It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:31 am

3d Clock/Weather skin suggestion

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
kjose

3d Clock/Weather skin suggestion

Post by kjose »

I am a noob when it comes to code, so this may be difficult, but is it possible to make a skin where the clock/weather text can be given 3d perspective similar to something like this? Image
(a quick representation i made in paint.net, the PM part is a little off but i had no idea what I was doing)

I like landscape desktop backgrounds, and thought this would look pretty sick if done right. If its been done before, my apologies.
Chewtoy

Re: 3d Clock/Weather skin suggestion

Post by Chewtoy »

Just use a 3D-looking font and angle it in a fitting manner?
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You won't get the "perspective" that way. There isn't any way today to do what you want, and although you can angle text you cannot apply perspective to it. I saw someone who sort of did this by having each letter be its own meter and using progressively smaller fonts and applying an angle, but OMG....
GhostMatrix
Rainmeter Sage
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada 45.5658°N, 73.5898°W UTC -5

Post by GhostMatrix »

Hi kjose!

The best way right now to re-create your 3D clock in Rainmeter is to use images for the time digits.
You have to do the same for the weather text.

GM

3D Clock running under Rainmeter ...
FIFA countdown_3D clock.png
If at first you don't succeed; call it version 0.1

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

GhostMatrix wrote:Hi kjose!

The best way right now to re-create your 3D clock in Rainmeter is to use images for the time digits.
You have to do the same for the weather text.

GM

3D Clock running under Rainmeter ...
FIFA countdown_3D clock.png
You might look at the new "Transfomation Matrix" capabilities Rainy just added. Now you CAN do perspective with text! ;-)

Things are changing too fast for me to keep up!
bendenfield

Post by bendenfield »

yes, but you can do no trapezoids and that's what this perspective strings actually are.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Bendenfield is right. Perspective is actually impossible. You can do some pseudo 3D using skews and rotations, but you would need to add in an extra row and column to the matrix for real perspective to work, essentially turning the image 3D. The basic rule is that the left and right sides are always parallel and the same length. The same goes for top and bottom. The way GhostMatrix suggested is the only way to get perspective right now. A little cleverness and Photoshop will go a long way ;).
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Alex2539 wrote:Bendenfield is right. Perspective is actually impossible. You can do some pseudo 3D using skews and rotations, but you would need to add in an extra row and column to the matrix for real perspective to work, essentially turning the image 3D. The basic rule is that the left and right sides are always parallel and the same length. The same goes for top and bottom. The way GhostMatrix suggested is the only way to get perspective right now. A little cleverness and Photoshop will go a long way ;).
Gotcha!