It is currently April 16th, 2024, 3:52 pm

ImageFiles to [Rainmeter]

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
poiru
Developer

ImageFiles to [Rainmeter]

Post by poiru »

I know relative paths is now supported, but wouldn't it be better if there was something like this:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
ImageFiles=/Skins/MyGadget/Images
Author=MyName
So, if the INI file was in /Skins/MyGadget/ASD, and if the INI file had the following

[MeterMenu]
Meter=IMAGE
ImageName=Menu0.png
X=127
Y=4
Hidden=1
it would take the Menu0.png from /Skins/MyGadget/Images instead of /Skins/MyGadget/ASD.

I think this would be a much more logical solution, as you would only have to copy over the images to a specific directory and add one line to the INI files..

So, what do you think?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: ImageFiles to [Rainmeter]

Post by jsmorley »

legace wrote:I know relative paths is now supported, but wouldn't it be better if there was something like this:

[Rainmeter]
ImageFiles=/Skins/MyGadget/Images
Author=MyName
So, if the INI file was in /Skins/MyGadget/ASD, and if the INI file had the following

[MeterMenu]
Meter=IMAGE
ImageName=Menu0.png
X=127
Y=4
Hidden=1
it would take the Menu0.png from /Skins/MyGadget/Images instead of /Skins/MyGadget/ASD.

I think this would be a much more logical solution, as you would only have to copy over the images to a specific directory and add one line to the INI files..

So, what do you think?
It's a good idea, but I am always fearful of letting "simplicity" become the enemy of "flexibility" in a tool like Rainmeter which is more of an erector set than an application. I like to keep my weather icons in Rainmeter\images\weather\accuweather and my icons for my dock in Rainmeter\Skins\images\docks\dockicons and would hate to see something meant to simplify things getting in the way of me being able to mix and match my image folders in my skin any way I want. I may not want ONE common image folder for all the images I use in a skin. I keep things very common to many skins at a high level, up at \Rainmeter\Images, (like weather icons) and images specific to a certain set of skins making up a "theme" in an image folder in that "themes" structure. In any case we would need to be sure that if that ImageFiles= statement is NOT in the .ini, the behavior is exactly as it is now so it is completely optional.

Sarge and I were having a discussion about this very thing on IRC this morning, and all the while he was suggesting that we come up with a "standard" for where images are stored in Rainmeter, I was going "why would we tell skin makers how to set up their skins?" ;-)

I'm all for making Rainmeter smarter. I would love to see global variables automatically set by Rainmeter, needing no entry in [Variables], that you can use anywhere in a skin and resolve to your Skin folder structure #SkinsFolder# and the program folder #RainmeterFolder# so for any place you need a path you have a firm starting point no matter how another user installing your skin might be set up. ImageName=#SkinsFolder#\MySkin\Images\image1.png or for a helper / addon !execute [#RainmeterFolder#\Addons\RainInput.exe] as examples. However, as you can see the way they are used in my examples, I am free to use them or not as I wish.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

When you think it that way, your view seems much more logical. :)
redblack

Post by redblack »

Uh-ho . . . Here goes morley with his erector sets again . . .

;]
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

redblack wrote:Uh-ho . . . Here goes morley with his erector sets again . . .

;]
Get off my lawn!