It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:25 pm

Transformation matrix?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Jkon

Transformation matrix?

Post by Jkon »

I'm trying to apply a matrix to a string meter in order to fake some perspective.I need to achieve roughly the following shape
Sample#1.png
As you can see,this involves a non parallel skew along the y axis and all i can achieve is a parallel skew.I have spent several hours trolling through info on matrices online today and to be honest most of it is double dutch to me.Is it possible to achieve the shape i want with rainmeter and if it is could someone please,please point me in the right direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Transformation matrix?

Post by Alex2539 »

Transformation matrices cannot do that.
ImageImageImageImage
Jkon

Post by Jkon »

Thats what i figured,having dug around a bit more,from what i can gather a perspective matrix is different.Might we see that ability incorporated into rainmeter in the future?
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

Doing that would demand an implementation of a graphics engine.
Believe me, I've already been on the devs for this. And that's the answer I got. Which really is a more nice way of saying "No".
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
Jkon

Post by Jkon »

I didnt realize it would involve such a drastic step.Cant blame them for wanting to skip that idea.
limpet

Post by limpet »

Chewtoy wrote:Doing that would demand an implementation of a graphics engine.
Believe me, I've already been on the devs for this. And that's the answer I got. Which really is a more nice way of saying "No".
From what I understand, Rainmeter uses GDI+ which is quite capable of doing this, just not with a transformation matrix. It could be possible to create a new polygon meter type which would fill in the area between 3 or more points. But this would require adding to the Rainmeter code and I don't think that's priority for the 1.3 release.
Limpet makes music: [Soundcloud][Reverbnation][Myspace (ick)][Uvumi][Electronic/Dance]
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Hardly a priority, and really, how could we just add polygon and not the other hundreds of drawing routines in GDI+? To be honest I can't see any reason for it (unless we want to really do a LOT of work on Rainmeter to add full drawing capabilities with all that entails) other than to scratch some weird itch for someone who just doesn't want to be bothered firing up Gimp or Paint.Net or something.

I'm not opposed to it certainly, feel free to download the source and let us know when it is ready for testing! ;-)
limpet

Post by limpet »

jsmorley wrote:Hardly a priority, and really, how could we just add polygon and not the other hundreds of drawing routines in GDI+? To be honest I can't see any reason for it (unless we want to really do a LOT of work on Rainmeter to add full drawing capabilities with all that entails) other than to scratch some weird itch for someone who just doesn't want to be bothered firing up Gimp or Paint.Net or something.

I'm not opposed to it certainly, feel free to download the source and let us know when it is ready for testing! ;-)
Haha, give me a year and I just might be able to make that announcement. Assuming nobody else has it done first. :p
And for that matter, if you're going to do that much work rewriting Rainmeter, might as well redo it with OpenGL or D3d, right? Maybe OpenGL or Qt would be better.

Actually, you've got me curious as to how hard that might be. I'm off to get VS Express (no officer, I left my legit IDE in my other computer).
Limpet makes music: [Soundcloud][Reverbnation][Myspace (ick)][Uvumi][Electronic/Dance]
Jkon

Post by Jkon »

"other than to scratch some weird itch for someone who just doesn't want to be bothered firing up Gimp or Paint.Net or something."

I totally agree with that but it was actually a string meter i wanted to use it on.It would be a handy function to have for personalizing string meters to go with wallpapers or things like that,but as it involves so much work to implement it i would definitely agree that it's just not worth the effort.