It is currently September 29th, 2024, 5:37 pm

Memory & SwapMemory

General topics related to Rainmeter.
peter8802

Memory & SwapMemory

Post by peter8802 »

Hi All,

It is my first post, so please do not fluster for me ;-)

I have problem Why when I use "SwapMemory" in my laptop I see "Memory" it is mind RAM+SWAP, how to make it to see only SWAP ?

I try to use function CALC(Memory - RAM) but it not work well, because it not working with Total=1 and InvertMeasure

Thank you in advance
Best regards,
Peter
Chewtoy

Re: Memory & SwapMemory

Post by Chewtoy »

Measure=PhysicalMemory and Measure=SwapMemory are two different measures. They are also different things, PhysicalMemory measure your actual RAM, while Swap measures your defined swap.

[MeasureSWAP]
Measure=SwapMemory
Total=1

This will show you your total swap.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
peter8802

Re: [Solved] Memory & SwapMemory

Post by peter8802 »

Chewtoy, I understood you, and I thnig that like you say it must be correct, but in my notebook is differently ;-(
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3263/rainmeterk.png
Please see in picture(print screen file), I have only approx 8GB SWAP, and 8GB RAM, but in Rainmeter I see total SWAP 16GB..... Why?

And the second problem, I have script in Visual Basic Script with can show me:
-Place of SWAP file
-Total SWAP file
-Currently use
-Max used from beginning of start my notebook.

I know in form is usage Polish language, but I give source of VBScript file and upper I explained its.

So... Somebody can tell me why when I usage in rainmeter SwapMemory show me: SWAP + RAM ??
and why VBScirpt inform me that SWAP file is not use(0MB) but in Rainmeter I see 2 230 - 2 042 = 188MB ????

If somebody can Check it in your own Rainmeter, I will be very gratefully ;-)

ohh... sorry for my not very well English....
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

As it seems, this is actually how rainmeter was initially written, and other programs work this way as well, like Everest.
PhysicalMemory will return your RAM. SwapMemory will return your RAM+SWAP. Memory will return PhysicalMemory+SwapMemory.
This is being looked at. Thanks for taking notice of this.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
peter8802

Post by peter8802 »

PhysicalMemory will return your RAM
Yes, you have right
SwapMemory will return your RAM+SWAP.
Memory will return PhysicalMemory+SwapMemory
So what is different between "memory" and "swapmemory" ?

RAM - 8GB
PageFile -8GB

SwapMemory = RAM+PageFile = 16GB
Memory = "PsyhicalMemory" + SWAP = 16GB????
So... What is "PsyhicalMemory" ? always I think it is RAM ????

Other question.....
If i want see only usage/total of PageFile(like SWAP), not like this SwapMemory, it is possible ?
I try to use function CALC but is something wrong ;-(
current usage - OK
free - OK
Total - Not working
% - Not working
Bar - Not working

You can see in picture what I change - only, in script of skin Rainmeter.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4453/rainmeter2.png
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This may give some clue as to how Rainmeter is seeing things, even though we are now of the opinion that what some of these measures are "called" needs work.

peter8802

Post by peter8802 »

Oki, Thx for information ;-)

I have two last question
- PhysicalMemory = RAM
- SwapMemory = RAM + PageFile
- VirtualMemory = SwapMemory + PhisicalMemory = RAM + RAM + PageFile

So... Why to calculate VirtualMemory I thing everyone take twice RAM ?? - I try to find answer in Google but it is too easy, or I am to stupid :/

2. It is possible to get information in Rainmeter about PageFile(total, current using, free) ???
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

peter8802 wrote:Oki, Thx for information ;-)

I have two last question
- PhysicalMemory = RAM
- SwapMemory = RAM + PageFile
- VirtualMemory = SwapMemory + PhisicalMemory = RAM + RAM + PageFile

So... Why to calculate VirtualMemory I thing everyone take twice RAM ?? - I try to find answer in Google but it is too easy, or I am to stupid :/

2. It is possible to get information in Rainmeter about PageFile(total, current using, free) ???
2. You can use the PerfmonPlugin to read Pagefile usage and total I believe, then calc the free from those values.
Eversor86

Post by Eversor86 »

Sorry for bringing that topic alive again but I try to do the same thing in RainMeter. So to get basic info of pagefile. Problem is that doing TotalSwap-TotalPhysical memory gives me a value of 510 MB and I have 512MB set in Windows options, which isn't actually the biggest problem here.

Other thing is that I used perfmon plug-in to get % Usage. I got the value. Thing is that in perfmon app the % Usage is shown in %, but actual value is shown in thousands so 42211 for example, thou perfmon plug-in read value of over 53000. I even used my friend help and tested things on his side. For his 10% so 10000 in perfmon, perfmon plug-in shown him over 100000, so 10 time more. With such big difference per PC its impossible to make nice skin usable by many. As long as real Page File usage is concerned. And as long as We don't want our end users to perform reading 2 values (one from plug-in one from perfmon itself) and write them into config.inc file.

Or is it just me? And I just use things wrong? I give below the Measure part to get Usage from perfmon. Maybe I need to set some other things? Thou I don't suppose any more are necessary. As I need total pagefile info across all page file files XD.

Code: Select all

[MUsedSwapC]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Perfmon.dll
PerfMonObject="Paging File"
PerfMonCounter="% Usage"
PerfMonDifference=0
E_E_J

Post by E_E_J »

Problem I seem to be having is getting the value displayed in perfmon to be displayed by rainmeter.

I have vista and pagefile is listed as a % . well if I set my pagefile to a set value then I know whatever % it is, I will know the total value being used. Here is the problem, the meter wont display the value for me. Perfmon says im using around 8% of my pagefile, but for some reason I cant get rainmeter to say 8.

Iv tried this setup

[MeasurePage]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Perfmon.dll
PerfMonObject="Paging File"
PerfMonCounter="% Usage"
PerfMonInstance="_Total"
PerfMonDifference=0

along with this to display the information

Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasurePage
X=5
Y=45
StringStyle=NORMAL
FontColor=#fontColor.Text#
FontSize=#FontHeight#
FontFace=#FontName#
Precentual=1
Postfix="%"
NumOfDecimals=1

Not sure if im missing anything. Im no programmer, but from the guides I been looking over this seems like it should output the total value of what perfmon can see under Paging File (which is the listed object) the counter is % Usage, and the instance is _total, which displays a value in percentage.

On a side note, does the version on Rainmeter effect how it reads perfmon?