It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:04 pm

Using !Zpos Bang to automatically set to -2 'OnDesktop'

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CodeCode

Using !Zpos Bang to automatically set to -2 'OnDesktop'

Post by CodeCode »

Hello,
I have been doing some things with my skins that allow them to be controlled - or not.
I have these three bangs:
[!Draggable "0"][!KeepOnScreen "0"][!Zpos -2][!Update]
They all work famously, but the !Zpos -2 changes nothing, it stays 'normal'.
Is there something I missed that prevents the skin from going to -2 and and staying there, please share.

OK, just went back to that skin and the draggable seems to not want to stay on either.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Using !Zpos Bang to automatically set to -2 'OnDesktop'

Post by eclectic-tech »

Works for me :? ...
Would need to see all of your code or a rmskin package to test any other reasons why it doesn't work for you.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

OK, it turns out that it was only happening with one skin. There are no refresh bangs, so I ruled that out.

The Keeponscreen 0 works ok in that skin, so something is there. However it a huge skin, and a lot to go through, for something that can be set to the desired settings then save it in my layout.

The story is I have been setting the position of all my skins with !SetWindowPosition. So I thought to go one step further and automatically, on refresh, to be draggable 0 and zpos -2.

Sort of a layout backup in case my fidgeting goes wrong and the rainmeter.ini get broken.

Happy with that so, no big deal.

Thanks for offering to look into it for me. :rosegift:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

CodeCode wrote: February 7th, 2024, 3:47 am OK, it turns out that it was only happening with one skin. There are no refresh bangs, so I ruled that out.

The Keeponscreen 0 works ok in that skin, so something is there. However it a huge skin, and a lot to go through, for something that can be set to the desired settings then save it in my layout.

The story is I have been setting the position of all my skins with !SetWindowPosition. So I thought to go one step further and automatically, on refresh, to be draggable 0 and zpos -2.

Sort of a layout backup in case my fidgeting goes wrong and the rainmeter.ini get broken.

Happy with that so, no big deal.

Thanks for offering to look into it for me. :rosegift:
Just my opinion :Whistle

I personally believe those options should be controlled by the end user rather than forced by the skin.

I have done the same as you are considering to several skins and from the feedback by users, I have stopped forcing skin settings for !Zpos and !Draggable in my skins. There are certain skins (mostly full-screen size) that I have forced to disable !KeepOnScreen, but that is something I seldom include in normal skins.

Many times, those settings will not be the desired positioning to work with end users and they are easily controlled by the context menu settings for each skin.

But in the end, it is up to you to decide... :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CodeCode wrote: February 7th, 2024, 3:47 am Sort of a layout backup in case my fidgeting goes wrong and the rainmeter.ini get broken.
Not sure what do you mean by this, however works here as well. If you are still interested, my questions are the following:
Where did you add those bangs? To set the skin on refresh, you have to add them into an OnRefreshAction option added to the [Rainmeter] section of your code (but hope you know this). Makes sure not to have two OnRefreshActions, because in such a case, the second one doesn't work.
If still can't get it to work and you are still interested, add the whole code or the packed config, as suggested by eclectic-tech.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

eclectic-tech wrote: February 7th, 2024, 4:43 pm I have done the same as you are considering to several skins and from the feedback by users, I have stopped forcing skin settings for !Zpos and !Draggable in my skins. There are certain skins (mostly full-screen size) that I have forced to disable !KeepOnScreen, but that is something I seldom include in normal skins.
In my opinion you are perfectly right about this. There are some cases when both settings might be useful, however not to frequently. Definitely doesn't apply to "normal" skins. But for instance long time ago, I've created screensaver skin, which were not visible normally, but when the computer was idle for certain number of seconds, it got visible, covering the whole screen. In this case the Z position setting was extremely important.
But yep, normally most skins shouldn't have any of these settings.
Strictly my opinion however.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

balala wrote: February 7th, 2024, 4:44 pm Not sure what do you mean by this, however works here as well. If you are still interested, my questions are the following:
Where did you add those bangs? To set the skin on refresh, you have to add them into an OnRefreshAction option added to the [Rainmeter] section of your code (but hope you know this). Makes sure not to have two OnRefreshActions, because in such a case, the second one doesn't work.
If still can't get it to work and you are still interested, add the whole code or the packed config, as suggested by eclectic-tech.
Yep, I had those bangs after OnRefreshAction, in the [Rainmeter] section.

I was simply missing the simple observation, that I was not using the bangs as I would have be to get desired results.

eclectic-tech:
I have released most of my skins already, and aside from personal preferences, like color, font size and color etc have been changed, I wanted to set things specifically to my tastes. Also, using those bangs is fun. Like I said, it was a nobrainer, but my nobrain was having a moment. :lol: Everything is working perfectly now. At least to my level of OCD is satisfied. My numb skull tricked me to try to fix a skin and I said fungal it. Then deleted all rainmeter.ini files and cleared my directory - bad move, my last update backed up was from a couple weeks ago, but I changed a lot of the basics and so refilled my skins directory only to find that things were too far back, and yep, nope, didnt back up properly. Setting all of the skins with those bangs ensured upon loading they do so as desired. All I needed was to reinstall one simple dll. You know I'm not normal, dont you? Never mind I had fun getting everything working even better.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CodeCode wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:50 am I was simply missing the simple observation, that I was not using the bangs as I would have be to get desired results.
Why, how have you used them?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

CodeCode wrote: February 8th, 2024, 8:50 am {clip} You know I'm not normal, dont you? Never mind I had fun getting everything working even better.
Who can say what is "normal"? ;-)
All our little quirks are what make us unique and interesting!

Happy you were able to get things back and working the way you wanted. :thumbup:
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

balala wrote: February 8th, 2024, 3:54 pm Why, how have you used them?
I was setting draggable bang to 1 instead of 0. There was another thing but didnt struggle with it so too few memory engrams to specify.

O.O