It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:12 pm

W7 VS Problem with directory bar

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
Cory

W7 VS Problem with directory bar

Post by Cory »

I installed this VS http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=appows#/d2lhrrb for my computer recently, and since I'm a retard, I forgot to back things up before I changed things around and I'm now stuck with a huge problem for me.

I am using the Haze theme, but this problem persists with others

Firstly, when I open a folder such as my picture folders or something else, the bar on the top of the window that lets you enter a directory is gone and while it looks better that way, I just can't stand it and wish to make it there again, but have no idea how to.

Secondly and Lastly, when I try to save an image, both the bar at the top and the directory on the side are gone so I can't change folders at all, which is also something that just grinds my gears.

Do you geniuses on the forums have any idea how to fix this?
Mordasius

Re: W7 VS Problem with directory bar

Post by Mordasius »

Did you try deleting it from the skins directory and re-installing?
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

As I understand, this has nothing to do with rainmeter. You must have replaced explorerframe.dll with the one the VS uses, and that causes your "problems" (the VS artist might call them "features" :P). So, you just have to put back the original explorerframe.dll. This will make it look like stock Windows 7 though (only the address bar part). Trough a fast look at the VS page, I noticed that some variations have the address bar and some don't. Try using a exploreframe.dll of a theme that does have the address bar, while you have enabled the theme you want (e.g. "Haze" theme but "Lite" explorerframe.dll).If you indeed want to change back to stock, check if the VS upload contains it, by any chance. If not, please let us know the exact version of your OS (e.g. Windows 7 SP1 32bit).

Always backup before something like that. :) Last but not least, check the comment section of the VS, in case I didn't understand your problem very well, there might be a better solution there.
Cory

Post by Cory »

KreAch3R wrote:As I understand, this has nothing to do with rainmeter. You must have replaced explorerframe.dll with the one the VS uses, and that causes your "problems" (the VS artist might call them "features" :P). So, you just have to put back the original explorerframe.dll. This will make it look like stock Windows 7 though (only the address bar part). Trough a fast look at the VS page, I noticed that some variations have the address bar and some don't. Try using a exploreframe.dll of a theme that does have the address bar, while you have enabled the theme you want (e.g. "Haze" theme but "Lite" explorerframe.dll).If you indeed want to change back to stock, check if the VS upload contains it, by any chance. If not, please let us know the exact version of your OS (e.g. Windows 7 SP1 32bit).

Always backup before something like that. :) Last but not least, check the comment section of the VS, in case I didn't understand your problem very well, there might be a better solution there.
It indeed has nothing to do with rainmeter, hence being in the "other software and customization" section, and I after reading your comment I installed the explorerframe.dll from the "Lite" theme option, and still nothing. I'm going to try restarting my computer, as all I've been doing is switching themes to see if anything changed. I dont think the VS contains the stock, in which case I am using windows 7 home premium..
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

You need to log off or restart, as you said, to see the changes. See if that solves your problem. :)
Cory

Post by Cory »

KreAch3R wrote:You need to log off or restart, as you said, to see the changes. See if that solves your problem. :)
I logged off and on, and the both of the problems still persist.
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

Cory wrote: I logged off and on, and the both of the problems still persist.
Please upload a screenshot of the problem.
Cory

Post by Cory »

address bar at top is missing

Address bar and directory is missing
FlyingHyrax

Post by FlyingHyrax »

This may help: Windows 7 - SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Windows keeps backups even if you yourself don't. :)
Note that this is a bit of a nuclear option - you will need to re-patch your Uxtheme.dll et al to use custom themes again.
Cory

Post by Cory »

FlyingHyrax wrote:This may help: Windows 7 - SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Windows keeps backups even if you yourself don't. :)
Note that this is a bit of a nuclear option - you will need to re-patch your Uxtheme.dll et al to use custom themes again.

I followed the instructions of that article and did it successfully, but I just gave up on haze because it is too much trouble, and now I have found a new theme that fixes these and still looks wonderful