It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:02 am

Question about RainThemes and .thm files.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Fezz-ii-

Question about RainThemes and .thm files.

Post by Fezz-ii- »

Hey All.. I'm having trouble packaging my .rmskin file. But this topic is about .thm files.

When packaging a .rmskin, which file do you package as a theme for rainmeter to use to open skins after installing the .rmskin? Should it be the folder located here?
  • C:\Users\Fezz-ii-\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Themes\
If it is this folder, the file in it looks too simple to be the one I'm looking for.. This is all it contains. (The .thm file)

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
SkinPath=C:\Users\Fezz-ii-\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

[Gnometer]
SetStyle=Vertical
Version=1.2.1
Edit: The theme I'm packaging looks like this.

Thanks in advance.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Question about RainThemes and .thm files.

Post by jsmorley »

The way themes work is that when you use RainThemes and save one with a given name, it just copies the current Rainmeter.ini from Appdata\Rainmeter to "Rainmeter.thm" under Appdata\Rainmeter\Themes\ThemeName (where ThemeName is the name you give it in RainThemes.)

If you tell it to, it will also save your current desktop wallpaper in that same folder, but I don't really recommend this for distribution as diverse screen resolutions make this problematic.

So to create a theme for a .rmskin for your setup, the best way is to just get your own computer looking exactly as you want the result to look like. Then save it as a theme using RainThemes. Then just copy the entire folder Appdata\Rainmeter\Themes\ThemeName and put it in the \Themes folder in your template for the .rmskin.

There are additional complexities if your setup should be distributed differently for different screen resolutions, where you might want to manually edit the .thm file to use variables like #SCREENAREAWIDTH# and such so your skins lay out in the right places on different resolutions. Just be careful with this. If you do this kind of manual editing in the actual Rainmeter.ini file that is running, and you even move a skin by one pixel by dragging on the screen, Rainmeter will undo all your hard work and put hard values for WindowX and WindowY and such back in Rainmeter.ini.