It is currently April 25th, 2024, 5:08 am

A Norton Plugin

General topics related to Rainmeter.
King Damager

A Norton Plugin

Post by King Damager »

Ok, although being fairly new to Rainmeter, it is quickly becoming something of a passion of mine. The only real reason I still have windows sidebar in fact is for it's 'Norton' feature.

Basically, it allows me to check on the status of Norton - if it's fine it just displays protected, if there's an issue, I can click fix now, and it will take me to the relevant screen.

As there is a version of this for windows sidebar I'm about 90% certain that it should be possible to create one in Rainmeter. Having hunted around a bit I don't seem to have found one already, so thought it might be a great idea for one of my first adaptations.

What I really need is to know which plugin to use though, once I know this I'm not sure I should have too many issues, beyond the obvious look/feel kind of element, which I want to try and work out on my own! After all practice is how we get good at things :)

kd
Chewtoy

Re: A Norton Plugin

Post by Chewtoy »

Does Norton somehow write to the registry that you can use?
Does the title in Norton change so you can read that?
http://rainmeter.net/cms/Plugins_beta <-- These really are the only plugins supported by Rainmeter. So if you can't to it with them, you'll need to find a third party you can use somehow. Don't ask me how, for I don't know.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
King Damager

Post by King Damager »

Chewtoy wrote:Does Norton somehow write to the registry that you can use?
Does the title in Norton change so you can read that?
http://rainmeter.net/cms/Plugins_beta <-- These really are the only plugins supported by Rainmeter. So if you can't to it with them, you'll need to find a third party you can use somehow. Don't ask me how, for I don't know.
I imagine it must do one of these things, as windows sidebar does allow me to do it... I'm not quite sure where to look really for something that might give me a feed or something to go off... :S

Here's a basic couple of screenys to try and make it clearer.

Now, this is what it looks like if Norton is working fine - Normally I don't need the application up, I can just have it in system tray and it will still happily take the info in the windows sidebar, just have it up for demonstration purposes.

Now, if say there's a problem - I disable firewall for example sakes it will look like this:

What is more, even when I choose to just have the program running in the taskbar I can click 'Fix Now' if there's a problem on the windows taskbar version and it will fix it without having to maximise Norton - Now to be honest for an own programmed skin, I'd be more than happy for it just to open up Norton if it detects there's a problem and I can just fix it in there....

I really think this should be possible, just not entirely sure how at the moment.... Guess it might have to be a later project once I've worked everything out more!

kd
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The long and the short of it is that if Norton creates some kind of log of what the current state of things are, or some historical log of states / activities, you might well be able to parse useful info out of the file with WebParser and a "file://" URL. Otherwise, I would say absolutely not, and there is no, nor any plans for, any kind of plugin to interact with Norton.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Upload the gadget file(s) for Norton here. I believe they're stored in Program Files\Windows Sidebar.
King Damager

Post by King Damager »

I can understand if yeah there is no plans for any plugin to interact with Norton, was just wondering really if something compatible would be possible... More yeah, was trying to work out how the Gadget gets its info and therefore whether I could read it through some kind of Rainmeter plugin... and as I'm not quite sure how it works, was just wondering if anyone knew

As requested by Poiru, I've uploaded a copy of the gadget files.

kd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.