It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:04 am

RSS Info Not Sending to Rainmeter Reader

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Efex

RSS Info Not Sending to Rainmeter Reader

Post by Efex »

Hello!

I am using Rainmeter 1.2 rev 440 (64-bit) and Enigma 2.7. My OS is Windows Vista Darker Edition.

I'm currently tinkering around with the Enigma/Sidebar/Reader.ini (not the RSS1, RSS2, RSS3, or Atom files but the main Reader.ini).

After playing around with it I managed to make it cycle through 5 RSS feeds instead of 4. Eventually I'll repeat this to have around 10-14 RSS feeds being cycled through. But then I decided to test it all out and went in to add the Lifehacker RSS feed to the first RSS measure.

This is what I entered:

Code: Select all

[RSS1.Feed]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\WebParser.dll
Url=#http://lifehacker.com/index.xml#
RegExp="(?siU)<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>.*<item.*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)"
UpdateRate=600
StringIndex=1
Substitute=#SubstituteFeed#
As per the directions I changed the value of RSS1 to the URL of the RSS feed I wanted. I know that Lifehacker already displays by default but I wanted to test out changing the URL so I just used Lifehacker out of convenience.

Now my Reader skin will not display the correct feeds. The title and all the links are empty. I went through and changed RSS2, RSS3, RSS4, and ATOM to the Lifehacker RSS URL just to see if any of them would work. No dice. All five of the RSS feeds aren't displaying any information from Lifehacker.

Does anyone happen to know where I went wrong? I'd like to think I can figure stuff like this out pretty quickly but I can't make sense of why it won't receive the Lifehacker updates.

I appreciate any and all advice in this matter.

Thanks,
Efex
tru

Re: RSS Info Not Sending to Rainmeter Reader

Post by tru »

this is the lifehacker feed I use...http://feeds.gawker.com/lifehacker/full
Aarowaim

Post by Aarowaim »

1 question for you and 1 answer.

Q: Why is the URL a variable? (It looks like it shouldn't be, but I don't see the rest of your code)

A: Have you put in these measures properly?
e.g

[MeasureTitle1]
Measure=Plugin
Url=[Feed]
StringIndex=11 <--- This indicates which info you get in this case, the first title.

if you have a string like this:

<Part1>
  <Title>Hello</title>
    <Message>Hi, just saying Hi</Message>
  <Signature>Sincerely, Aarowaim<Signature>
</Part1>
<Part2>
 <Gossip>
   OMG! Did you hear that?
  <Gossip>
</Part2>
And you want what is in <Message> for instance, you need to count the string index. Here's how. Each group of tags (<Tag>Info here</Tag>) =1. Now, here is the string index for that code.
1<Part1>
2<Title>Hello</title>
3<Message>Hi, just saying Hi</Message>
4<Signature>Sincerely, Aarowaim<Signature>
1</Part1>
5<Part2>
6<Gossip>
OMG! Did you hear that?
6<Gossip>
5</Part2>
The string index you place if you want <Message> is 3 because <Message> is the third group of tags.
NOTE: <Part1> and <Part1> Count as the same string because <Part1> starts the part1 string and </Part1> ends that string.
Away for a while :(
Programming isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle choice.
[url=http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1207][b]T34M V.1.5.0.|2[/b][/url] <----I'ts l33t, look it up

Coding Skills: [color=#00FFFF]4.5[/color]
Answering Skills: [color=#00FFFF]4[/color]
Image Editing: [color=#00FFFF]3[/color]
Knowledge: [color=#00FFFF]4.5[/color]
Technical Skills: [color=#00FFFF]3[/color]
Efex

Post by Efex »

Hi,

tru, I forgot to mention this but I did try that URL as well. Unfortunately the results were the same. It doesn't want to display the information for some reason.

Aarowaim, I put the URL as a variable as per the instructions that accompanied the Reader.ini file. It use to say:

[RSS1.Feed]
Measure=Plugin
Url=#RSS1#
RegExp="(?siU)<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>.*<item.*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)(?(?=.*<item).*<title.*>(.*)</title>.*<link.*>(.*)</link>)"
UpdateRate=600
StringIndex=1
And the instructions at the top of the .ini file said: "Instructions=Click the buttons in the bottom-right to switch views manually. | Change your feed URLs using the variables "Atom", "RSS1", "RSS2", "RSS3". | Adjust the period of rotation with the variable "ReaderInterval.""

I don't fully understand what you're saying about the StringIndex. In the code there are many measures for RSS1. There are:

RSS1.Feed (1)
RSS1.URL (2)
RSS1.MeasureItem1 (3)
RSS1.MeasureLink1 (4)
RSS1.MeasureItem2 (5)
RSS1.MeasureLink2 (6)
...all the way down to...
RSS1.MeasureItem8 (17)
RSS1.MeasureLink8 (18)

And they each have a StringIndex starting at 1 and increasing all the way up to 18. They're shown in the parenthesis.

SIDENOTE: Each of these measures has the line URL=[RSS1.Feed] in it, which I'm guessing points to the URL that I set in the RSS1.Feed Mesure.

It's the same thing for Measures - RSS2, Measures RSS3, Measures RSS4, and Measures - ATOM. They all start at 1 and increase to 18.

Would this be the variables that configure how it's displayed on the skin? Or do I have to go in and change all of them to match the Lifehacker website?
Aarowaim

Post by Aarowaim »

That is because they are getting multiple "items" from the page.
The string index is easier to understand like this.
Xml works this way. 1 "string" is an imaginary connection from the "opener" (always in <> e.g <Sample>) to the "ender" which is always by the same name as the opener except that it has a / before the name. e.g if the opener was <Sample>, the ender would be </Sample>. Now, when rainmeter counts the string, it starts at the top and counts every opener. The number it gives to the opener is called the "String Index". If you entered the string index as 4, it would read the information that comes directly after the corresponding opener (opener #4) but before the ender. e.g

<SampleDoc>
<PageTitle>Hello</PageTitle>
<Link>LifeHacker.com</link>
<Story>
Hey, how are you? <----This is what it would read if you put the String Index as 4
</Story>
</SampleDoc>

Each of those meters from 1-18 only show a different piece of the RSS feed.

Now, considering that the lifehacker url has been changed and it is the only thing not working, it may be that you will have to do some (a lot of) retyping. You could try to retype the part under RegExp to match the feed, but it does take a while. I have not fooled around with RSS feeds too much because it takes a while to do, but I do have very extensive knowledge in HTML scripting which uses an almost Identical system, albeit harder to make into a feed.
Away for a while :(
Programming isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle choice.
[url=http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1207][b]T34M V.1.5.0.|2[/b][/url] <----I'ts l33t, look it up

Coding Skills: [color=#00FFFF]4.5[/color]
Answering Skills: [color=#00FFFF]4[/color]
Image Editing: [color=#00FFFF]3[/color]
Knowledge: [color=#00FFFF]4.5[/color]
Technical Skills: [color=#00FFFF]3[/color]