Weather skins
sgtevmckay

Visions+ Weather Beta 3 now available

Post by sgtevmckay »

Visions+ Weather Beta 3 now available :great:

Lets clean this up and make it local for us here at the forum :D

Download here:
Visions+ Download
This package has NOT been updated to return any weather data.
An updated version by eclectic-tech is available here

My thanks to the Rainmeter community for all of your patience in waiting for this latest update :bow2:

I present to you:
Visions+ Weather Beta 3 skin.

Skins:
Moon Phase v1.3 (in Black and White)
Moon Phase v2.1 (in Black and White)
Moon Phase v3.0
TWC 3 Day (in Black and White)
TWC 5 Day (in Black and White)
TWC 7 Day (in Black and White)
TWC 9 Day (in Black and White)
TWC 9 Day 1920 (in Black and White)
TWC Current Day w Moon (in Black and White)
TWC Current Weather Only (in Black and White)

Additional Folders:
ExampleImages (May be empty at this time)
Font (Fonts to be installed as needed)
MoonGraphic (This Folder contains the Moon Icons)
MoonImages1, 2. & 3 (These folders contain the shade over graphics for the moon)
MoonOverGraphics (This file contains the Moon Over Graphics that I have instituted)
skingraphics (Additional graphics for the overall skin)
WeatherImages1 through 11 (There are 11 sets of weather icons to choose from)

You will need the latest Beta of Rainmeter for this set from the Rainmeter Home Page:
Do not worry it is a Beta. The Rainmeter software that we release is stable, even in Beta ;)

There have been so many changes that I would suggest if you have Beta 2 or earlier to uninstall it as the weather skins will be in Visions+. Weather now, but you can keep the old if you like ;)

The big changes for Beta 3:
I have added and additional Moon Phase skin: Moon Phase V3.0 (by Request)

I have also added an extra large 9 day (by Request). This thing is monstrously wide at 1920px. Some one had requested this as a family has difficulty with smaller objects on the computer screen. It is also my hope that this may be viewable on very large screen TV's, but you will have to test. In my experience the Text gets fuzzy and unreadable, but try it and let me know ;)

I want to give special credit here:
Background Toggle switch. (click once to activate background. Double click to deactivate background):

This is what I would highlight as the top feature of the Beta 3 release. I received a suggestion from =AmberShadowDesign at DeviantART, with a most excellent concept, and to him we should all give full credit. I believe this so much so, that I have openly credited him for the concept and ensured that he can be found.
The Diamond shaped button in the upper right corner, on a single click, activates a shaded background!
A double click will hide the shaded background area.
This concept was developed for the purpose of fully viewing the skin when wallpapers obstruct key views of the skin. the ability to read this skin has always been dependent on using a limited amount of wallpaper or skipping the use of this skin. this concept eliminates this altogether.
This back ground area can be customized by the user to any color or opacity level.
By default the background is no longer or wider than the skin needs, but I have left this so the end user can go in easily and adjust the width and height of the background while maintain the ability to toggle the background area.
When you click the button; you may experience a two second delay as that is how often the skin updates. So click once and be patient for the skin's background to appear. The same goes for double clicking to hide the background.
If this option becomes one that you use quite often; swing by =AmberShadowDesign's DA page and drop him a note of thanks.

Included a documentation manual on getting started and how to read the various skins, and some basics on getting translations and substitutions working ;)
This documentation is in PDF form and can be accessed by click the Help ( ? ) symbol in the upper right corner of the skin.

Let's see....ah yes.
Many of you will notice that there are picture in the moons. This is my new Moon Over Graphic addition.
These images are actually between the moon and the phase graphics. They are interchangeable, and you can add your own. If you do not like it, that's OK to; just leave the appropriate area blank in the ini file ;)

You will also notice that there are different color and images of moon.
I have not made it possible for you to have different colored moons. I have added many by request.
There are currently 10 moons to choose from :)

I have added some more weather image sets that were graciously sent to me, and some of these are fantastic :D

You want more????!!!! O.O

Well there's more!!!
I have correct links so that you can now freely move the skins with out opening a web page needlessly. All Thanks to jsmorley's suggestion :D

More!?!!
Hover over any Weather Image or moon image in the weather skins.
This will bring up the day, or night, forecast ;)
You will now have as complete weather as I can provide without compromising skin space :D

MORE MORE MORE!?!!
I have rewritten the codes, many are now smaller than before, and in doing so I have gone to great lengths to make sure that adding foreign translations can be done with out traveling all over the ini file looking for "That" area to add a substitution ;)
(Some of this is still a work in progress. Read Manual for more information)

Still more you say?
Well I will leave it up to you to explore the skins, the Documentation, and the ini files to find the surprises that I may have forgotten to document here :D

STILL ASKING FORE MORE??? O.O
well more is coming, as Beta 4 is in the works now.
so standby ;)

A little inside:
I am going to expand on Visions+.
so look for:
CPU Monitor skins
Wireless monitor Skins
and many many more in the future

I have added some links to give credit to various sources and to obtain further information and assistance as needed ;)

I have also started accepting Donations:
Donations can be made to The Sarge's Fund. Simply double click the Dollar sign in the upper right corner of the skins, and you will be delivered to a page to donate.
Donations will be parsed to the various programs that I support at my discretion ;)

I also accept donations at my DA profile page....spare a coin if you can to support the Rainmeter Community

I know many of you have been waiting a very long time for this third release, and I hope I have not disappointed.

I also know that many of you will want to crack the ini files and modify these skins to your own needs.
I hereby give my permission for any one to use any portion of this skin and make any modifications they see fit ;)
All I ask ask is to observe the share and share alike, give credit where credit is do folks ;)

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask

Have fun

Regards
The Sarge
sgtevmckay

Re: Visions+ Weather Beta 3 now available

Post by sgtevmckay »

Visions+ can now be downloaded directly from the first post :great:

Apologies for my laziness yesterday in having a DA release only :oops:

Have fun :thumbup:

Regards
The Sarge
Dojomoto

Post by Dojomoto »

Thanks for all your effort on making the best (IMO) weather skin available for Rainmeter! I love the 9 Day forecast 1920 white skin SIZE, because I can more easily read the text (I have cataracts), but it takes up so much real estate on the screen, I am trying to modify it to only show 5 days forecast but still using the nice larger size. If I could request a version of that for Beta 4 I would really appreciate it!
Until then, could you tell me what line I'd have to modify to move this one element, because I can't figure out the name of the element. It is the object I've pointed to with the green arrow.
Thank you so much for your time, sgtevmckay !

Dojomoto

Post by Dojomoto »

With more investigating I discovered the symbol as Sunset_Symbol and made my adjustment! I kept trying to associate it with the moon as 1: it has a moon crescent graphic; 2: it is placed near the moon data (making me think of moon rise rather than sun set).
I wonder, would adding a moonrise meter be possible? It's sometimes helpful info when I want to make amateur astro observations.
Thanks again for everything Sarge!
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Apologies for the late reply

I am already working on Beta 4 and another skin or two ;)

What you are looking for is : [Sunset_Symbol]

Chane the: X=
To the needed length

I am so glad that this size is working for you, as folks with eye site problems was a target group.
On your input alone, I will adjust for the other skins for this purpose.

The work you have done so far looks great....good work friend :great:

If you hit any further issues let me know ;)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Dojomoto wrote:With more investigating I discovered the symbol as Sunset_Symbol and made my adjustment! I kept trying to associate it with the moon as 1: it has a moon crescent graphic; 2: it is placed near the moon data (making me think of moon rise rather than sun set).
I wonder, would adding a moonrise meter be possible? It's sometimes helpful info when I want to make amateur astro observations.
Thanks again for everything Sarge!
No problem...my apologies for not getting you an answer sooner :oops:

This skin is truly a mash up, and may get more so by the time I am done :sly:
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

I am looking for an RSS feed that is reliable and has the Moon Rise and set times as well to add to the skin.
I just have not found one yet....

any suggestions are greatly appreciated :thumbup:
Dojomoto

Post by Dojomoto »

Hi again, Sarge! Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I finally got things trimmed to my liking, by commenting the extra days I didn't want out and a lot of reformatting of text and things. Admittedly, it's a little tighter than your elegant original version, but I had to make some compromises so that was to be expected. I made sure to leave all your donation stuff and startup logos etc in there with just some format changes as well to make things fit. I will try to find some rss feed with moonrise. I'll start with Sky & Telescope.
Here is my current desktop with your revised skin.

Last edited by jsmorley on January 19th, 2011, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to use [hsimg][/hsimg] for large images
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Looks great and I love the wallpaper :great:
Dojomoto

Post by Dojomoto »

I found that WeatherUnderground has the moon rise and set data on their webpage but I have no idea if it's included in the RSS feed as well. I only found one other site that provided the info via RSS but it was a premium feature and not available for free :/
Thanks for listening to my continued babbling lol.