It is currently April 19th, 2024, 12:37 pm

Disable Illustro Version-Checking

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
bwg

Disable Illustro Version-Checking

Post by bwg »

I would like to prevent Rainmeter from checking for a newer version of Illustro on startup.

I have already checked the "Disable check for updates" box under the About menu, but I'm not sure whether that applies only to versions of Rainmeter itself or to Illustro as well. After disabling updates, however, I did notice that the Rainmeter.ini settings file still updates with the Illustro version:

Code: Select all

[illustro]
version=0.9.2
I have also removed the Illustro theme (using RainThemes), manually removed the skin folders, and purged the Rainmeter.ini settings file of all references to Illustro. Still, every time I restart, the settings file updates with the above code about the Illustro version.

Ordinarily, checking for updates wouldn't be a problem -- I would just click "no" and move along. But in this case, the Rainmeter theme I am developing will be deployed as part of a standard lab image that is maintained by DeepFreeze. After freezing the machine, any subsequent changes are erased on reboot -- i.e. the user will be unable to install any updates that Rainmeter finds. As a result, any user will be prompted every single time they log in.
Kaelri
Developer

Re: Disable Illustro Version-Checking

Post by Kaelri »

This being a bit of a holdover from when we distributed a large collection of default skins with Rainmeter, I would not oppose simply removing the feature.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Kaelri wrote:This being a bit of a holdover from when we distributed a large collection of default skins with Rainmeter, I would not oppose simply removing the feature.
Well, we do want to install illustro with Rainmeter, as we wanted to keep one "starter" skin that you would get on install and not have to download it and install it separately. We also do want to keep the version of illustro current, so when you update to a new version or beta you get the latest one. We don't want to overwrite any changes you have made to illustro manually in the meantime without warning you, so the combination of these things creates a conundrum in this poster's specific case.

I think the best approach while we consider this is to just leave the illustro folders there on your installs. You can remove the theme if you want, and can set up your own theme or control things how you want, but if you completely remove the illustro folders it is going to bug you. I'd rather not throw the baby out with the bathwater though, let us think about this a bit.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Simply delete illustro from Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins and it won't bug you.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

poiru wrote:Simply delete illustro from Program Files\Rainmeter\Skins and it won't bug you.
Aha! Good.
bwg

Post by bwg »

Thanks for the tip, poiru. I'll give it a try and post back if anything goes awry. Also, thanks JSM and Kaelri for your quick responses.

I've used Rainmeter for years for personalizing my own computers, but using it to customize these lab computers has been a real boon. I can push out notifications and desktop customizations dynamically even on the frozen machines using the webparser.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

bwg wrote:Thanks for the tip, poiru. I'll give it a try and post back if anything goes awry. Also, thanks JSM and Kaelri for your quick responses.

I've used Rainmeter for years for personalizing my own computers, but using it to customize these lab computers has been a real boon. I can push out notifications and desktop customizations dynamically even on the frozen machines using the webparser.
You might want to consider a "portable" install that you just push around to really get the most control and be able to more easily lock in a specific standard setup.
bwg

Post by bwg »

You're right, the portable install works best.

Also, poiru's fix seems to have worked.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

May I suggest an option in the installer to install/update Illustro so that those of us who do not wish to have illustro do not need to install it.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
bwg

Post by bwg »

I think it would make more sense to have an option to remove or uninstall illustro (including the default files in the program files directory). Users who are advanced enough to create their own configurations could use the remove option, whereas basic users have an attractive and usable theme out of the box.