map below...

IPligence seems to be more accurate for my location, whether that is the case for others... :confused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

VortX

Post by VortX »

Seahorse wrote:Nice concept, seems to be having some issues with locations:

Newport is to the right of Cardiff in Wales, Locks Heath is to the right of Southampton in England, see map below...

IPligence seems to be more accurate for my location, whether that is the case for others... :confused:

Yes, I know, but that's an intrinsic problem of IP geolocation. It's not as accurate as 3G on a mobile (not to mention GPS). It also depends on the website providing the info and the IP. At home, I get my location wrong by 500 km, while at work, it works perfectly.

On the other hand, "www.ipligence.com/geolocation" does not provide a weather station code, which is necessary to get weather info.

If anyone knows of a website that offers better results than "www.iplocationtools.com" and provides weather station info, just let me know. I've tried "www.ip2location.com" and results aren't very accurate either.
jpmd69

Post by jpmd69 »

Hi VortX,
I did some modd in your weather+location skin. It worked until a few weeks but know it does not.
I can't seem to figure it out why. Can you please help?
Thanks in advance,
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

jpmd69 wrote:Hi VortX,
I did some modd in your weather+location skin. It worked until a few weeks but know it does not.
I can't seem to figure it out why. Can you please help?
Thanks in advance,
Can you create a rmskin package of your skin and upload that?

There are included files, that are not in your original post, that are needed to run your skin, and try to determine why it stopped working.