It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:55 pm

Rainmeter and Computer Science

General topics related to Rainmeter.
BlueDAngel

Rainmeter and Computer Science

Post by BlueDAngel »

Can anyone tell me the relationship between Rainmeter and computer science/programming? I want to major in that field and would really like to work more on Rainmeter if they have similarities. I would guess that computer science is harder to program but I'm hoping that there is some things I can learn with this program that applies to that field.

Oh, and sorry if this doesn't belong here.
Chewtoy

Re: Rainmeter and Computer Science

Post by Chewtoy »

Rainmeter isn't really programming as such.
It is a program that you write instructions for how i should behave - you can not create some mega awesome program that microsoft will steal from you, knock you out, and sue you for copyright infringement.

While the actual program is written in C++, the stuff we write in the inis is really gibberish for anything except rainmeter.

What you might learn with the help if rainmeter though, is keeping it structured in a easy way. And how something will fail catastrophically if you misspell something.
That's about it I think...
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
BlueDAngel

Post by BlueDAngel »

Lol. Ok I see what you mean. Thanks for the reply.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rainmeter would be the worst possible place to start. Skins are not programming at all, and teach you very little that would be of use in other endeavors. The Rainmeter program is in C++, which I would argue that while still a very powerful language for low level programming, is pretty much supplanted by more advanced GUI level languages like C#, python , ruby and web centric languages like php, and javascript and all its cousins.

Invaluable in some ways to fit in a solid background in C programming. it in many ways the ancestor and starting point for most everything else. I've often said if you can program well in C, you can program in ANYTHING if you have a manual if front of you to help with specific syntax. However, don't focus on C or C++ as the end goal, but a foundation. Get into one of the languages / architectures for the 21st century.