It is currently April 20th, 2024, 12:08 am

Warning from the Rainmeter Team

Release announcements and important news from the developers.
sgtevmckay

Re: Warning from the Rainmeter Team

Post by sgtevmckay »

JSMorley and I have looked into this here, and I have also seen evidence on other sites I manage.

There are incidents where and account is created, activated, and no posts or maybe one is placed.
A simple comment, or a simple congrats type message.

This account may even seem to be abandoned.
Many of these accounts are overlooked my site Admin, as it can be more trouble to track them down and delete the account than to just leave it.

In 9 months to a year + down the road, that account all of a sudden hits you with 7 to 50+ spams all at once.

Now folks may think that this is a lot of trouble for a spammer or a spamming group, but it is not. With the right software and a shared database.
The spammer(s) do not even have to remember the username and password they set up. The software will do that for them. So when tehy return, they pick a username & password at random and Spam.

Now all that being said; There have been increased incidents since November, where user accounts are being hijacked and then used for spamming purposes. It is unfortunate and hellish, as these folks are not interested in your information, but the massive number of hijacked accounts they can claim to use for spamming sites. This also creates an issue for that original Account holder as they may get eliminated and permanently banned from sites they were active in, as these spammers are also looking for ways to associate original IP addresses to the account, and the IP is also easily spoofed with simple free software.

So your concern of a hijacked account id legitimate.
Do not believe for a moment that it is DA specific, the issue is large and out of control everywhere that I am aware of.
But, be aware of sleeper accounts, as these may, OR MAY NOT, be spamming accounts just waiting to piss us all off :(
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

karmat wrote:I can't believe it, we've been posting about this since day one and even with our comments on the infected skins deviation page, people still download it!!!

I just looked on the new one from today $NEW$ Rainmeter Figures $HOT$ by ResylanA http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/sysmonitor/rainmeter/#/d3eqkh2 and when I reported it, it had 62 downloads. Now it's had 97 downloads. Don't people read!!!!
This person may be symptomatic of what I pointed out in the previous post. ( http://resylana.deviantart.com/ )
He has 5 comments, all of which are old.
Many of his images are readily available from the internet, and I will to bet they are dupes of originals re-sized or slightly modified
All were uploaded 49 to 50 weeks ago.
More information here: http://resylana.deviantart.com/activity/

I would call this a spammer's sleeper account, and not a hijacked account.

As for whether people read the posts?
I am actually impressed at how many folks do.
As most screen resolution will let you see the image the download link, and a few short comments by teh poster.
The user comments come in much lower, so most likely the few who have downloaded are either one or two types.

1.) The folks who can not see our comments below

2.) the initial high number of downloads are spammers on different accounts, purposely downloading the file, to show other potential down loaders that this file has been downloaded before and by several people.

Remember folks that spamming, in several cases, is on a level of organized crime.
You have one account to upload the file, then you get 30 or so other fellow spammers to go in and download the file.
This artificially increase the numbers of times downloaded.
People come along and think; "Well it has been downloaded 30+ times....it should be safe!?!!"
So the spammers create a false sense of security, so the common user will not venture to look at the posted user comments and see if someone has declared a virus.
Spamming is no longer about "Hit and Run" tactics.
There is a new tactic going on as well, but I will detail that when it starts happening here.
It hasn't and my hope is that it stays that way :(
karmat

Post by karmat »

Holy CRAP, Sarge, I didn't know it was so organized!
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

karmat wrote:Holy CRAP, Sarge, I didn't know it was so organized!
And that is just the spammers.

Now imagine an organized group of folks who want nothing to terrorize via viruses and malware.
Trying to obtain your information to sell back to the spammers, or other more nefarious groups.
There are also groups of folks, world wide, that are dedicate to just trying to make others lives difficult; Unfortunately :(

Rainmeter has received many accolades in the last couple of months in countries, that all though do not legally authorized such internet activity, they do nothing to stop folks from acting in this manner.
The only time any notice is taken is when someone big gets hit (ie. Google, MS, Oracle, some federal installation) then it is a big deal.....
The rest of us get to eat SH** :twisted:

So we do what we can to stop them as often as we can.
Just keep in mind that this is not a vain effort.....you are making a difference.
How many computers are not virus-ed right now, because of all of your hard work?
We will never know, but do not think that number to be insignificant :thumbup:

Not to mention the brownie points from our current and future users.
We have all once again proven we are a community that cares about not just the software, but the users as well. That goes beyond the call of duty, and that is not a small thing.

You all are doing well, pat yourselves on the back when you get time.
I for one have come to love and respect everyone of you more than before :rosegift:
karmat

Post by karmat »

I've been checking the ones that STILL haven't been removed (which I also reported again) and I've been posting a comment on the pages of everyone who's faved them. Probably a complete waste of time, but I have gotten one reply of thanks back so far.

You recently faved Soft Rain. If you downloaded it too, you should do a complete malware/virus scan, because it's infected. It's also a complete rip of someone else's work. Could you switch which one you fave so that other people don't download it?
Rip - Soft Rain V3.0 by cspanick http://cspanick.deviantart.com/#/d3e98c4
Original - Soft Rainmeter by dangzster http://dangzster.deviantart.com/art/Soft-Rainmeter-205182908?q=in%3Acustomization%2Fskins%20sort%3Atime&qo=66
VirusTotal report http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=57a631a29ad937d305f3b9113827f61ac86eaf1d70622c607c788f0b5a1dca5b-1303164664
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Interesting...I do not remember Faving thsi one, and it doe snot show in my gallery (Very Little there)
I do not show it in my skins folder or anything DL'ed in the last 6 months :???:

I will double check O.O
karmat

Post by karmat »

Oops, I didn't mean 'you'. That paragraph was just what I've been posting on people's profile pages.

Does this mean I've become a spammer? joking, it's for a good cause!
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Gave me a bit of a heart stopper there ;p
Falconer

Post by Falconer »

sgtevmckay wrote:Gave me a bit of a heart stopper there ;p
Just keeping you on your toes, Sarge. :D
A little adrenaline is good. That's why God created roller coasters.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Falconer wrote: Just keeping you on your toes, Sarge. :D
A little adrenaline is good. That's why God created roller coasters.
Indeed ;)