It is currently September 29th, 2024, 5:27 pm

Cmd on desktop

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Stevvo

Cmd on desktop

Post by Stevvo »

So basically I would like a command prompt window to be part of my desktop, does anybody know how I would go about achieving this, with rainmeter or otherwise?
JoBu

Re: Cmd on desktop

Post by JoBu »

I think you can create a skin that writes input to the command shell, though it would take some reading for me to figure it out myself.

I like the idea - may give it a go after I finish some current projects.

Top of my head though, create a command prompt skin akin to the LuaLauncher by JSMorley (posted here). Through some tweeks, you might be able to link that skin directly to the command shell - I've only given it a cursory look so far - but if not, then using a bang such as InputText and a batch should get you there.

Hope it helps... if I figure it out myself I'll post here again.

Cheers.
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

This actually sounds like a really good idea...

Ill start on one when i get home

But using the inputtext plugin and !Execute this is very easy.

First id make a VERY simple batch file (or autoit, so i can hide the cmd window) that uses command line arguments as variables that outputs or appends the cmd prompt into a file (> or >> respectively)

Code: Select all

%1 > %2
Then id use this as my inputtext plugin command.

!Execute [#CURRENTPATH#RainmeterCMD.bat "$UserInput$" "#CURRENTPATH#RainmeterCMD.txt"]
Afterwords, using webparser id read the output (via the rainmetercmd.txt) back into a string in rainmeter so i can see what the output of the cmd prompt is.

[MeasureRainmeterCMD]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
Url=file://"#CURRENTPATH#RainmeterCMD.txt
RegExp=(.*)
FinishAction=!RainmeterRedraw

[MeterRainmeterCMDTxt]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureRainmeterCMD
Clipstring=1
W=200
H=700
DynamicVariables=1
Of course, a lot of this needs to be tweaked a little, but it should roughly be what you would need for a Rainmeter CMD.
I have three rules when I'm trying to help you.
  • Don't get mad when you don't understand something
  • Be VERY specific with what you ask for.
    The more specific you are, the higher the quality of support you receive.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
SABERWOLF

Post by SABERWOLF »

That's a great idea, I always have my CMD prompt open :)

santa_ryan

Apologies, but I did not get a word you just said? :-(
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

What i just said was use the inputtext plugin to send commands to cmd, then use a special cmd flag to output whatever is in the cmd window to a file, and then use webparser to read the outputted text and display it in a string. I just put a rough skeleton code to get an idea of what was going on if your a coder.
  • Do not just copy and paste what I put in examples and come back saying it doesn't work.
    It does work, but I purposely left blanks that you need to fill for your specific needs.
SABERWOLF

Post by SABERWOLF »

santa_ryan wrote:What i just said was use the inputtext plugin to send commands to cmd, then use a special cmd flag to output whatever is in the cmd window to a file, and then use webparser to read the outputted text and display it in a string. I just put a rough skeleton code to get an idea of what was going on if your a coder.
Thanx for clearing that up, I think :?

But just like your siggy says.
Don't get mad when you don't understand something
It should be understood in due time, can't wait for the finished product.
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

Alright started working on it.

It will have almost every aspect customizable, for the sake of me not making a skin, but rather an example. This means there will be quite a large list of variables (All of which will be preset with defaults, but you can change them as you see fit)

It's going to include a simple autoit file (Source included), so the cmd window will be hidden from view.
Or you can skip the autoit file, but you will have a cmd window popup with every command, your choice.

Multiple pages can be supported, but that's going to be on your own. All of what you need will be in the skin and following shows the relationships between StringIndex Measures, the LinePerPage variable, and the Maximum Lines supported if you want to implement Multi Page Support:

StringIndex Measures * LinePerPage Variable = Maximum lines in file supported
Current Lines In File \ StringIndex Measures =  Minimum Value for LinePerPage variable to view entire file
Current Lines In File \ LinePerPage = Minimum amount of StringIndex Measures to view entire file
If demand is high enough, ill make an autoit script that will simplify the above process, but that wont be for a few weeks, as I have finals coming up.

That being said, i recommend just doing an overwrite of the output file... Much easier.

This is a fairly complex project, so i make no promises on finish date...
santa_ryan

Post by santa_ryan »

SABERWOLF

Post by SABERWOLF »

Checking it out now ;)

If this works it would be great :)
BetaLyte

Post by BetaLyte »

I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but did you ever get anything working out of this?