It is currently May 7th, 2024, 8:17 am

Help needed for Yahoo Weather...

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Chewtoy

Re: Help needed for Yahoo Weather...

Post by Chewtoy »

Shinson wrote:Uhm... donno. I just filled RainRegExp with the homepage (http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/ ... t-2381037/ for example), but I only get a lot of StrinIndexes without the values. Perhaps I forgot something to fill in or I just need a tutorial how to use it the right way...
It wont work because you're not doing it right. ;)
Up in the left corner: Enter the website and click 'connect'.
The big centre window should now be filled by the webpage.
Now, write your RegExps in the RegExp window (the window that has (?siU) in it per default), click 'parse' and you should, if you've written a correct RegExp-ling, get your StringIndexs in the bottom left window.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
Shinson

Post by Shinson »

Chewtoy wrote: It wont work because you're not doing it right. ;)
Up in the left corner: Enter the website and click 'connect'.
The big centre window should now be filled by the webpage.
Now, write your RegExps in the RegExp window (the window that has (?siU) in it per default), click 'parse' and you should, if you've written a correct RegExp-ling, get your StringIndexs in the bottom left window.
OK... that makes sense... Thanks for the food for thought!

Regards,
Shinson
What doesn't kill you, just makes you stranger.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Shinson wrote: Yes. Recognized that. Thought something like...

Code: Select all

IfEqualValue=0
IfEqualAction=!execute [!RainmeterSetVariable "WindDirection" "not available"]

IfBelowValue=16.88
IfBelowAction=!execute [!RainmeterSetVariable "WindDirection" "north"]

IfBelowValue=39.38
IfBelowAction=!execute [!RainmeterSetVariable "WindDirection" "northnortheast"]

IfBelowValue=61.88
IfBelowAction=!execute [!RainmeterSetVariable "WindDirection" "northeast"]
...would do the trick... (just think of 14 more of these lines) but no. That would be too easy...
Yeah, you can't do that. There can be only one each of IfAboveValue/IfBelowValue/IfEqualValue per measure. To get more complicated than that, you need to look at "Conditional Operator" under "Measures/Calc" in the manual. http://rainmeter.net/cms/Measures-Calc
jsmorley wrote:or a Lua script to really get exact and have "NW by N" and such.

Here is an example of using Lua to do it:

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6386&hilit=wind+direction
Argh. Hoped to avoid that. I try to keep my skins as simple as possible, but with the utmost finesse workable. Background is to allow people with lower skills (regarding rainmeter) to use and alter my skins in almost any way they want. Script is not really something like "a version for 3 year olds", if you know what I mean... You know, a lot of people keep tellin' me, how nice those things on my desktop are, but when they see whats behind that magic, the just turn around and keep than telling me "oh, I don't understand that much of computers"... Great. :( I would love to see others have fun with rainmeter, too...

But it looks kind of unavoidable to work with lua. Reminds me of basic. As far as I read here http://rainmeter.net/cms/LuaScripting, questions concerning lua are not that welcome, so I guess I just have to read some more...
Lua is not very hard as programming languages go, and you are right, it has some things in common with Basic. A bit more natural language than C or java. It is a programming language though, not just "settings" like native Rainmeter, and so isn't for everyone.

To your point about getting friends and family into Rainmeter, you will find that IT isn't for everyone either. It's not rocket science, but if someone gives you a blank stare when you tell them to change a setting in Control Panel, or breaks into a cold sweat when you tell them to rename a file, you might be barking up the wrong tree. It doesn't take a computer expert to use Rainmeter, but it takes come level of at least comfort with Windows to use it as a "guitar" and not a "radio". Those getting into Rainmeter thinking it is some variant of Windows Sidebar or Google Gadgets or some such are destined for frustration. It is way, way more than that, but requires just a tad of commitment to learning the basics - to be able to do more than just "use as is" a skin that someone else wrote.
So, thanks for help, especially posting that link to your LuaWind thingie. Haven't found that before... Will be surely of help...
My pleasure. We are here to help, if you are willing to be taught to fish and not just be given a fish. :-)