It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:48 pm

Japanese Characters showing up as "???"

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
kyzumi

Japanese Characters showing up as "???"

Post by kyzumi »

Hello, I use foobar2000 and whenever I try using one of those foobar/winamp "players" for rainmeter, the japanese titles displays as "????". It must be a rainmeter issue since on foobar it displays correctly. Even CD Art Display most of the time works well. So how do I fix it? Sorry but I'm a newbie to configuration.

Thank you
Chewtoy

Re: Japanese Characters showing up as "???"

Post by Chewtoy »

What skin are you using?
I am a foobar user myself, my skin displays _exactly_ what foobar prints out.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
kyzumi

Post by kyzumi »

I usee FooAva with foobar. Everything, except for rainmeter, displays correctly. Foobar, CD Art Display, last.fm, etc. I'm trying all the rainmeter skins I can find. The ones I tried, that didn't work, but I would like to use are: Boulevard, Bixx, Dark Glass, dich, Informer (even though the preview screenshot is using japanese characters. I'll have to check that out), ixxPlayer, Moxx.

Thank you for replying
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

Okey. Well. Try the Foobar-skin in this suit Minst 1.0
Be sure to read the instructions for how to set it up.
Just make sure you get the right output from foobar, then you can implament it pretty much where ever you want.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I use foobar too, and when used with the foo_vis_shpeck component or foo_winamp_spam, I've never had a problem with character display in Rainmeter.
I tested some Japanese characters to be sure:

If you've been trying a bunch of different foobar skins and you've followed the directions included with each of them, you may have accumulated several conflicting plugins in your foobar components directory (multiple Winamp emulators plus various http controllers, etc.). If that's the case, my advice is to pick a single foobar skin (either Chewtoy's or the default Gnometer skin) and temporarily remove all the extra components. Keep only what is needed for the skin you chose to see if that makes a difference.
kyzumi

Post by kyzumi »

Hey Matt, That worked!! I can't believe it! Thank you so much. About the Minst skin: I tried using it but I don't know how to install .rmskin files. They should just be double clicked right? For some reason it doesn't work. I get a message saying it is not writable
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm glad you got it working, kyzumi. :)

Yeah, you should be able to double-click .rmskin files to install. I'm not really sure where to begin trouble-shooting that issue. You may need to start another thread to get some help figuring it out.
kyzumi

Post by kyzumi »

Alright, Thank you both of you. the foobar plugin actually ruin CD Art Display for some reason so I had to uninstall it. I'm satisfied though so I won't post on this thread anymore! Thank you
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm kind of curious about the issue with CD Art Display. I never noticed any conflicts between the CAD plugin and the other foobar plugins for Rainmeter integration, although I never ran both CAD and a Rainmeter foobar skin at the same time-- always one or the other.

I'm hopeful that eventually we'll be able to make foobar skins for RM that have most of the functionality of CAD (but without the extra toll on RAM usage CAD brings), with the added benefits of perfect snapping, matching text sizes, styles, etc.