Samus Aran

Re: Translation of Rainmeter

Post by Samus Aran »

Thanks, I'll try that. ;)
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

Well, wtf. :D

I opened the .sln in Visual Studio and got a bunch of files in the sidebar to the right.
Which one is the one responsible for the language? :?

Edit: Never mind, I found it in Library -> Source Files -> Library.rc ;)
Do I just have to recompile it by pressing CTRL+F7 after changing the strings?
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

Let me know if you want more languages to be translated. We are a quite wide range of people on the forums, making translations to all kinds of languages shouldn't be to hard.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

I take everything I said about "translating Rainmeter completely" back, it's neither really easy nor is it done in under 5 minutes.
It will take me some time, but by then, I'll have Rainmeter translated to German completely ;)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You do realize that this will have to be done manually for every beta and release going forward? ;-)
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

Yeah...
But I think 3 hours of concentrated translating on a weekend should be enough :D
Or, since I guess that the english strings don't change much, I could simply use the "Search and Replace"-function of Visual Studio :p

On single language file with all the strings in it would be the most simple solution, but I guess this would require an almost complete rewrite of Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The problem isn't so much Library.rc, where "some" of the text for the context menu is, but the myriad other places where error messages, log file text, etc. are spread around. Just finding every place in the code where an English word or phrase can be displayed to the user would be a job. In addition, don't forget that the "installer" isn't even part of the core Rainmeter C++ code, and it would also (in fact I could argue it is the most important bit) have to be translated. The installer is a combination of NSIS scripts and Python. Also, I assume you are planning to translate the .htm files used for "Help" to German?

;-)

Not trying to discourage or make light of your effort. I just am trying to keep this from taking on a life of its own where tons of folks jump to the conclusion that translating a big complicated app like Rainmeter is just a matter of an XML file with some <key>Text</key> entries and boom. The app is in Swahili. It's not that simple and would indeed be a major revision to the Rainmeter code.
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

Yes, I realized my mistake with the library.rc when I scrolled through the other cpp-files :p
But the translation is coming along rather well :)
Look here ->
(If you don't see any picture, wait a few minutes and reload the page a few times, my host is making trouble)
Only the "Current version: xxx"-string is making trouble too, I can't get it to properly display in German, it always switches back to English.
(It could also be possible that I simply forgot to translate one string, I'll look through that stuff later ^^)

So far... ;)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Looking good.

By the way, a new beta is coming out tomorrow...

Kidding.. ;-)
Samus Aran

Post by Samus Aran »

Search-and-replace ftw!!! :p
As said... one day on a weekend should be enough to translate Rainmeter. ;)
It's not like I had to redesign Rainmeter from scratch :D