It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 3:41 pm

help from the first step!

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
JpsCrazy

Re: help from the first step!

Post by JpsCrazy »

Post the code?
There's a few things. There may be the wrong prefix in the url (it changed some time ago and some skins didn't get updated to fix it) or it could be some other small issue.

Because I'm technically not even an adult. :P
Nice to meet you too.
4lieNFr3aK

Post by 4lieNFr3aK »

well... u behave like one 4 sure.. :D
hm,here it is : http://www.weather.com/weather/today/SRXX0018:1:SR

and,in the text file the url is : URL=http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/SRXX0018?cc=*&unit=m&dayf=6

so,what am i doin wrong ? ^^

btw,can u pls explain to me,for what could i use the rss feed,and,how?(what is rss,never used it)

edited it : Image
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Why thank you.

Hm. Weather codes from weather.com.
Not may favorite.
I honestly don't know what's wrong with the code - you appear to have done it correctly.
Try replacing xoap to xml
(AKA use this url: URL=http://xml.weather.com/weather/local/SRXX0018?cc=*&unit=m&dayf=6 )

Ah, RSS Feeds.
My favorite. (If only sarcasm could translate well over the internet.)
Anywho.
If you know anything about html, it's a big blob of jumbled mess, with 240865 different ways you can make it how you want it. Now, for anyone who wants to get consistent data from there by looking at all the codes, and another site, and another it would be a mess to try to be specific enough to get what you want and read through it all and such like that.
So, RSS has VERY simple and generic codes that are pretty similar from site to site. This way, a program such as Rainmeter can do a much simpler code to get the data it wants rather than attempt to go through the HTML.
It has become as a general statement headlines and links to go to new pages - or site specific things such as pictures or weather info.
Rainmeter can indeed parse html, but it is much simpler and more desirable to parse RSS or another feed. (Such as an Atom feed.)
This may not be 100% correct, but this is my understanding of it.
A better understanding: http://www.whatisrss.com/
4lieNFr3aK

Post by 4lieNFr3aK »

JpsCrazy wrote:Why thank you.
Ah, RSS Feeds.
My favorite. (If only sarcasm could translate well over the internet.)
Anywho.
If you know anything about html, it's a big blob of jumbled mess, with 240865 different ways you can make it how you want it. Now, for anyone who wants to get consistent data from there by looking at all the codes, and another site, and another it would be a mess to try to be specific enough to get what you want and read through it all and such like that.
So, RSS has VERY simple and generic codes that are pretty similar from site to site. This way, a program such as Rainmeter can do a much simpler code to get the data it wants rather than attempt to go through the HTML.
It has become as a general statement headlines and links to go to new pages - or site specific things such as pictures or weather info.
Rainmeter can indeed parse html, but it is much simpler and more desirable to parse RSS or another feed. (Such as an Atom feed.)
This may not be 100% correct, but this is my understanding of it.
ktnxbye.... xD o.O

I'll come back tomorrow and bug u when I can do the RSS skin... :D

and,U r a genious man... the xml did it...
tnx so much!

hr Image
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Ahaa, of course.
I may not be much of a help, I tend to take awhile with the webparser plugin. (Used for RSS)
I'll try though. Premade skins usually aren't hard to use/edit.

You're welcome!
And that looks good.
You definately are making everything look nice together.
Something I never had the patience/effort to do.
4lieNFr3aK

Post by 4lieNFr3aK »

heh...im an graphic design student...so i like everything nice clean and tidy ;)

(my weather skin is not working every time i start windows...i need to refresh it,it wont load the info automatically :/ )
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

I know what you mean.
I love everything neat and tidy myself, but I'm going into Psychology. Aha.
Anywho. Your issue.

When you start Windows, are you connected to the internet, or does it take awhile to connect/connects after your Rainmeter skins load?

Weather skins (and other web based skins) usually have a decently large UpdateRate, so it takes them awhile to get new info.
If it was small, the website would get hundreds of hits due to the amount of people using skins like that, and then the regular people using it not with Rainmeter, and it would become overwhelmed.
So if you start off with no internet, the skin loads no info - it can't get the info from the site and parse it for your pleasure.
Then, it has to wait anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to get new info, depending on the value of Update in the [Rainmeter] section of the skin x UpdateRate in the WebParser part of the skin.

That's the only thing I can think of.
4lieNFr3aK

Post by 4lieNFr3aK »

yep that's the case..
i've changed the UpdateRate from 3600 to 500... hope it will work,if not,what the heck,manual refresh is the answer...
is there an yahoo mail skin?
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Be careful - you can be blocked (they think you're some sort of attacker) and get Rainmeter in trouble for having too frequent of an UpdateRate.

Yessir there is.
It all depends on what kind of skin you want.
Look around, you'll be sure to find at least a few good ones.
I know Moxaweather uses Yahoo - but it doesn't seem to match what you're looking for.