It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:29 am

Problem installing Rainmeter on Windows 7 (32-bit)

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
salmanizak

Problem installing Rainmeter on Windows 7 (32-bit)

Post by salmanizak »

Hi,

I have tried both the 1.3 and 1.4(Beta) versions but unable to install Rainmeter on my Windows 7 based Toshiba machine. Any suggestions??

Regards!
poiru
Developer

Re: Problem installing Rainmeter on Windows 7 (32-bit)

Post by poiru »

What happened? Did you get an error? Did it crash?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

What model of Toshiba computer is it?
salmanizak

Post by salmanizak »

poiru wrote:What happened? Did you get an error? Did it crash?
No error, let me explain:

When trying to install ver 1.3, I run the .exe and it asks me to run something on CMD, after which some command quickly runs on the CMD - but I am unable to read what actually goes on. That is it - no error message, nothing. and Rainmeter is NOT installed at the end - no proper installation folder in Program Files nor any other kind of installation traces.

When trying to install ver 1.4, after the License Agreement window, the same happens for 'Standard Installation' - flicker and a quick switch to CMD, something executed or notified on CMD which I am unable to identify. I kept on trying various options yesterday, and the little luck I struck was with the 'Portable Installation' option. For Portable Installation, I was only allowed to install Rainmeter at a location with complete control 'read and write' access - I could not install on C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\ but could install on C:\Rainmeter. I simply installed it on my D:> drive (D:\Rainmeter\) and experimented a little with the themes and skins . . . . but not upto my satisfaction with complete success.

I doubt there is some 'user rights' issue perhaps. But I am the only user on my laptop, with full administrator rights.

Afterwards, once having ver 1.4 installed in portable mode, I was not able to directly open '.rmskin' files through double clicking. Instead, I opened (extracted files) them by choosing a program 'rainstaller' from a folder within rainmeter installation. This lead me have the theme files which I then copied into the 'themes' folder to be applied on my desktop.

Despite of all this exercise, I was not able to use 'Omnimo 3.1' - which is actually what I am working on to have on my machine at the end. Perhaps 'Omnimo 3.1' only works with Rainmeter ver 1.3??
salmanizak

Post by salmanizak »

jsmorley wrote:What model of Toshiba computer is it?
Toshiba Tecra M11
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Do you have UAC (User Account Control) enabled? If so, try right-clicking on the installer and select 'Run as administrator'.

The installer should automatically request admin rights, so that won't probably help, but it's worth a shot.
salmanizak

Post by salmanizak »

poiru wrote:Do you have UAC (User Account Control) enabled? If so, try right-clicking on the installer and select 'Run as administrator'.

The installer should automatically request admin rights, so that won't probably help, but it's worth a shot.
Bingo! playing with UAC and other 'security' settings made me install it properly. I am now able to install Omnimo as well, will experiment with other things in the evening after office :)

I am first time using Rainmeter and the great offerings it has, in terms of desktop customization. One quick question:

Whichever them I have used so far, it places different skins on my desktop; my standards windows taskbar and start button does not get replaced/changed according to the themes. how will this be possible?

In all previews I have viewed for various rainmeter based themes, the taskbar and start button seems also be changed matching the theme.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Rainmeter does not change the appearance of the taskbar -- other programs like WindowsBlinds or custom visual styles do that.
salmanizak

Post by salmanizak »

poiru wrote:Rainmeter does not change the appearance of the taskbar -- other programs like WindowsBlinds or custom visual styles do that.
Ok, so the only way is to have task bar in 'auto hide' mode. But in this case the task bar space still remains blank, I mean the size of the rainmeter theme background seems to be only for desktop area excluding the task bar.

Is there some way to strech/drag and extend size of the background to fit on complete screen (desktop + taskbar area)??
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Your answer is likely in the DesktopWorkArea section of this:

http://rainmeter.net/cms/Settings-Rainmeter_beta