It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:18 pm

Gmail readers are compatible with usernames with periods

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
chickeen

Gmail readers are compatible with usernames with periods

Post by chickeen »

I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, but after a few hours of messing with different Gmail readers, I've discovered that they're incompatible with usernames with periods, e.g. john.doe@gmail.com. The period seems to mess up the code; I suppose it has to do with URL having an extra "." thrown in there.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to fix it, if it's even possible. Just thought I'd say something about it.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure why, but after about 30 minutes, the Enigma Gmail reader finally connected to my email account (The one with a period in the username). This is the first time it's worked all day, so I'm a little confused. However, it looks like this reader still doesn't work with my email address with the period, only the one without...
Last edited by dragonmage on August 11th, 2009, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adjusted the title so that it does not confuse people.
Chewtoy

Re: Gmail readers incompatible with usernames with periods

Post by Chewtoy »

If you were hitting "refresh" a couple of times to see if it was working, it's no surprise you didn't connect.
Google blocks all IPs that tries to connect many times in a short period of time. They see it as a spambot. So, be careful when you test and what UptadeRate you got.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

chickeen wrote:I'm not sure if this has been reported yet, but after a few hours of messing with different Gmail readers, I've discovered that they're incompatible with usernames with periods, e.g. john.doe@gmail.com. The period seems to mess up the code; I suppose it has to do with URL having an extra "." thrown in there.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to fix it, if it's even possible. Just thought I'd say something about it.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure why, but after about 30 minutes, the Enigma Gmail reader finally connected to my email account (The one with a period in the username). This is the first time it's worked all day, so I'm a little confused. However, it looks like this reader still doesn't work with my email address with the period, only the one without...
There is a known issue with Webparser hanging when you refresh it repeatedly in a short period of time while testing or designing skins. If you restart Rainmeter completely, it clears up. I don't think there is a problem with periods in user names, I just created an account and it worked fine.
chickeen

Post by chickeen »

Hm, I suppose I was refreshing it a little too much...

Thanks for the explanation!