It is currently April 25th, 2024, 1:14 pm

[Suggestion] Desktop Space Reservation

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Amber Shadow

[Suggestion] Desktop Space Reservation

Post by Amber Shadow »

I'm using a large weather skin which takes up the top 5th of my screen. The problem is that when I extract from a zip, or move a file to my desktop it tends to get hidden behind the weather skin. After noticing a reference on the CD Art Display website that they now have added "Screen Space Reservation", I thought it would be excellent for Rainmeter.
Just to make certain; I am not talking about reserving screen space like you would with DesktopCorall, or the RM function whose name I forget right now. My idea is to reserve desktop icon space not screen space. If this idea has been suggested in the past, forgive me: I couldn't find it.
Gotta love the Rain <3
JoBu

Re: [Suggestion] Desktop Space Reservation

Post by JoBu »

I was thinking of something similar, a small tab that produced a slider effect to show various skins on a mouseover event, is that what you mean?
Amber Shadow

Post by Amber Shadow »

That's a neat idea, but I meant to have a function in RM that would make the meter take up desktop space so desktop shortcuts and folders can't populate the same area.
Maybe I'm not explaining it well, but I can't really think of another way to word it.
Gotta love the Rain <3
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

I know exactly what you mean.
Like, the icons/folders/normal windows desktop items are pushed to the edge of the Rainmeter config if a certain setting is enabled.

What you could do is set your weather skin to 'Click Through' for the time being. (Right Click --> Settings)
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I doubt that Rainmeter can control where Windows places it's icons, but I have an idea that should help you out.

I've attached a completely transparent icon to this post.
Download the zip and extract to somewhere easy for you to find.
Rightclick your desktop go to New then select Shortcut.
Set the target to whatever folder you wish.

When it asks for a name for the shorcut hold Alt and press 255 on the numberpad of your keyboard. This creates a "space" character which shortcuts Windows' "shortcut must have a name" policy. You can use multiple Alt+255 "spaces" together to avoid the "Already exists" so that you can have multiple icons with no text. from howtogeek

Now each of the nameless icons should be dragged to the positions you want "reserved"
Then rightclick each go to Properties and click the Change Icon button
Navigate to the blank icon you downloaded and select it

You now have completely invisible icons that are blocking Windows from putting icons in those positions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amber Shadow

Post by Amber Shadow »

That's a brilliant workaround. I'll use it.
I still think it would be a great feature for Rainmeter to have in the future.
Gotta love the Rain <3
Amber Shadow

Post by Amber Shadow »

Turns out the workaround works even better using folders instead of shortcuts. The shortcuts have a stupid little shortcut icon, but the folders go completely invisible.
Gotta love the Rain <3
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Ahh, I forgot about the shortcut arrow as I always have those disabled.
jn_meter

Post by jn_meter »

If I may work thread necromancy: it would be really nice were Rainmeter - like Linux's 'Conky' - to have this functionality, without resort to ingenious but hacky solutions.