It is currently April 30th, 2024, 8:15 am

Call for a Coder to build a Tempurature Monitor

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Call for a Coder to build a Tempurature Monitor

Post by jsmorley »

You can't just use a compiled .dll from some other app in Rainmeter. It would have to be coded from scratch as a Rainmeter plugin in C++ or C#. This would be a huge project, and almost certainly doomed to failure due to the huge numbers of sensors out there that need to be coded for, the fact that a driver that can "hook" to your hardware is required, and that most of the existing code out there is not open source.

I have been using Speedfan with no problem for a long time. I also did a skin with CoreTemp (the app) by having it write to a log and then parsing the log with WebParser. Other than that, I don't see any good solution in the works.
pneuma

Post by pneuma »

Was wondering if anyone has though about signGUI to digitally sign the .dll file??? Not sure if I'm correct in my assumption that you can sign .dll files yourself basically a hack for windows signed drivers or unregistered .dll's???
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

It looks like the latest Open Hardware Monitor SVN code has a windows WMI implementation in it. Details:

http://code.google.com/p/open-hardware-monitor/issues/detail?id=62

I don't have any WMI experience but it looks like that would allow a plugin to be written to interface all of the OHM data into Rainmeter. I'm willing to give it a shot (I have a tons of C++ experience but no WMI) but it will probably be slow going (work/home/etc commitments).
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

TD22057 wrote:It looks like the latest Open Hardware Monitor SVN code has a windows WMI implementation in it. Details:

http://code.google.com/p/open-hardware-monitor/issues/detail?id=62

I don't have any WMI experience but it looks like that would allow a plugin to be written to interface all of the OHM data into Rainmeter. I'm willing to give it a shot (I have a tons of C++ experience but no WMI) but it will probably be slow going (work/home/etc commitments).
Nice!
Get going then. :)
There will probably be plenty of beta testers when you have something.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

TD22057 wrote:I don't have any WMI experience but it looks like that would allow a plugin to be written to interface all of the OHM data into Rainmeter. I'm willing to give it a shot (I have a tons of C++ experience but no WMI) but it will probably be slow going (work/home/etc commitments).
Great, good luck! Feel free to join #rainmeter on freenode if you have any questions and/or need testers.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Indeed.....
If you require anything, and we can supply it, please ask :great:
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

Well I was able to build the latest OHM which includes the WMI mods from source w/o a problem. I decided to write a small test app in C++ to work out the WMI interface and make sure I can get to all the data before trying to incorporate that into a plugin.

I'm using VS 2008 Express C++ but I'm having a problem since ATL isn't included in the free edition so the headers for doing the WMI programming aren't there. Some googling has led me here:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/wtl/WTLExpress.aspx

so I have some hope it's possible w/o buying anything. The SDK download is 1.3 GB so I'm playing the download waiting game right now.

I was able to use a program called WMI Explorer to successfully run WMI queries to the OHM application so it definitely works as advertised. All of the hardware and sensors are visible. I'm thinking that the user can supply the three labels that are visible in OHM (Hardware/Type/Sensor) to configure the skin.
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

Good news!

I was able to find some WMI examples that didn't use the ATL includes (I finally found them in a windows driver download - they were removed from the free version of visual C++). I have a small C++ test program that can successfully examine the hardware and sensors that are available and read the sensor values from a running OHM process.

I need to clean up the code a little bit but I should be able to starting turning this into a plugin today. Once I'm done, I'll probably need someone with some Windows experience to check over the code - I'm strictly an ANSI C++ guy and some of these windows constructs are a little confusing. The main thing that I think I need help on is making sure that the proper resources are being free'd up at the proper times.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Fantastic! Really looking forward to this.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

When ready, we do have a couple of folks that will be happy to pour over youe final code and check into any questionable or problem areas. :great:
You let us know when YOU are ready. :thumbup: