It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:39 pm

Newpaper Desktop 1.0

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
Tatenokai

Re: Newpaper Desktop 1.0

Post by Tatenokai »

Hi,
Thanks for your long and precise feedback, it's really useful :)
JpsCrazy wrote: 1) You spelled replace wrong in the ReadMe.
2) You could use a notes skin (not hard for a user to create though)
3) Took a bit of time to arrange everything perfectly for my resolution (1280x800) but totally worth it.
4) Change LeftMouseDownAction= to LeftMouseUpAction= in applicable skins (Gmail, Weather, etc, so it's draggable)
5) Not liking the 'Personal Windows Desktop' text (Also, phone numbers and such at the bottom)
6a) Around like 6pm have a skin appear that has like an 'Evening Edition' text near 'Daily News'
6b) Have the coffee cup slowly empty, then refill, then slowly empty after some interval of time. (Sounds included?)
6c) Have the cigarrette slowly be smoked away (Not animation, but like the image would be replaced by a partially smoked one, etc. A bit harder than the coffee due to the background.
1) Corrected.
2) I'm not sure to want to add a notes skin. It would be a little bit "too much", and I don't really know where to put it. But I'm going to think about it.
3) Yeah, I know the Theme isn't well optimized for the other resolutions, and I'm sorry about that.
4) That would be better indeed. Will be changed in the next Version.
5) I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "linking". You mean remove it from the wallpaper and add it as a String ?
6) Add these details would be great, but I don't know how to code a time parameter on an image. Can you help me ?

Thanks again for taking the time to do a feedback ! ;)

For the music player skin, I haven't added one beacause I never listen to music on my computer.
I'm going to think about adding one, but I'm not sure.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I hope this is a "Skin of the Month" candidate...

My only comment is that I think you should change the headline to 'Chewtoy gives feedback on Mona Lisa: "Hey Leonardo, why isn't it done in velvet? Also, you should have her wink!'

:-)
Tatenokai

Post by Tatenokai »

Actually I thought the Skin of the Month must be a Skin and couldn't be a Theme...
But I admit I'm not really aware of the regulation of this contest.
That's perhaps beacause I know Rainmeter for only two weeks. :D

Sorry, but I'm not sure to understand correctly your second sentence (due to my weak level of English). I understand it's a joke, but I didn't get the reference...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It's a reference to a famously horrible style of "art" where a painting is done in simulated velvet and is done in such a way that if you move your head the image appears to change. :-)

Mostly just teasing Chewy...

Tatenokai

Post by Tatenokai »

Haha, Ok . Thanks for the explanation.
So the skin of the month can be a theme ?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Sure. I'm not involved in that, but I'm pretty sure it can.
Tatenokai

Post by Tatenokai »

Ok. So I'll search more information about it :)

Otherwise I have done a beta version of a notes skin based on the easy-art work.
The advantage of this one is that it can be hidden most of the time.
Look at the preview and tell me what do you think about it.
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Tatenokai wrote: 5) I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "linking". You mean remove it from the wallpaper and add it as a String ?
6) Add these details would be great, but I don't know how to code a time parameter on an image. Can you help me ?

7)For the music player skin, I haven't added one beacause I never listen to music on my computer.
I'm going to think about adding one, but I'm not sure.
5) Nope, 'like-ing'. I just think the Personal Windows Desktop should be a Rainmeter skin where you can change the text to whatever our little hearts desire, or maybe just some generic newspaper title. Just not Personal Windows Desktop. A small, unnecessary cosmetic difference, but you said any feedback. :P

6a) This one is simple. Using military time because it's easier to make Rainmeter do things with it when it's day vs night.

Code: Select all

[msTime]
Measure=Time
Format=%H

[msCalc]
Measure=Calc
Formula=msTime>18?1:0
IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterShowMeter mtEvening][!RainmeterRedraw]
IfBelowValue=1
IfBelowAction=!Execute [!RainmeterHideMeter mtEvening][!RainmeterRedraw]

[mtEvening]
Meter=String
Text=Evening Edition
Hidden=1
6b/c) The easiest way I've seen it done is have a time code, just hours, then using the time measure as a variable. The measure is then used as the name of an image. So, you'd have a series of images, 00.png, 01.png, 02.png... 22.png, 23.png, and 24.png. And the image meter would be [msTime].png.
OR
You can do the same thing, but with a substitute, making the times an actually name, designating many times to one image.

Code: Select all

[msTime]
Measure=Time
Format=%H
;Substitute="01":"Full","02":"Full" ... "23":"Empty","24":"Empty"

[mtCoffee]
Meter=Image
ImageName=[msTime].png
DynamicVariables=1
7.) For a music player, you could possibly make the top right picture (girl with her dress caught) have the controls underneath the actual picture, and have the album art over it. When music isn't playing, the regular picture would show, when playing you'd have album art. Tada! But, again, the cigarrette is in the way.

And I really like the notes skin concept you have there.
Thanks for this awesome theme!
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

jsmorley wrote:I hope this is a "Skin of the Month" candidate...

My only comment is that I think you should change the headline to 'Chewtoy gives feedback on Mona Lisa: "Hey Leonardo, why isn't it done in velvet? Also, you should have her wink!'

:-)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Chewtoy wrote: Image
LOL, that's great!