It is currently April 16th, 2024, 11:51 pm

Is SndVol32.exe located in C:\Windows\System32 for you?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
JpsCrazy

Is SndVol32.exe located in C:\Windows\System32 for you?

Post by JpsCrazy »

I'm doing a quick update to my Volume Slider and I want to include a link to the default Windows Volume Control.
I'm pretty sure it's the file SndVol32.exe from researching, and I'm pretty sure it's located in C:\Windows\System32.

Anywho, I have chosen YOU (Yes, you.) to creep into your \Windows\System32 folder and look for the file and confirm you have it and it's the volume control.
If it's different please post what's different about it.

I heard it's different for Vista and Win7, so I don't want an outdated link for the volume slider.
And it's safe to assume most people's main drives are C:?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Is SndVol32.exe located in C:\Windows\System32 for you?

Post by jsmorley »

JpsCrazy wrote:I'm doing a quick update to my Volume Slider and I want to include a link to the default Windows Volume Control.
I'm pretty sure it's the file SndVol32.exe from researching, and I'm pretty sure it's located in C:\Windows\System32.

Anywho, I have chosen YOU (Yes, you.) to creep into your \Windows\System32 folder and look for the file and confirm you have it and it's the volume control.
If it's different please post what's different about it.

I heard it's different for Vista and Win7, so I don't want an outdated link for the volume slider.
And it's safe to assume most people's main drives are C:?
It is SndVol.exe in \System32 for me (Win7/32bit) and I think assuming C: as the system drive is going to be right about 90% of the time, so in other words, wrong.

Why not include %WINDIR% in the path?

LeftMouseUpAction=!Execute ["%WinDir%\System32\SndVol.exe"]

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1

[MeterWindir]
Meter=String
FontFace=Trebuchet MS
FontSize=16
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,150
Text=Click me
Any Windows environment variable can be used in Rainmeter. Run cmd.exe and type "set" to find them.
6-20-2010 10-57-34 PM.png
You might want to Google a bit to find only the "standard / built in" ones, as apps like in my case Ultramon can also add their own that would only be on my machine and not yours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

jsmorley wrote:It is SndVol.exe in \System32 for me (Win7/32bit) and I think assuming C: as the system drive is going to be right about 90% of the time, so in other words, wrong.

Why not include %WINDIR% in the path?

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1

[MeterWindir]
Meter=String
FontFace=Trebuchet MS
FontSize=16
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=0,0,0,150
Text=Click me
Any Windows environment variable can be used in Rainmeter. Run cmd.exe and type "set" to find them.
6-20-2010 10-57-34 PM.png
You might want to Google a bit to find only the "standard / built in" ones, as apps like in my case Ultramon can also add their own that would only be on my machine and not yours.
Never even considered that. x.x I'm so used to the ever-so-often used SkinsPath I didn't think there was some for general Windows. Thanks for the tip!
I'm gonna have a Variable for WindowsVersion (Or something) and put it through a calc to make it pop out SndVol.exe or SndVol32.exe. Or possibly just have a Mixer variable and have people choose which one they use, because I'm sure there's more (of course having the two default ones above in comments with it)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Not sure there is a Windows environment variable that reliably gets you OS version (XP vs Vista vs Win7), but ARE in the registry and you can get them with a registry measure.

P.S. don't forget that Windows environment variables are %VARNAME% and the built-in Rainmeter ones are #VARNAME#.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

Oh, sorry, I was a bit unclear. I don't really wake up and realize what's going on for a good 5 hours or so...
I meant a user defined variable. Like:
[Variables]
;Win7 = 1, WinXp = 0
WindowsVersion=1

Then a calc with if statements and such.

I may try the registry option if I feel up to it.
The question is, do I feel like scouring my registry and google to find it and see if it's always the same? I'm sure I will eventually. :P

And I'll try to keep that in mind!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Pretty sure this entry has worked since at least XP +

[MeasureVersion]
Measure=Registry
RegHKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
RegKey=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
RegValue=ProductName
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

If it works for XP, Vista, and Win7 I'm content.
I read around and found it's also found in a .ini file in the \system32 folder (prodspec.ini), and I was considering parsing that file. A bit too intrusive?
A nice little note is attached: ";Note to user: DO NOT ALTER OR DELETE THIS FILE."
I'll stick with the Registry value, unless there's a problem. ;)

How important would it be to have it include OS versions such as 2000?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

JpsCrazy wrote:If it works for XP, Vista, and Win7 I'm content.
I read around and found it's also found in a .ini file in the \system32 folder (prodspec.ini), and I was considering parsing that file. A bit too intrusive?
A nice little note is attached: ";Note to user: DO NOT ALTER OR DELETE THIS FILE."
I'll stick with the Registry value, unless there's a problem. ;)

How important would it be to have it include OS versions such as 2000?
Well, it depends. If there is whole different thing for sound volume in 2000 or Server 2003 or whatever, then you might have to differentiate. However, I'm betting it the same as XP on 2000 and Vista/Win7 on Server 2003.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

I'll look around, as of right now I've just excluded them from having a shortcut. :P
(With the assumption a string value is = 0)

[Edit] Moving to its own thread...
Also, I got the version, I've converted it to numbers and I can get those to display correctly. Problem is, when I put that through a calc it's always 0.

The code:

[msVersion]
Measure=Registry
RegHKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
RegKey=SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
RegValue=ProductName
Substitute="Microsoft Windows":""," ":"","XP":"1","Vista":"2","7":"2"
DynamicVariables=1

[msCalcVersion]
Measure=Calc
Formula=msVersion
IfEqualValue=1
IfEqualAction=!Execute [!RainmeterShowMeter mtMixer][!Execute "%WinDir%\System32\SndVol32.exe"]
IfAboveValue=1
IfAboveAction=!Execute [!RainmeterShowMeter mtMixer][!Execute "%WinDir%\System32\SndVol.exe"]
IfBelowValue=1
IfBelowAction=!Execute [!RainmeterHideMeter mtMixer][!RainmeterDisableMeasure msVersion]

[mtText1]
Meter=String
MeasureName=msVersion
Text=%1

[mtText2]
Meter=String
MeasureName=msCalcVersion
Text=%1
X=15